Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] La/++ akl-scl-mad-hnd €570

[FARE GONE] La/++ akl-scl-mad-hnd €570

Old May 9, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Price seem to double in the opposite direction. Looks like Y from ICN to SCL up to six segments then J on just about every routing I tried back to TYO. Interesting that you can fly through cities more than once. I start at ICN on segment 1 and fly back to ICN on segment 6 enroute to HKG (segment 7) which was where segment 2 started. 😁

James.
Same here. Could do HKG-ICN-TYO instead of HKG-TYO, for $140, just not worth it. It's like 200 extra miles. (I start in ICN, so it's technically a full RTW with the added Japan segment).

There must be something in the rules that govern fare construction that make this possible but shouldn't. I'm not as good as interpreting these things as some (I'm lazy), but just from experience, THIS SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING.

It leads me to believe that the fare will go away eventually.

Then again, someone up-thread mentioned how dysfunctional LA is. And honestly, this isn't exactly a $200 mistake. We're still paying $2K+ for tix with J segments. Not normal, but not an obvious mistake either.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by notsosmart
Since this is an LA fare departing AKL/ICN/PER? no. And there are no AA segments on any of the itins that I've looked at.
i thougth the fare is ICN SCL TYO for the people who are booking it recently.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by pbd456
i thougth the fare is ICN SCL TYO for the people who are booking it recently.
Yea, AKL-SCL-xxx is cheaper, but yea, you have that in a nutshell.

I think that it's impossible to work in the PPT-IPC segments that many of us would like (Tahiti, Easter Island) starting in ICN, but smarter men than I have been over this already, if you look up-thread.

My current concern is a slightly trickier one.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Same here. Could do HKG-ICN-TYO instead of HKG-TYO, for $140, just not worth it. It's like 200 extra miles. (I start in ICN, so it's technically a full RTW with the added Japan segment).

There must be something in the rules that govern fare construction that make this possible but shouldn't. I'm not as good as interpreting these things as some (I'm lazy), but just from experience, THIS SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING.

It leads me to believe that the fare will go away eventually.

Then again, someone up-thread mentioned how dysfunctional LA is. And honestly, this isn't exactly a $200 mistake. We're still paying $2K+ for tix with J segments. Not normal, but not an obvious mistake either.
I have been looking and have had some success finding similar reverse fares using SCL as a turnaround and going back to TYO. I have also had some success in finding routes from SCL via Australia/New Zealand with all J from SCL including AKL/SYD/MEL and various routes from there including PER-SIN-ICN. I am also able to route through JFK and pickup the JFK-TYO on JL.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:10 pm

Anybody able to price stopover with this fare? Some one above did a three day stopover and then a subsequent three month in a main stop.

A stopover in Hong Kong would be great for me.

Thbaks in advanced.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HypnoticSpecter
Anybody able to price stopover with this fare? Some one above did a three day stopover and then a subsequent three month in a main stop.

A stopover in Hong Kong would be great for me.

Thbaks in advanced.
It really depends on dates. I have a two day stop in HKG, because that's all I want/need, and it prices out on CX J. I'm guessing that the further out you look, the better your odds of getting seats. If you want to fly next week, it's probably not possible.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:46 am

Talking

It really depends on dates. I have a two day stop in HKG, because that's all I want/need, and it prices out on CX J. I'm guessing that the further out you look, the better your odds of getting seats. If you want to fly next week, it's probably not possible.
Thanks for your advice. I tried next March and am glad to report back I can find either east bound or west to start with, from ICN to SCL. Choice of airlines are many, with LA code I could get AA operated flights, but not AA marketed so I couldn't apply my SWU. Via Hong Kong is my thing and I was able to find a layover in outbound (ICN-SCL) and a stopover in the inbound (SCL-Japan). Again, many options with the inbound, I had AKL/SYD/MEL/BNE/SIN all possible, connecting to HKG.

My final leg is CX HKG-CTS, it's a better place for travel IMHO plus it's over 2000 miles from HKG. I credit to BA and I was able find an itinerary at least 6 segments with 140 tier points, for me BA Gold is more important than RDM. For those who are not interested with OWE, you can do HKG-CTS with a good stopover in Korea (BUS/SEL both OK at least).

All of them can be done as low as 1,700,000 Korean Won around 1600 USD. Prices go up when you add stopover, not by much though, most expensive would be Australian taxes in my itineraries. I found using MINCONNECT option in matrix is better then adding a segment, I did something like 48:00. Bookwithmatrix should work for my itinerary and I am waiting for final approval from Mrs. HypnoticSpector to ticket.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:19 am

Thanks for your advice. I tried next March and am glad to report back I can find either east bound or west to start with, from ICN to SCL. Choice of airlines are many, with LA code I could get AA operated flights, but not AA marketed so I couldn't apply my SWU. Via Hong Kong is my thing and I was able to find a layover in outbound (ICN-SCL) and a stopover in the inbound (SCL-Japan). Again, many options with the inbound, I had AKL/SYD/MEL/BNE/SIN all possible, connecting to HKG.

My final leg is CX HKG-CTS, it's a better place for travel IMHO plus it's over 2000 miles from HKG. I credit to BA and I was able find an itinerary at least 6 segments with 140 tier points, for me BA Gold is more important than RDM. For those who are not interested with OWE, you can do HKG-CTS with a good stopover in Korea (BUS/SEL both OK at least).

All of them can be done as low as 1,700,000 Korean Won around 1600 USD. Prices go up when you add stopover, not by much though, most expensive would be Australian taxes in my itineraries. I found using MINCONNECT option in matrix is better then adding a segment, I did something like 48:00. Bookwithmatrix should work for my itinerary and I am waiting for final approval from Mrs. HypnoticSpector to ticket.
Sounds excellent, do one in each direction. 😁 How many of your segments did you get into J?

James
Old May 15, 2018, 4:42 am

So is this a 1-ticket BAEC Silver? (well, you still have to fly 4 legs in BA) But it comes to 1.5USD/TP which is not too bad. I was quite sure LA did not file a fare between SCL and CTS but maybe I was wrong.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
I’m surprised the fare is that low? What are you booked in and I or a Y fare?
Old May 15, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Sounds excellent, do one in each direction. 😁 How many of your segments did you get into J?

James
All return segments =)
Old May 15, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by our_kid
I’m surprised the fare is that low? What are you booked in and I or a Y fare?
Yes, 1.7m WON lowest. 1.8m gave me Sydney and Seoul. My final booking is around 2.1m.

Booked in I

Just start with this...

and you will get this...
Old May 15, 2018, 11:22 am

Unhappy

Originally Posted by beyounged
So is this a 1-ticket BAEC Silver? (well, you still have to fly 4 legs in BA) But it comes to 1.5USD/TP which is not too bad. I was quite sure LA did not file a fare between SCL and CTS but maybe I was wrong.
Mrs.HypnoticSpector's calculation is a little north of $1.5, and argued that Mr.HypnoticSpector's trip will not be approved as that wasn't as good as QR Pho Fare or ex-Cai RTW DONEx last year.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:27 pm

Mrs.HypnoticSpector's calculation is a little north of $1.5, and argued that Mr.HypnoticSpector's trip will not be approved as that wasn't as good as QR Pho Fare or ex-Cai RTW DONEx last year.
I am crediting to AS so it is a little more challenging maximizing EQM on the Y segments and selecting AS partners for the J segments. I am going in the other direction. My utinersry has less than 5% of the miles crediting at less than 100% to AS. 30,404 miles in the itunerary.

James
Old May 16, 2018, 7:54 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
I was just playing
and found it
640 Tier
but s7 segment doh-mle could not count to BA so more expensive alternative

I couldn't found reasonable price for HKG-CTS for 100 Tier more.....

crazy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.