Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] BA/AA/LATAM r/t LHR to GYE First & Business from £797

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] BA/AA/LATAM r/t LHR to GYE First & Business from £797

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL
At least, for any of you in the US that still *really* want to go, United has a bunch of $291 fares in economy to Quito on the go right now...
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:51 pm

Would be interesting to hear from the person that called and booked... and recorded a company representative of BA saying it is a valid ticket. THAT might hold some weight in court.
Edgerfly and armouredant like this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by J.Edward
This seems to be a reasonable response.

I purchased a ticket, entered into a unilateral contract with BA, they accepted payment and issued tickets.

If BA wishes to not honor their contract and cancel it, so be it. I guess that is an option for them. Just like if I wish to invest the few bucks and time to file in small claims court. Perhaps I will lose. Perhaps I will prevail.

BUT I do know if nothing, the carriers will continue to walk over anyone they choose to do so whenever they feel. And they will become more emboldened to do so in the future.

Think about it like this - some meeting took place in BA where management weighed the pros and cons of what to do with the fare. Honor it? Not honor it? Offer some other option? And so on. If they suspected the majority of those who purchased the fare would not pursue some legal action, it makes it all the easier to cancel it as there are no, or at least less of, negative consequences for them doing so.

Likewise, if BA management believed they would incur costs to defend themselves in (small claims) court, it provides an incentive for them not to cancel the ticket.
+1

Very well said. I don’t know why everyone thinks this is position is so cut and dry ridiculous, and we should all just move on. Do they know anything about contract law?

Last edited by Edgerfly; Oct 5, 2017 at 1:04 pm
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Is BA really greasing American politicians?
Not BA specific.
US airlines grease the US ones.
UK airlines the UK politicians and so on ...

Plus they all lobby. That is why the rules for business are not the same for individuals. Business can also max profits while minimize taxes abroad, not so easy for individuals.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is BA really greasing American politicians?
In ways, yes. It's even greased some FT figures.

Originally Posted by Calchas
I'm pretty sure it's illegal for a US politician to accept donations from foreigners.

Unilateral mistakes are ancient case law.
It ain't all that simple in the US.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do they know anything about contract law?
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global321
Would be interesting to hear from the person that called and booked... and recorded a company representative of BA saying it is a valid ticket. THAT might hold some weight in court.
Trust me the airline will “lose” that recording if it ever went to a court of law.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-i-y-fare.html

this is why i didnt work too hard to book one.
Edgerfly likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:07 pm

+1

Very well said. I don’t know why everyone thinks this is position is so cut and dry and ridiculous, and we should all just move on. Do they know anything about contract law?
Yes, some of us know a lot about contract law. Life is short and you have to pick your battles. If you really enjoy the fight, go for it.
Edgerfly likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by J.Edward
BUT I do know if nothing, the carriers will continue to walk over anyone they choose to do so whenever they feel. And they will become more emboldened to do so in the future.

Think about it like this - some meeting took place in BA where management weighed the pros and cons of what to do with the fare. Honor it? Not honor it? Offer some other option? And so on. If they suspected the majority of those who purchased the fare would not pursue some legal action, it makes it all the easier to cancel it as there are no, or at least less of, negative consequences for them doing so.

Likewise, if BA management believed they would incur costs to defend themselves in (small claims) court, it provides an incentive for them not to cancel the ticket.
As a practical matter, this has a lot to do with it. Same thing with the NZ fare that was cancelled recently. I'd encourage anyone who has the energy to contest the cancellation to do so in small claims court.

Any business will take the least costly option available to them. If that's cancelling the fare, that's what they do. If that's investing in better IT so these never go live in the first place, that's what they do. (And I strongly suspect a few airlines, like AS, have taken this exact route.) If that's honoring the fare due to the cost of litigation, that's what they'll do.

Certainly no hard feelings if you want to just move on, but if you have one of these fares and you have the energy, I'd try to fight it.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Yes, some of us know a lot about contract law. Life is short and you have to pick your battles. If you really enjoy the fight, go for it.
I am a retired plaintiff’s attorney, and I hate watching big companies take advantage of people so I may just do that.

According to that BOM fare thread BA revoked, people did sue and got cash settlements.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:23 pm

Don't worry we have Quebec law on our side...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28889934-post207.html
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:28 pm

Trust me the airline will “lose” that recording if it ever went to a court of law.
You misunderstand. The poster here recorded it.

UA just got caught in something like that.

United Caught Denying Hurricane Maria Victim the Refund They Promised.
"Fortunately, the couple had the foresight to record the original phone call to United. After Lopez reached out to the newspaper’s “Bamboozled” consumer helpline with her supporting evidence in hand, United Airlines softened its position considerably."

You read about it here.

Last edited by Global321; Oct 5, 2017 at 1:32 pm Reason: Updated with example
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global321
You misunderstand. The poster here recorded it.

UA just got caught in something like that.

United Caught Denying Hurricane Maria Victim the Refund They Promised.
"Fortunately, the couple had the foresight to record the original phone call to United. After Lopez reached out to the newspaper’s “Bamboozled” consumer helpline with her supporting evidence in hand, United Airlines softened its position considerably."

You read about it here.
Ah I thought they were counting on the airline recording. The fact they recorded it will have some strong merit.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I am just shocked, shocked I tell ya that this is not honoured after being posted all over blogs and other ERROR! ERROR! ERROR! HOT!! sites.
rossmacd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.