Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] BA/AA/LATAM r/t LHR to GYE First & Business from £797

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] BA/AA/LATAM r/t LHR to GYE First & Business from £797

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Turkish Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Coathanger
No call as yet, and ticket is still intact on ba.com.

My flights are in June 2018 so they might be working through the bookings chronologically.
that makes sense as my flights are in March 2018. Oh well it was fun when it lasted!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by v2837v
any one else got their tickets cancelled? Mine is showing fine and haven't heard from BA yet
US$1060 to fly from LHR to Ecuador in a premium cabin sounds like a legitimately decent deal to me. It’s not the best price I’ve seen for such kind of trip, and it’s multiple times more expensive than the economy class prices I’ve seen for Europe to Ecuador trips. So unless the issued ticket was fraudulently purchased, BA should honor the issued tickets and the applicable fare rules.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:52 am

My ticket is for Feb. 2018 and I have not received a call and my ticket is still showing on ba.com where I booked.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
US$1060 to fly from LHR to Ecuador in a premium cabin sounds like a legitimately decent deal to me. It’s not the best price I’ve seen for such kind of trip, and it’s multiple times more expensive than the economy class prices I’ve seen for Europe to Ecuador trips. So unless the issued ticket was fraudulently purchased, BA should honor the issued tickets and the applicable fare rules.
You must be kidding me... Where in the World is a First Class fare to SA for less than 800 pound EVER a legitimate fare??!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by altitude75k
Just had BA call the number I registered on my booking and say it was not a valid booking and since the charge had not yet gone through their system, no refund as nothing was actually charged 8 hours ago. Oh well - too good to be true.
For sure it was a mistake fare, no doubt about it. Glad BA are being proactive about it at least!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by altitude75k
Just had BA call the number I registered on my booking and say it was not a valid booking and since the charge had not yet gone through their system, no refund as nothing was actually charged 8 hours ago. Oh well - too good to be true.
Did you get a ticket number?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: M&M Senator, BAEC GGL, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Yeah yeah yeah, suck it up. But seriously, there’s no agency you can file a grievance with like in the US?

Being as one segment is with AA, and it’s from Miami on my itineraries, I would file a DOT complaint.
Yeah, the DOT. Just to remind you that that Department did not even consider to rule agains companies such as United in the last two years, after Error Fares.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Maybe the person who got a call from BA didn’t get their ticket issued. My three trips are all still confirmed and have ticket numbers and no call from BA.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chrini1
Yeah, the DOT. Just to remind you that that Department did not even consider to rule agains companies such as United in the last two years, after Error Fares.
UA has paid out money to some for those DKK fare tickets that UA invalidated before commencement of originally ticketed travel.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
It's time to trot out this golden oldie.

Originally Posted by HansGolden
It looks like trolls (and a million other evolutionary changes to the process) have forced an update to the classic "stages of mistake fares", so I took a stab at it.

Updated version:
-------------------------------------------
Ahhhh....the emotional phases of a legitimate* mistake fare.

1. Discovery - mistake fare is posted on FT. Novices frantically check how much vacation time they have and if the dates of availability mesh with their schedules. Experienced FTers just check their TripIt to line things up with existing trips and hotel mistakes they have already booked and then book it and worry about contacting spouses or their boss later. Word spreads like wildfire. Bloggers blog; trolls gnash their teeth.

2. Excitement - Tickets purchased, confirmation emails received and dates of travel shared with other FTers. Many feel so lucky they contemplate buying Powerball tickets. Discussions of what to see and do and where to stay crop up in other threads. The Timbuktu destination forum sees a sudden burst of activity. The Travel Photography forum gets three new threads entitled something like "Which camra is best 4 Timbuktu???????" Seasoned FTers sit back and enjoy reading the discussion threads.

3. Stress Stage 1 - Concern over e-ticket delivery causes novices to frantically check their email inbox every few seconds, constantly monitoring their iPhones for a Gmail notification. Seasoned FT veterans sit back and relax, having already PDFed the eticket receipt from the website. Kind veterans give step by step instructions to the newbies, only to have their posts buried under several pages of fretting and the question re-asked 16 minutes later. Helpful "thread monitor" members post either soothing or derisive comments pointing repeated questions back to already-given answers.

4. Kindergarten - Jealous, self-righteous trolls show up a few hours after the deal (their timing because of not having noticed the thread in time) and begin to pontificate upon the hacking, fraud, and all manner of illegal and immoral behavior that clearly had ensued, predicting with near certainty that anyone that booked the ticket would have their frequent flyer accounts shut down, be banned from flying, and be sent to Guantanamo. And if by some lucky break they weren't, they wish they had!

5. Backlash - Veteran FTers retort smugly, listing from memory a litany of similar mistake fares that were honored and did not result in so much as a traffic ticket. The truly elite recite 49 CFR 41712 § 399.88(a) from memory. Some hint at non-public mistake fares they've enjoyed; the true ninjas just enjoy thinking about them.

6. Stress Stage 2 - Novices call the airline to correct a letter on their name, ask for exit row seats as a one-time exception because they're almost silver, and worry whether they're going to get the $7.93 refunded that the airline overcharged them in taxes. Veterans angrily berate them for having called or being such tightwads. Novices give entire biography, reason for trip, and dietary desires while asking a simple question; three veterans simultaneously reply with a monosyllabic answer or ignore the question altogether.

7. Premature Jubilation - Re-confirmations from the airline's Twitter account safely PDFed, vacation request submitted, spouses finally informed, hotel reservations made and bragging to friends and co-workers begins. Both novices and experts get very excited.

8. Stress Stage 3 - Rumors of fare not being honored, troll posts regurgitated, discussion threads about the airline and ticketing agency ensue. Predictions about how much money the airline will lose range from -$3 million to $7 trillion, with little basis for the estimates. Some think this will be a PR coup for the airline, upping revenue substantially, while others are certain they'll slip into bankruptcy. Armchair lawyers and estate lawyers are suddenly experts on contract law, transportation law, and advertising law with terms like "mutual mistake" flying, helpfully appended with authority-boosting things like "Goofus v. Gallant, Superior Court of Ottawa". Rumors crop up like crabgrass at this stage. Many FTers begin to worry excessively about whether or not the trip will happen. Novices make non-refundable and financial commitments to their trip. Some do so in hopes of forcing the airline to pay for them if they decide to cancel. Seasoned FTers make mixed drinks (and maybe a sandwich) and are patient.

9a. Mass Cancellations - Novices quiver in fear. Veterans file DOT complaints. Some reservations are unaffected and speculation ensues that the lucky few must have booked using a Diners Club card while in Incognito Mode after having clicked through from Kayak and used a United codeshare of an Edelweiss Air flight.

9aa. DOT Bomb - DOT decides to come up with some Clintonesque definitions of the words "within, to or from" and allows the cancellations to stand. The trolls show up to say I told you so, forgetting about Guantanamo.

9ab. X Marks the DOT - DOT announces the fare will be honored. (However, because SWISS is domiciled in Zimbabwe and spent on lawyers 3x the face value of the tickets, they're exempt. Some vow to never book a mistake again on SWISS, other vow the precise opposite to punish SWISS. All LX passengers are kicking themselves for not having booked on SQ when they were wavering between the two.)

9b. Confirmation - The airline announces they'll honor the fare while vigorously patting themselves on the back for being so nice.

10. Jubilation - Everyone is jubilant. A few trolls show up to lament the sad state of affairs where airlines must honor advertised prices and face a downside to sloppiness, but most retreat to their caves and prepare fresh spins on old canards for the next mistake fare.

11. Reality Check - Accurate information is obtained - usually takes place a week or two after mistake fare is published. Details about chauffeur, changability, refunds ("I booked it over my great-grandma's wedding! I have to cancel... "), ideal seat assignments, things to do in Timbuktu, etc are all established and added to the Wiki. Novices learn more about GDSes, NOGO, CheckMyTrip, codeshare agreements, VirtuallyThere, joint ventures, Saudia, conjunctive tickets, Finnair, etc than they ever wanted to know. Airline and GDS moles make marvelous and slightly creepy posts through third parties, giving essential info. PMs fly.

12. First Success - First person flies, and posts diagrams of the ticket counters and bathrooms of origin airport, details which agents were friendly and which cussed him out, gives the GDS commands the agent needs to type to re-instate the ticket, explains how to get the chauffeur even if they don't want to give it ("Swagger up to chauffeur counter wearing tux while holding poodle on leash..."), and how to pre-order lobster thermidor. Still-nervous novices post, asking questions the first flier just answered. A few naysayer trolls sally forth to point out the grammar and punctuation errors of the first flier. Most people thank the first flier heartily.

13. Complete Success - Trip Report forum becomes very active.

* as distinguished from 4-Mile and LM cabotage
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oneworld82
You must be kidding me... Where in the World is a First Class fare to SA for less than 800 pound EVER a legitimate fare??!
"US$1060 to fly from LHR to Ecuador in a premium cabin sounds like a legitimately decent deal to me. It’s not the best price I’ve seen for such kind of trip, and it’s multiple times more expensive than the economy class prices I’ve seen for Europe to Ecuador trips. So unless the issued ticket was fraudulently purchased, BA should honor the issued tickets and the applicable fare rules."

Buying such a ticket with proper funds is not fraud; and non-fraudulent purchases may be considered generally legitimate purchases -- whether or not a party/counterparty to a sale/contract unilaterally attempt to void the contract/sale or not.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I actually agree with this. It’s not like the fare was $1. When can one disrupt travelers plans, and just revoke a ticket because they feel like it? Where do you draw the line?

Jc from the poster who got a call from BA. When was your travel for, and had your ticket been issued yet?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You can certainly grieve to the CAA, but the best you can hope for is a tissue for your tears.

A fancier approach, one frequently threatened in these threads but seldom employed, would be through the courts. This doesn't have to be expensive, but it's an awful faff. And it's not clear what you'd be suing for - an order that BA perform the service it agreed to, or compensation for the £5K ticket you were forced to buy in the wake of a cancellation. That second avenue would be risky!

Better just to suck it up.
I sued for the difference. That is, the cost of the fare the airline says was an error and the cost the same airline said should have been the correct fare. In the jurisdiction I sued in, at least, that's all that was required; I didn't need to produce a replacement ticket.

Originally Posted by Misco60
This is bad advice.

Fare mistakes are subject to general contract law in exactly the same way as other online mistakes are, and British Airways has the legal right to rescind any fare, even after payment has been taken, as long as a reasonable person should have realised it was a mistake. The discussion on this board alone should be sufficient evidence that a reasonable person would recognise this offer as an error.
And a consumer has a right to bring action. More importantly, your point about a reasonable person realizing it was a mistake is but one of three elements that need to be proven where the burden of proof lies with the party claiming there was a mistake. (This is the widely held standard where English law applies. However, one of the other things that often seems to be lost on FlyerTalk is that different jurisdictions have different standards.)
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by danger
I sued for the difference. That is, the cost of the fare the airline says was an error and the cost the same airline said should have been the correct fare. In the jurisdiction I sued in, at least, that's all that was required; I didn't need to produce a replacement ticket.

And a consumer has a right to bring action. More importantly, your point about a reasonable person realizing it was a mistake is but one of three elements that need to be proven where the burden of proof lies with the party claiming there was a mistake. (This is the widely held standard where English law applies. However, one of the other things that often seems to be lost on FlyerTalk is that different jurisdictions have different standards.)
Did you win? Obviously us US based flyers can’t file a small claims case in the UK
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Why to worry anyway? Legimate price, not the lowest but still good promo fare. The catch is that there is ongoing promo to First class upgrade when the seats are available. Therefore BA segments were automatically upgraded. The worst they can do is to downgrade to business class but not cancel the tickets, because they fixed the rate quite fast. If there would not be the upgrade promo, all segments would be in business class. Just unfortunate timing for BA, nothing else. The person who got call did not have ticketed booking as I understood, so relax and enjoy the flights and CCR.
Btw. What confusing me is that nowadays bloggers decide what is error fare and what is promo fare. When QR announced a sale suprise message a day before from SGN to US/SA, when the rate(560usd)was available limited time, bloggers wrote that it is a error fare. They should be first to not use the "error fare" words anymore.
Since the fare is gone, could the thread be moved to discussion section?

Last edited by Jaenks; Oct 3, 2017 at 7:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.