Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE]Nz: Syd-lax z $944

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please:
Do NOT call the airline while the fare is still alive!
(Definitely dead now. Plead your case to have your ticket(s) reinstated!)
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE]Nz: Syd-lax z $944

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
Purchased through Orbitz US. Charges came through pretty quickly from ANZ.
Now I get an email from Orbitz saying in part:
"Due to the error, Air New Zealand has taken the decision to cancel all tickets affected by this. The airline has now begun to process all refunds for affected tickets back to the original form of payment used to make the booking, and the funds will be available to you within 15-20 business days. "

Not cool ANZ.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I called Expedia, the agent called ANZ and she said ANZ has initiated refunds the day they cancelled the tix and that it will take 5-7 business days and the refund will be received by Sept 28/end of next week. I am not so sure though the agent didn't seem very competent. I have not received any emails about refund initiation other than the cancellation one.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I received email from Expedia AU that they initiated the refund process, but the refund amount in AUD doesn't match what I paid... But I'll see what is finally refunded before I follow up again. Rather annoying process.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888
I received email from Expedia AU that they initiated the refund process, but the refund amount in AUD doesn't match what I paid... But I'll see what is finally refunded before I follow up again. Rather annoying process.
I think the delta is Expedia's commission on the sale of the ticket.

If I don't get full refund I'll definitely be taking this with them again. At that point I'll also claim for credit card interest (24% pa for the days between my purchase and my money back).
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by auror
I think the delta is Expedia's commission on the sale of the ticket.

If I don't get full refund I'll definitely be taking this with them again. At that point I'll also claim for credit card interest (24% pa for the days between my purchase and my money back).
It would be highly unusual for expedia to keep a commission on this type of refund. The difference in refund amounts may be due to an error, but it won't be for commission. Under Australian consumer law the passenger is entitled to a full refund, and expedia would be well aware of that.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
I have already disputed the original charge, as I did not receive what I paid for.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
If there is an unfavorable difference due to the fluctuating exchange rate between the time of purchase and time of refund, you can also talk to your credit card bank, they should refund it.

It will be easier to get forex differences from the cc bank that does the conversions, as opposed to the vendor, who can refund only what they received. This applies only when the cancellation was from the vendor's side though, not yours, so you should explain this to the bank (that the vendor unilaterally cancelled and refunded the purchase). A secure message to your credit card issuer via your online banking site should suffice for this. YMMV though, depending on the bank.

Last edited by nk15; Sep 23, 2017 at 10:10 am
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by CDKing
The first time you just got a bad agent. Airline has already stated they are not honoring so obviously NZ will be on the look out for any they were reinstated.
Yeah, no kidding. Still not fun.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Already have one refund on first ticket that is nearly $7 less than what I paid. Not loosing money on Air NZ refusal to honor these tickets. Already filed DOT and will be following this up aggressively.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Already have one refund on first ticket that is nearly $7 less than what I paid. Not loosing money on Air NZ refusal to honor these tickets. Already filed DOT and will be following this up aggressively.
If that's due to timing of exchange rate differences, then that would not be on the airline.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Originally Posted by Repooc17
If that's due to timing of exchange rate differences, then that would not be on the airline.
I think someone upthread posted that you should be able to get the difference since you were not the one to cancel.

The currency conversion can bite you. I lost $100 on an EK J award once on a refundable fare due to a large change in conversion rate
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I received my refund from Expedia AU after 4 days. The amount refunded on my Amex card ended up being 6 USD less, due to forex. I won't bother disputing that. But now on to NZ to get my position flights reimbursed.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
[QUOTE=cliburn;28846669]Purchased through Orbitz US. Charges came through pretty quickly from ANZ.
Now I get an email from Orbitz saying in part:
"Due to the error, Air New Zealand has taken the decision to cancel all tickets affected by this. The airline has now begun to process all refunds for affected tickets back to the original form of payment used to make the booking, and the funds will be available to you within 15-20 business days. "

Not cool ANZ.[/QUOTE

I still dont have my credit, and Expedia sent me an email saying call NZ and the number they give is not in service from Canada.
NZ is such a mickey mouse airline
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Air New Zealand sucks.

here is the email from Expedia. lol with a number that does not work. also really 8 WEEKS
Dear Expedia Customer,

We have been made aware by AIR NEW ZEALAND Airlines that they had an issue with the pricing of their tickets, which caused a number of tickets to be sold at prices significantly lower than their actual value. Due to the error, AIR NEW ZEALAND Airlines have taken the decision to cancel all tickets affected by this.

The airline has now begun to process all refunds back for affected tickets to the original form of payment used to make the booking, and the funds will be available to you within 6-8 weeks.

We apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused you, and should you need to rebook your trip, please contact Air New Zealand at 1 (800) 262-1234

Sincerely,

The Expedia Team
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
I thought the ticket rule has a $300 cancellation fee. Will they be paying this amount?
cliburn and canadiancow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.