Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] AC: AMS/DUS/... - LAX/SFO/.... €200+ return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] AC: AMS/DUS/... - LAX/SFO/.... €200+ return

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:08 pm
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
voices are telling that non-ticketed are being cancelled, and ticketed are still standing strong...
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Hollandair
voices are telling that non-ticketed are being cancelled, and ticketed are still standing strong...
I'm a total noob. I booked AMS-YYZ-AMS for 110 euro's. I booked through a third party website, but we received E-tickets (through the third party) and the booking number is still confirmed through the AC website.

Is receiving e-tickets being ticketed? Or how long do I need to wait if it is confirmed. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by KevinOss
I'm a total noob. I booked AMS-YYZ-AMS for 110 euro's. I booked through a third party website, but we received E-tickets (through the third party) and the booking number is still confirmed through the AC website.

Is receiving e-tickets being ticketed? Or how long do I need to wait if it is confirmed. Thanks in advance.
They could still cancel but it's less likely if you're ticketed (there are some reports around that ticketed bookings are being cancelled. Mine still seems to be in one piece). Basically hold off from booking anything else (well anything that's not quickly and easily refundable) for as long as you can. If you get to the end of the week and everything is ok then you're probably good.

I don't feel confident about this one sticking. I've basically written this one off in my head. If it sticks then I'll be pleased if not then I'm no worse off.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:04 pm
Used to be guidogh

Yes, but still no guarantees.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs

Give it at least two weeks. But if you are not flying anytime soon, just make you reservations as late as possible. Good sign is if you hear other people flying and returning, then it is a sure thing.
Sit back and relax and enjoy the ride.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:06 pm
Used to be guidogh

I think ticketed might stick, would also be very very good PR... I have never flown AC, but now i'll try.. if its good for me its def. competition for US and European carriers..
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Hollandair
I think ticketed might stick, would also be very very good PR... I have never flown AC, but now i'll try.. if its good for me its def. competition for US and European carriers..
Don't get your hopes up about AC. I tried my best to avoid them on the long-haul sectors, but only managed to get the outbound on another carrier without messing up the flight schedule. I was stuck with them for a while against my will but try hard to avoid them (in Y at least) when I can for a decent price.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:18 pm

Yes, if you'ave received an e-ticket (as opposed to just a booking reference) your booking has been ticketed.

The problem is that the airline may still cancel. In my experience, airlines don't seem too bothered by the fact that they've ticketed an itinerary. I've had tickers cancelled after 9 or 10 days. I think it's fair to say though, that the longer the wait, the more embedded the booking and the harder it is for airlines to extricate themselves from it.

With the preponderance of budget airlines/low cost carriers charging tiny amounts of money to cross the Atlantic, I really do wonder how long airlines will be able to cancel tickets by claiming "manifest error".

In my country, the UK, common law allows one party to a contract to cancel if there has been a manifest error - that means an error that is objectively obvious. It's not sufficient that it is an error; it's not sufficient that one party claims it to be an error. It must be obviously an error to a reasonable person who is looking at it.

Today I've booked a couple of Europe to NYC trips with Air Canada for about 140 euros per trip. Over the last few days I've also booked a European 2-hour flight on Ryanair for about 12 euros and, more importantly, a flight from NYC to Edinburgh on Norwegian Air Shuttle for 50 euros. I think that mile-for-mile the so-called error fare from Air Canada is actually more expensive than the advertised fare from Norwegian.

The point is that I can't see how airlines can continue to void contracts/tickets just because they believe their fare to be an error. At least under UK law, that's not enough; it has to be an obvious error to a reasonable person. If the Norwegian fare is not an error I can't see how Air Canada can claim it's prices to be obvious errors.

As an aside, I do not understand why the various blogs and websites that list these flight deals, place the words "ERROR FARE" screaming from the top of every article. Surely, by doing so, they just add weight to any case the airline has for claiming that a reasonable person will regard the fare as an error.

Anyway, best of luck everyone.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:56 pm

Blogs suggest everything is being cancelled. Direct bookings and agent. My ticketed agent booking is still there but that may just be because nobody is at work at this time on a Sunday.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by sigma421
Blogs suggest everything is being cancelled. Direct bookings and agent. My ticketed agent booking is still there but that may just be because nobody is at work at this time on a Sunday.
Yea if it was just $200 RT to Europe, I don't think they have a case.. the $200 I saw to Asia, or $250 to DXB were obvious issues and they'll loop them all together.

I actually didn't see too much activity out here, but SF and other blogs were on it pretty quickly.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:02 pm

Exactly the transpacific ones are hardest to defend - although why someone booking CDG-YYZ should know what they're charging for DXB-YYZ is another question.

To be honest though if I get cancelled on I don't even know who my fight would be with. AC? The agent? If they take ages to refund shall I just call Amex and do a chargeback?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
booked YUL-CDG for April 2018 (200$ CAD) directly on AC.com, still good.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:03 pm

Wouldn't you think it's possible those ticketed would be honored by the DOT even if AC cancels them initially? I got in on the $100 one way MLE-JFK back in May and Emirates initially cancelled all those flights but the DOT forced them to honor the fares though it's obvious they were errors.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 5:54 pm

12h ago - booked on OTA, confirmed and ticketed immediately
7h ago - cancelled (got a notification via app)
now -

Does DOT or something similar work for Canada?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Sciamano
12h ago - booked on OTA, confirmed and ticketed immediately
7h ago - cancelled (got a notification via app)
now -

Does DOT or something similar work for Canada?
Which itinerary did you book? I don’t have a lot of experience but it seems that here in Canada, contrary to the US, the airlines have less pressure to honour mistake fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.