Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Ana yvr - syd $559 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nomadic.relief
ANA Sydney Fare Meetup

For those who were able to ticket, you can list your flights/dates here...

September
Sep 5 YVR-SFO-NRT HND-SYD (willtravelfortea)
Sep 6 YVR-SEA
Sep 7 SEA-HND/NRT-SYD (EmmyDee)
Sep 17 SYD-HND-YVR (willtravelfortea)
Sep 17 YVR-SFO-NRT/HND-SYD (reton)
Sep 18 YVR-SFO-NRT/HND-SYD (surfingsd)
Sep 24 SYD-HND/NRT-SFO-YVR (reton)
Sep 26 SYD-NRT/HND-SFO-YVR (EmmyDee)
Sep 26 YVR-SFO (yutuyu)
Sep 27 SFO-NRT/HND-SYD (yutuyu)

October
Oct 1 SYD-HND-YVR (surfingsd)
Oct 3 SYD-HND/NRT-SFO-YVR (yutuyu)
Oct 3 YVR-HND-SYD (andrees71)
Oct 16 YVR-SFO-NRT HND-SYD (llihlopf)
Oct 16 YVR-SFO-NRT HND-SYD (kirker, Bugeater+1)
Oct 16 YVR-SFO-NRT HND-SYD (Fredd/Mrs. Fredd)
Oct 17 SYD-HND (andrees71)
Oct 17 YVR-SFO-NRT (mowogo)
Oct 18 HND-SYD (mowogo)
Oct 22 SYD-HND-YVR (llihlopf)
Oct 23 SYD-HND-YVR (Fredd/Mrs. Fredd, Bugeater+1)
Oct 24 HND-YVR (andrees71)
Oct 24 SYD-HND (mowogo)
Oct 25 HND-YVR (mowogo)
Oct 29 SYD-HND-YVR (kirker)

November
Nov 2 YVR-HND-SYD (thyeri)
Nov 6- YVR-SEA-NRT HND-SYD (dany2k3m)
Nov 7 YVR-SFO-NRT HND-SYD (YYCCL3, acomp27)
Nov 8 YVR-HND HND-SYD Nov 11 (schnapperin)
Nov 8 YVR-HND-SYD (dlandz)
Nov 8 YVR-HND-SYD (Tracon, Mrs Tracon & Tracon jr.)
Nov 8 YVR-SEA (overnight)-NRT/HND-SYD (foxflyer)
Nov 8 YVR-SEA (overnight)-NRT|HND-SYD (pushmyredbutton)
Nov 13 SYD-HND-YVR (YYCCL3)
Nov 13 SYD-HND NRT-SFO-YVR (acomp27)
Nov 14 SYD-HND HND- YVR Nov 15 (dany2k3m)
Nov 14 SYD-HND HND- YVR Nov 15 (Tracon, Mrs Tracon & Tracon jr.)
Nov 14 YVR-HND-SYD (VladQ)
Nov 15 SYD-HND NRT-SEA-YVR Nov 16 (schnapperin)
Nov 15 SYD-HND|NRT-SFO (pushmyredbutton)
Nov 19 SYD-HND-YVR (dlandz)
Nov 20 YVR-HND-SYD (stratofortress, Majuki)
Nov 22 YVR-NRT AC 3 (canadiancow)
Nov 25 HND-SYD NH 879 (canadiancow)
Nov 27 SYD-TYO-SFO-YVR (stratofortress)
Nov 27 SYD-HND-YVR (Majuki)
Nov 27 SYD-HND-YVR (VladQ)
Nov 29 SYD-HND NH 880 (canadiancow)
Nov 30 NRT-SFO NH 8 (canadiancow - upgraded to F)
Nov 30 YVR-HND (flmyngo)
Nov 30 YVR-HND-SYD (raccoon)

December
Dec 2 HND-SYD (flmyngo)
Dec 5 YVR-HND (devguybc)
Dec 6 YVR-SEA-NRT HND-SYD Dec 9 (seks)
Dec 6 YVR-SEA (overnight) (nomadic.relief)
Dec 7 SEA-NRT HND-SYD (nomadic.relief)
Dec 7 YVR-HND (jerryhze)
Dec 7 YVR-HND (pushmyredbutton)
Dec 10 HND-SYD (pushmyredbutton)
Dec 10 SYD-HND-YVR (raccoon)
Dec 11 HND-SYD (jerryhze)
Dec 13 SYD-HND NRT-SFO (pushmyredbutton - upgraded to F)
Dec 13 HND-SYD (devguybc)
Dec 18 SYD-HND NRT-SFO-YVR Dec 19 (seks)
Dec 18 SYD-HND (devguybc)
Dec 19 HND-LAX-YVR (devguybc)
Dec 19 SYD-HND NRT-SFO-YVR (nomadic.relief - upgraded to F)
Dec 24 SYD-HND-YVR (jerryhze)
Dec 25 SYD-HND (flmyngo)
Dec 26 HND-YVR (flmyngo)

March
Mar 4 SYD-HND-YVR (thyeri)
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] Ana yvr - syd $559 rt

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
Maybe a rookie question, but if I purchase alcohol on the way home from the duty-free in sydney, will they transfer it on to the syd-yvr leg or do I need to take it with me (which won't work as I'll be going into Tokyo for the day)
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dlandz
Maybe a rookie question, but if I purchase alcohol on the way home from the duty-free in sydney, will they transfer it on to the syd-yvr leg or do I need to take it with me (which won't work as I'll be going into Tokyo for the day)
You would need to check it in again in Tokyo.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by schnapperin
Thanks- since it's an international connect I didn't do it since my bags wouldn't be rechecked, and instead bought at HND as I will need to recheck in YVR anyways before connecting to YYZ.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by schnapperin
My return itinerary is SYD-HND/NRT-SFO-YYC. If I get a bottle of alcohol or anything liquid at NRT duty-free, do you think I can get thru SFO with it since it will presumably be in a sealed duty-free bag?

Do I have to re-check my luggage and go thru security again at SFO?

Last edited by seks; Nov 20, 2017 at 9:26 am
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by seks
My return itinerary is SYD-HND/NRT-SFO-YYC. If I get a bottle of alcohol or anything liquid at NRT duty-free, do you think I can get thru SFO with it since it will presumably be in a sealed duty-free bag?

Do I have to re-check my luggage and go thru security again at SFO?
You will have to go through US Immigration and Customs, re-check your baggage, and go through TSA security at SFO.

I honestly don't know if the TSA will let you take sealed duty-free with you in your carry-on but somebody no doubt does.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: Air Canada - Aeroplan Black, AC - E50K, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Fredd
You will have to go through US Immigration and Customs, re-check your baggage, and go through TSA security at SFO.

I honestly don't know if the TSA will let you take sealed duty-free with you in your carry-on but somebody no doubt does.
I don't know if the same applies in USA but when I returned from Italy last summer with a bottle of wine, the agents at the CATSA checkpoint in YUL took the sealed Duty-Free bag, sliced open the sealing tape, checked that it was wine, re-taped it closed, and handed it back to me. I was free to carry it on to the plane for my next two domestic segments. However, with going through the states, YMMV so take my anecdote with a grain of salt. Just a data point for comparison in Canada.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm about to start my journey. Boarding for AC 3 starts in 16 minutes.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Fredd
The TSA just posted about this. It is allowed under the following conditions (copied from the blog post verbatim):
  • The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
  • The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
  • The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
The TSA just posted about this. It is allowed under the following conditions (copied from the blog post verbatim):
  • The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
  • The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
  • The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.
So if I buy a bottle of liquor at NRT and it's in a sealed duty-free bag, I should be OK for my NRT-SFO-YYC flight home?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by seks
So if I buy a bottle of liquor at NRT and it's in a sealed duty-free bag, I should be OK for my NRT-SFO-YYC flight home?
Yes, it should be ok.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I wouldn't risk it with something crazy expensive that you have no chance of checking in if TSA doesn't act as they should. Which, as we all know, happens all the time.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:31 pm

Has anyone checked a suitcase on this itinerary connecting on the return through Haneda? I'm concerned with the long layover about the bags connecting without issues. I was also looking to do a connection to USA departures at YVR if that makes any difference. I'm leaning towards doing carry on only.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Majuki
Yes, it should be ok.
Yes, second this and similar experience to ScGhost0. Just went through TSA (actually it's CAS) at SFO yesterday with three boxed bottles of ume shu carried on from HND airside duty free.

Baggage recheck agent at baggage drop outside of International arrivals was concerned that I had liquids with me and the AS counter agent wanted to confirm that the bottles were properly placed in a tamper proof bag (versus checking them in with no outer suitcase?? Not sure what her other option would be).

Told TSOs at the x-ray machine that I had liquor but TSO said no problem, would be flagged at x-ray anyways. Bag went to the side. Waited a bit for a free TSO to pick it up, examine the bag & receipt (there's a pouch for the receipt in the tamper proof bag), then cut open the bag, remove one box at a time, open and remove the bottle, place the bottle in some sort of analysis machine, then reboxed, reinserted into the bag and resealed with TSA tamperproof tape.

Took about 15-20 extra minutes and I was on my way.

You also have access to your bags when you pick them up inside International arrivals prior to going through Customs and recheck. I've carried on duty free before and just put it in my checked luggage there, then rechecked it.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes, second this and similar experience to ScGhost0. Just went through TSA (actually it's CAS) at SFO yesterday with three boxed bottles of ume shu carried on from HND airside duty free.
lol...exactly what I wanted to get!

You also have access to your bags when you pick them up inside International arrivals prior to going through Customs and recheck. I've carried on duty free before and just put it in my checked luggage there, then rechecked it.
I guess the only thing is the risk of bottles breaking in a checked luggage.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:54 pm

Hi all,

I'm sitting at the transborder Maple Leaf Lounge after getting off of the HND-YVR flight. I didn't leave HND airport on the outbound, but I did on the return. I'll add my data points:

On the outbound, I wasn't able to get a shower in the ANA lounge across from gate 110. I don't know how many shower rooms they have, but they seem to fill up quickly. Perhaps it was an unusually busy night, but the wait was 90 minutes when I was there. On the return, I decided to go into the city. The luggage storage is an immediate left after exiting. As another poster mentioned, they do take credit cards, but I took out some yen from the ATM. You pay upon return, not when you leave your luggage, and the prices are quite reasonable. The showers are in that vicinity as well, and your J ticket allows you to access those at no additional charge. If taking the train back to the airport, go up the first escalator to get back to the arrivals level to retrieve your luggage.

One thing that I found odd was that business class by itself does not get access to the premium security line. *A Silver doesn't get access either. (Ironically, I saw *O Ruby does get access.) I ended up getting a single room at the transit hotel after getting airside. A single room was ¥11,100 all in. The double occpuancy was around ¥13,000. I was able to get some rest and adjust back to North American time zones a bit before the overnight flight back to YVR with the cradle seats.

Upon arrival at YVR, I followed the previous poster's directions about USA connections. Only a few airlines support a in-transit pre-clearance, and you can follow the guide here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.