[FARE GONE] Ana yvr - syd $559 rt

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 26, 17, 2:46 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: nomadic.relief
Wiki Link
ANA Sydney Fare Meetup

For those who were able to ticket, you can list your flights/dates here...

September
Sep 5 YVR-SFO-NRT HND-SYD (willtravelfortea)
Sep 6 YVR-SEA
Sep 7 SEA-HND/NRT-SYD (EmmyDee)
Sep 17 SYD-HND-YVR (willtravelfortea)
Sep 17 YVR-SFO-NRT/HND-SYD (reton)
Sep 18 YVR-SFO-NRT/HND-SYD (surfingsd)
Sep 24 SYD-HND/NRT-SFO-YVR (reton)
Sep 26 SYD-NRT/HND-SFO-YVR (EmmyDee)
Sep 26 YVR-SFO (yutuyu)
Sep 27 SFO-NRT/HND-SYD (yutuyu)

October
Oct 1 SYD-HND-YVR (surfingsd)
Oct 3 SYD-HND/NRT-SFO-YVR (yutuyu)
Oct 3 YVR-HND-SYD (andrees71)
Oct 16 YVR-SFO-NRT HND-SYD (llihlopf)
Oct 16 YVR-SFO-NRT HND-SYD (kirker, Bugeater+1)
Oct 16 YVR-SFO-NRT HND-SYD (Fredd/Mrs. Fredd)
Oct 17 SYD-HND (andrees71)
Oct 17 YVR-SFO-NRT (mowogo)
Oct 18 HND-SYD (mowogo)
Oct 22 SYD-HND-YVR (llihlopf)
Oct 23 SYD-HND-YVR (Fredd/Mrs. Fredd, Bugeater+1)
Oct 24 HND-YVR (andrees71)
Oct 24 SYD-HND (mowogo)
Oct 25 HND-YVR (mowogo)
Oct 29 SYD-HND-YVR (kirker)

November
Nov 2 YVR-HND-SYD (thyeri)
Nov 6- YVR-SEA-NRT HND-SYD (dany2k3m)
Nov 7 YVR-SFO-NRT HND-SYD (YYCCL3, acomp27)
Nov 8 YVR-HND HND-SYD Nov 11 (schnapperin)
Nov 8 YVR-HND-SYD (dlandz)
Nov 8 YVR-HND-SYD (Tracon, Mrs Tracon & Tracon jr.)
Nov 8 YVR-SEA (overnight)-NRT/HND-SYD (foxflyer)
Nov 8 YVR-SEA (overnight)-NRT|HND-SYD (pushmyredbutton)
Nov 13 SYD-HND-YVR (YYCCL3)
Nov 13 SYD-HND NRT-SFO-YVR (acomp27)
Nov 14 SYD-HND HND- YVR Nov 15 (dany2k3m)
Nov 14 SYD-HND HND- YVR Nov 15 (Tracon, Mrs Tracon & Tracon jr.)
Nov 14 YVR-HND-SYD (VladQ)
Nov 15 SYD-HND NRT-SEA-YVR Nov 16 (schnapperin)
Nov 15 SYD-HND|NRT-SFO (pushmyredbutton)
Nov 19 SYD-HND-YVR (dlandz)
Nov 20 YVR-HND-SYD (stratofortress, Majuki)
Nov 22 YVR-NRT AC 3 (canadiancow)
Nov 25 HND-SYD NH 879 (canadiancow)
Nov 27 SYD-TYO-SFO-YVR (stratofortress)
Nov 27 SYD-HND-YVR (Majuki)
Nov 27 SYD-HND-YVR (VladQ)
Nov 29 SYD-HND NH 880 (canadiancow)
Nov 30 NRT-SFO NH 8 (canadiancow - upgraded to F)
Nov 30 YVR-HND (flmyngo)
Nov 30 YVR-HND-SYD (raccoon)

December
Dec 2 HND-SYD (flmyngo)
Dec 5 YVR-HND (devguybc)
Dec 6 YVR-SEA-NRT HND-SYD Dec 9 (seks)
Dec 6 YVR-SEA (overnight) (nomadic.relief)
Dec 7 SEA-NRT HND-SYD (nomadic.relief)
Dec 7 YVR-HND (jerryhze)
Dec 7 YVR-HND (pushmyredbutton)
Dec 10 HND-SYD (pushmyredbutton)
Dec 10 SYD-HND-YVR (raccoon)
Dec 11 HND-SYD (jerryhze)
Dec 13 SYD-HND NRT-SFO (pushmyredbutton - upgraded to F)
Dec 13 HND-SYD (devguybc)
Dec 18 SYD-HND NRT-SFO-YVR Dec 19 (seks)
Dec 18 SYD-HND (devguybc)
Dec 19 HND-LAX-YVR (devguybc)
Dec 19 SYD-HND NRT-SFO-YVR (nomadic.relief - upgraded to F)
Dec 24 SYD-HND-YVR (jerryhze)
Dec 25 SYD-HND (flmyngo)
Dec 26 HND-YVR (flmyngo)

March
Mar 4 SYD-HND-YVR (thyeri)
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 14, 17, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jerryhze View Post
Having flown this aircraft, would you recommend bulkhead aisle to a normal window? (I am in 4K right now and usually prefer window to aisle)
Actually I haven't flown it yet... but judging by everyone's complaints, I figured that a bulkhead middle would at least provide the most space plus direct-aisle access.

Since it's a day flight I'm not too concerned, though, since I don't plan to be sleeping.
Old Nov 14, 17, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
Actually I haven't flown it yet... but judging by everyone's complaints, I figured that a bulkhead middle would at least provide the most space plus direct-aisle access.

Since it's a day flight I'm not too concerned, though, since I don't plan to be sleeping.
Good point. Will try to stay awake lol
Old Nov 15, 17, 2:01 pm

Has anyone else been able to cancel their flight?

I've called a few times citing the slight 10 minute schedule change, the change of aircraft and using my personal reason (Deciding to spend Thanksgiving with the Mrs.). Each time I get back with a stern no, even when the agent is super friendly and spends extra time double checking the fare rules. I booked direct with ANA (which seems to be the issue). It does look like they aren't raising it with a supervisior even after I've requested it. On my last call the agent indicated they noted it in my reservation on the 500 CAD cancel fee already. Might be out of luck eh?
Old Nov 15, 17, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by eliteguardstery View Post
Has anyone else been able to cancel their flight?

I've called a few times citing the slight 10 minute schedule change, the change of aircraft and using my personal reason (Deciding to spend Thanksgiving with the Mrs.). Each time I get back with a stern no, even when the agent is super friendly and spends extra time double checking the fare rules. I booked direct with ANA (which seems to be the issue). It does look like they aren't raising it with a supervisior even after I've requested it. On my last call the agent indicated they noted it in my reservation on the 500 CAD cancel fee already. Might be out of luck eh?
With ANA being a Japanese company I would expect your final answer is probably going to be no. I was offered a re-routing had I booked direct, but in terms of a no-fee cancellation, probably not.

Booking with a third-party would not have help you, as ANA would just tell you to contact them, who would then recite you the same fare rules.
Old Nov 15, 17, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
With ANA being a Japanese company I would expect your final answer is probably going to be no. I was offered a re-routing had I booked direct, but in terms of a no-fee cancellation, probably not.

Booking with a third-party would not have help you, as ANA would just tell you to contact them, who would then recite you the same fare rules.
Thanks for the info! Funny considering I originally wanted to take a re-routing but no dice on that response as well. I read some data points earlier in the thread so I had some hope it could happen.
Old Nov 15, 17, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by eliteguardstery View Post
Thanks for the info! Funny considering I originally wanted to take a re-routing but no dice on that response as well. I read some data points earlier in the thread so I had some hope it could happen.
I think your chances of a re-routing are good, if that's an acceptable alternative to you I would certainly keep calling.
Old Nov 15, 17, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by seks View Post
And also, can I be in TYO without any JPY on hand and just use CC? Or should I have at least some JPY just in case?
Just spent yesterday in Tokyo.
Most taxis take credit card. Double check first though.
The trains/subways take credit card.
The restaurant we ate at took credit.
Baggage storage takes credit card.

You should be fine without cash.
Old Nov 15, 17, 11:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by seks View Post
There was a brief discussion about land transfer: [FARE GONE] Ana yvr - syd $559 rt

My itinerary

Outbound
NRT 1540 - HND 2200

Inbound
HND 0505 - NRT 1700

Think gonna take the limo bus for the outbound since I only have 6h20m.

But for inbound, since I have time, someone suggested I take the train and stop at Shimbashi and roam around. Not sure what's there to do that early in the morning lol. I looked at this:

http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetud...r/us/index.php

So seems like I can hop off and hop on the ACCESS EXPRESS train?

Has anyone stop somewhere during your land transfer?

And also, can I be in TYO without any JPY on hand and just use CC? Or should I have at least some JPY just in case?
Just did it today (or better on the way to NRT). There are a few options - thats what I did:
1. Landed at 4.45 am, got some cash at the ATM at the baggage claim, Monorail to Hamamatsucho, a day pass for the JR Yamonte Line (750 Yen)
2. JR Line to Tokyo station, scored a large locker at the south entrance (600 yen), took the JR line to sugamo. The first michelin star restaurant hands out tickets from 7 am - was there at 6.30 and got some coffee & breakfast at Family Matter (since nothing was served on ANA & I woke up 50 minutes before landing, not even a chance for tea). Back to tokyo station for some starbucks coffee, a walk through ningyocho (missed it before)
3: JR lone to Shibuya for some shopping - they open at 10 am...quick stop at the 100 yen store next to harajuku station
4. Arrived at 11,30 for my noon time slot and there was a bit of a queue already. The ramen is 1705 yen and has to be paid in cash.
5. Walk to Rikugien gardens (300 yen or 240 yen with the free tokyo guide) and back to tokyo station. Quick stop at kitte and on the acess bus to narita for 1,000 yen

But one could visit Mei ju jingu shrine in combination with coffee at the famous Starbucks at Shubuya crossing or heading to Asakusa shrine.
Old Nov 16, 17, 2:18 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
Originally Posted by tracon View Post
The trains/subways take credit card.
NRT express yes but not general subway

The restaurant we ate at took credit.
​​​​​​​
My experience in Japan is 50% of merchants...Tsujuki sushi places sometimes don't. Rinku mall (yes I know, that's KIX) food court does not.

Baggage storage takes credit card.
Airport maybe. Subway station no.
Old Nov 16, 17, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
I think your chances of a re-routing are good, if that's an acceptable alternative to you I would certainly keep calling.
Thanks! I would have- but unfortunate as family decided they wanted to spend the holidays home ( Was flying out on the 22nd). I think I did attempt rerouting and they said they would have to reprice as well if I wanted to do LAX>NRT>SYD.
Old Nov 16, 17, 5:12 pm

Just got off NH 116 HND-YVR with a day in Tokyo.

Baggage storage is open 24 hrs and was 600 JPY for my rollaboard and backpack.

Subway machines in Haneda and around Tokyo did not take cards for the stations I went through. Plenty of ATMs to pull cash from in the terminal. I used about 8-9000 during the course of the day including some souvenirs. The PassMo card can be used across the lines I used ( Keisei line, JR Rail, Tokyo Monorail). Theres a 500 JPY deposit which can be refunded from the station agent at the departure level Keisei station. I'd probably reccomend putting in more than 1000 to begin because you'll only 500 of credit. net of the card deposit, which might not be enough to get you out the first exit (Ginza for me).

There is a sim card vending machine but it runs about 2500 JPY which is pretty steep for a day IMHO. There are mobile wifi hotspots available to rent but those opened later in the morning. Pickup is available somewhere if you prebook I think? I managed by hopping on and off wifi hotspots in the railway station and offline Google maps just fine.

Cradle seats are definitely not ideal for sleeping, but I did manage to knock out for a couple hours. I'm 5'11 180lbs and my legs didn't really feel cramped. (Seat 7K, no seatmate). Service and amenities were the same as the other flights.

Transfer back to the US, I did not need to clear Canadian customs (no checked bags). Went straight to airport security and then pre-clearance. Security took about 15 minutes and no line for CBP.
Old Nov 16, 17, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by roadtripguy View Post
Baggage storage is open 24 hrs and was 600 JPY for my rollaboard and backpack.
Is it obvious where the baggage storage is? I am planning on going into the city for a day, so I'd look to use the luggage storage.

Originally Posted by roadtripguy View Post
Transfer back to the US, I did not need to clear Canadian customs (no checked bags). Went straight to airport security and then pre-clearance. Security took about 15 minutes and no line for CBP.
Interesting. I didn't think this was possible, even without luggage. I might check a bag, but I have a connecting flight on AC back down to the Bay Area when I come back. One reason I don't want to check a suitcase is due to the extremely long layover on the return through HND.
Old Nov 17, 17, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Majuki View Post
Is it obvious where the baggage storage is? I am planning on going into the city for a day, so I'd look to use the luggage storage.
Its easy to find but the large lockers are filling up quickly- at Tokyo station there are some at the south entrance.
Old Nov 17, 17, 6:44 pm

I actually used the manned airport storage which is still easy to find. Its on the arrivals level towards the very end of the terminal near some bathrooms. Should be a left turn out of arrivals if I remember correctly. I did see the automated lockers that others have mentioned and they did seem rather full. Only noted one large locker that wasn't occupied.

Interesting. I didn't think this was possible, even without luggage. I might check a bag, but I have a connecting flight on AC back down to the Bay Area when I come back. One reason I don't want to check a suitcase is due to the extremely long layover on the return through HND.
Same, just follow the signs and you should be okay. I was extra skeptical since I was connecting to Westjet for my flight out, but there were a handful of airlines where connecting this way was possible. I was able to check-in online beforehand so i did not need to pick up an extra boarding pass. There was a computer kiosk and a manned desk for this purpose though it seems.
Old Nov 17, 17, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by roadtripguy
I actually used the manned airport storage which is still easy to find. Its on the arrivals level towards the very end of the terminal near some bathrooms. Should be a left turn out of arrivals if I remember correctly. I did see the automated lockers that others have mentioned and they did seem rather full. Only noted one large locker that wasn't occupied.
Yeah, I was looking to use the manned airport storage. It seems like a viable option and not subject to the same capacity constraints as the large lockers.

Originally Posted by roadtripguy
Same, just follow the signs and you should be okay. I was extra skeptical since I was connecting to Westjet for my flight out, but there were a handful of airlines where connecting this way was possible. I was able to check-in online beforehand so i did not need to pick up an extra boarding pass. There was a computer kiosk and a manned desk for this purpose though it seems.
Great. I was prepared to have to clear customs a second time in transit, but I'm glad to know that won't be necessary. I'm doing Air Canada, so I assume they'd have all of the transfer options in place.

I'm flying up on Saturday, and I'll spend two nights in Richmond before flying out on Monday. I figured I'd give myself a buffer on the front end. On the return it's not as essential getting back down the coast. I will report back after my journey. Thanks for the data points, everyone!

Search this Thread