Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE]QR Business (R) SGN-Various USA/EU/South America from $553 USD RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: platbrownguy
Original premium fare deal was for QR J class travel, originating in Vietnam (SGN and HAN) to several destinations across the Americas, Europe, and Africa. Travel period 8/2017 - 3/2018 inclusive, RT fares in the USD 500 - 700 range (USD $0.05 base fare).

Reports have now been circulating that all held, non-purchased fares have been canceled by the airline. Some held and then purchased fares were also canceled, but several reports indicate at least some of those have been re-instated.

For more information on flying Qatar Airways, visit the FT forum: Qatar Airways | Privilege Club. This thread in that forum is especially useful: Qatar Airways Forum Dashboard.

This wikipost is intended to help us better understand if there are any trends (by route, travel date, and/or held/ticketed status) in these cancellations. In all entries, please include: outbound or inbound departure date, origin-destination, original ticket status (only *if* "Held" or "Ticketed after Hold"), and current ticket status only *if* your ticket was cancelled ("Cancelled" or "Cancelled & Reinstated").

August HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Aug 05 SGN-Africa - Ticketed after Hold.
Aug 08 SGN-EZE
Aug 13 EZE-SGN
Aug 23 HAN-FRA

September HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Sep XX HAN-GRU
Sep 21 SGN-JFK
Sep 30 SGN-ORD - mster
Sep XX HAN-PHL
Sep XX SGN-JFK
Sep XX SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled & Reinstated.

October HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Oct 03 ORD-SGN - mster
Oct 07 SGN-DFW - mster
Oct 13 DFW-SGN - mster
Oct XX SGN-JNB

November HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Nov 05 SGN-JFK - trapped
Nov 07 JFK-SGN - trapped
Nov 09 SGN-ORD - trapped
Nov 16 ORD-SGN - trapped
Nov XX HAN-PHL - Ticketed after Hold.

December HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Dec 23 SGN-DFW pbg
Dec 28 DFW-SGN pbg
Dec 28 SGN-DFW
Dec XX SGN-DFW

January HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Jan 10 DFW-SGN
Jan 11 HAN-DFW
Jan 13 DFW-HAN
Jan 25 SGN-ORD - Booked via OTA. Davem4 (Happy for SGN meet late Jan)
Jan 31 HAN-ATL - mster
Jan XX SGN-SOF
Jan XX HAN-PHL - Ticketed after Hold.
Jan XX SGN-Africa
Jan XX DFW-SGN
Jan XX SGN-PHL
Jan XX SGN-EZE/GRU - Three RTs.
Jan XX SGN-DFW
Jan XX SGN-DFW

February HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Feb 20 ATL-HAN - mster
Feb XX SGN-JNB
Feb XX PHL-SGN
Feb XX GRU-SGN - Three RTs.
Feb 09 ORD-SGN - Booked via OTA. Davem4
Feb 10 SGN-WAW - Booked via OTA. - Davem4
Feb XX SGN-JFK - Booked via OTA - lcpteck

March HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Mar 01 SGN-ATL - mster
Mar 07 ATL-SGN - mster
Mar 04 SGN-JFK
Mar 19 JFK-SGN
Mar 01 HAN-MIA
Mar 04 MIA-HAN
Mar XX SGN-DFW
Mar XX SGN-DFW
Mar 03 WAW-SGN - Booked via OTA. - Davem4 (Happy for SGN meet early Mar)

Held & Cancelled
Aug XX SGN-FRA - Held. Cancelled.
Oct XX SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled.
Nov / Feb SGN-PHL - Held. Cancelled. (Held ~7:30pm. No record when I went to ticket Monday @8:30am.)
Jan / Feb SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE]QR Business (R) SGN-Various USA/EU/South America from $553 USD RT

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by KKslider
Qatar is not on the board of this transfer desk photo..

There is a second desk.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pl840502
First class lounge in Doh? I thought business class ticket can only get in business class lounge. Even emerald still can only do business class lounge...
My connection was in First Class, not in Business.. Obviously.

Went to Al Safwa ~ it was empty. Couldn't see spending more than two hrs there.
My spouse got bored, left and went down to duty free after :45 min.

Food excellent, drink good, but essentially big empty space.

Addendum: Apricot Lounge in SGN isn't worth stepping into. We went in, I got us to drinks, and the Missus wanted to go right away.. dirty crowded with alcohol the only reason to be there. Don't worry if you miss it. You're missing nothing.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by trapped
Spent the night in Saigon. Loved it. Definitely recommend visiting the city if you have a chance. To get to the city there’s a shuttle bus for $1 (20,000 VND) but a taxi only costs 120,000 or $5.
HCMC also has Uber, which was around ~$4 from the airport to District 1 for me. I also used it to get around the city, which was quite easy.

I only spent 1 day in HCMC as well, and did a free (tip based) tour called Light Up the Night that is offered by university students. I found this to be a great way to see and experience the city, as well as learn about the local customs, foods, and way of life.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ncSam
HCMC also has Uber, which was around ~$4 from the airport to District 1 for me. I also used it to get around the city, which was quite easy.
Right, I have T-Mobile which isn’t supported in Vietnam and I didn’t pay for international service otherwise, so I stuck to walking/taxi. It was weird going back to an Uber-less world! Did you try Uber Moto or their “Grab” service?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by trapped
Right, I have T-Mobile which isn’t supported in Vietnam and I didn’t pay for international service otherwise, so I stuck to walking/taxi. It was weird going back to an Uber-less world! Did you try Uber Moto or their “Grab” service?
Since I was traveling with my SO, we opted for a car every trip. If it were just me and I were traveling without luggage, I wouldn't hesitate to do Uber Moto or Grab Bike. As part of a tour my SO and I did, we rode with some university students on the backs of their motorbikes. We felt quite safe doing this despite the hectic driving , and it was a very unique and authentic way to see HCMC quickly.

If anyone is staying in VN more than a few days, I would recommend purchasing a SIM card, which can be done at airports. It was <$10 USD for unlimited data for 2 weeks, which I found to be quick and reliable.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I flew the outbound of one trip, SGN to JFK, but wasn't able to make the return due and was a no show. Today I called to see if I could still use the return ticket, and YES! I had to pay a no show and change fee of US$415, but there was no change in the ticket price because R class was available. Very pleased at the flexibility of this fare.
solewalker likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I flew the outbound of one trip, SGN to JFK, but wasn't able to make the return due and was a no show. Today I called to see if I could still use the return ticket, and YES! I had to pay a no show and change fee of US$415, but there was no change in the ticket price because R class was available. Very pleased at the flexibility of this fare.
Do you know what dates you could change to? I called about changing the ticket, but was told there was nothing left in R class
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xinliz
Do you know what dates you could change to? I called about changing the ticket, but was told there was nothing left in R class
I gave the agent a few dates and the first one he checked had R availability. If I recall correctly, there were some blackout dates, such as late December to early January, and I think there is a 90-day maximum stay. You might try searching on the QR website for business promo fares -- I think those book into R class.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: QF Gold
I can only see I fares now for business promo
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: CO Plat
Has anyone had any luck interlining with VJ (VietJet)? I'll be flying in from Taipei and have a little over 3 hours connection in HAN, which is a bit close for my liking considering I'll need to check a bag. Would be great if I could convince them to check through.

According to this press release they do have an interline agreement, including TPE: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/pres...Press-releases however I'm a bit worried the agents in TPE won't have any idea how to do that.

Any experiences?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by Unknown
Has anyone had any luck interlining with VJ (VietJet)? I'll be flying in from Taipei and have a little over 3 hours connection in HAN, which is a bit close for my liking considering I'll need to check a bag. Would be great if I could convince them to check through.

According to this press release they do have an interline agreement, including TPE: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/pres...Press-releases however I'm a bit worried the agents in TPE won't have any idea how to do that.

Any experiences?
In answer to my previous query, absolutely not. And in fact you may not be able to do airside transfer at all.

The VJ flight arrived late and the transfer counter was unstaffed. I had to ask several uniformed security-looking staff to find someone who worked the counter and they all said no transfers and I needed to go through immigration. I insisted that I could transfer and one of them finally agreed to call an airline staff over. The airline staff made several calls and also refused to check me in, saying the only reason is because I arrived on a "regional" flight. At this point time was getting short, and I told her I wouldn't be able to make the flight if I had to wait in the immigration line. Her reply was "then you'll need to fly back to Taipei."

I had them rush me through immigration (the immigration officer was baffled and tried to send me back to the transfer counter) and was able to check in outside. The Qatar staff were surprised there was no one at the transfer counter, but also agreed it was within their right to refuse check in there due the airline I was arriving on.

Do not count on being able to do an airside transfer at HAN unless you already have a BP.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Unknown
I

I had them rush me through immigration (the immigration officer was baffled and tried to send me back to the transfer counter) and was able to check in outside. The Qatar staff were surprised there was no one at the transfer counter, but also agreed it was within their right to refuse check in there due the airline I was arriving on.

Do not count on being able to do an airside transfer at HAN unless you already have a BP.

You can ONLY do this on full service Airlines in SGN.. No vietjet, air asia, etc... It must be a full service carrier, or you will enter Vietnam and check in landside.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I gave the agent a few dates and the first one he checked had R availability. If I recall correctly, there were some blackout dates, such as late December to early January, and I think there is a 90-day maximum stay. You might try searching on the QR website for business promo fares -- I think those book into R class.
Is the 90 day maximum stay enforced on changes also?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smachiz
Is the 90 day maximum stay enforced on changes also?
I don't know; I didn't ask. My desired date was exactly 90 days from the return and I didn't need a return date beyond that. What's interesting though is I received a new ticket with a new confirmation number showing only the one way, so maybe the 90-day rule is no longer in effect (?)
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: QF Gold
There is a new 787 service now for SGN-DOH.

Anyone been able to change to this, it turns a 9 hour layover into a 2 hour one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.