Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE]QR Business (R) SGN-Various USA/EU/South America from $553 USD RT

Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: platbrownguy
Original premium fare deal was for QR J class travel, originating in Vietnam (SGN and HAN) to several destinations across the Americas, Europe, and Africa. Travel period 8/2017 - 3/2018 inclusive, RT fares in the USD 500 - 700 range (USD $0.05 base fare).

Reports have now been circulating that all held, non-purchased fares have been canceled by the airline. Some held and then purchased fares were also canceled, but several reports indicate at least some of those have been re-instated.

For more information on flying Qatar Airways, visit the FT forum: Qatar Airways | Privilege Club. This thread in that forum is especially useful: Qatar Airways Forum Dashboard.

This wikipost is intended to help us better understand if there are any trends (by route, travel date, and/or held/ticketed status) in these cancellations. In all entries, please include: outbound or inbound departure date, origin-destination, original ticket status (only *if* "Held" or "Ticketed after Hold"), and current ticket status only *if* your ticket was cancelled ("Cancelled" or "Cancelled & Reinstated").

August HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Aug 05 SGN-Africa - Ticketed after Hold.
Aug 08 SGN-EZE
Aug 13 EZE-SGN
Aug 23 HAN-FRA

September HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Sep XX HAN-GRU
Sep 21 SGN-JFK
Sep 30 SGN-ORD - mster
Sep XX HAN-PHL
Sep XX SGN-JFK
Sep XX SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled & Reinstated.

October HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Oct 03 ORD-SGN - mster
Oct 07 SGN-DFW - mster
Oct 13 DFW-SGN - mster
Oct XX SGN-JNB

November HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Nov 05 SGN-JFK - trapped
Nov 07 JFK-SGN - trapped
Nov 09 SGN-ORD - trapped
Nov 16 ORD-SGN - trapped
Nov XX HAN-PHL - Ticketed after Hold.

December HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Dec 23 SGN-DFW pbg
Dec 28 DFW-SGN pbg
Dec 28 SGN-DFW
Dec XX SGN-DFW

January HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Jan 10 DFW-SGN
Jan 11 HAN-DFW
Jan 13 DFW-HAN
Jan 25 SGN-ORD - Booked via OTA. Davem4 (Happy for SGN meet late Jan)
Jan 31 HAN-ATL - mster
Jan XX SGN-SOF
Jan XX HAN-PHL - Ticketed after Hold.
Jan XX SGN-Africa
Jan XX DFW-SGN
Jan XX SGN-PHL
Jan XX SGN-EZE/GRU - Three RTs.
Jan XX SGN-DFW
Jan XX SGN-DFW

February HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Feb 20 ATL-HAN - mster
Feb XX SGN-JNB
Feb XX PHL-SGN
Feb XX GRU-SGN - Three RTs.
Feb 09 ORD-SGN - Booked via OTA. Davem4
Feb 10 SGN-WAW - Booked via OTA. - Davem4
Feb XX SGN-JFK - Booked via OTA - lcpteck

March HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Mar 01 SGN-ATL - mster
Mar 07 ATL-SGN - mster
Mar 04 SGN-JFK
Mar 19 JFK-SGN
Mar 01 HAN-MIA
Mar 04 MIA-HAN
Mar XX SGN-DFW
Mar XX SGN-DFW
Mar 03 WAW-SGN - Booked via OTA. - Davem4 (Happy for SGN meet early Mar)

Held & Cancelled
Aug XX SGN-FRA - Held. Cancelled.
Oct XX SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled.
Nov / Feb SGN-PHL - Held. Cancelled. (Held ~7:30pm. No record when I went to ticket Monday @8:30am.)
Jan / Feb SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE]QR Business (R) SGN-Various USA/EU/South America from $553 USD RT

Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
I flew in with JL in the morning with a print out boarding pass and decided not to enter the city. After the security check I did get to boarding area but lounge people insist that since they are a contracted lounge, their contract with airlines only permits passenger for using the loung no longer than 3 hours. They let me in for longer time in the end after lots of argument and phone calls but it was an one-time exception.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA:GOLD
My SGN-DOH just got re timed and I now have 45 minutes in DOH to catch my flight to CDG. I have things to do in Paris in the morning and a flight to catch at 2pm so taking the risk of missing the connection in DOH and getting rebook isn't an option.

What are my chances if I call QR and ask to change my departure airport to HKG or BKK to catch an earlier flight?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:45 am

I have 2 passengers on same ticket (or whatever you call it). I know people have gotten the ticket fully refunded but can I get only 1 of the 2 tickets refunded?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Out of curiosity, does anyone know which airlines specifically will let you transit airside (check-in/grab a boarding pass) without having to go through immigration at SGN? I've not been able to find this online, and the only references in this thread I've seen are recent accounts of limited desks. Are there more than just VN/QR counters there?

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by frausflyer
My SGN-DOH just got re timed and I now have 45 minutes in DOH to catch my flight to CDG.
That's not a legal connection. MCT at DOH is 60 minutes.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by nov11
That's not a legal connection. MCT at DOH is 60 minutes.
It's 45 minutes for QR-QR.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by klausa
Opps. Sorry. Didn't read the footnote
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: BA:GOLD
Originally Posted by klausa
Under ideal conditions according to QR website. 5 minutes delay plus a remote stand isn't rare those days.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: CX D, AF P, AA EP, UA G, Hilton D, Marriott Ti, IHG Plat
Hello from SGN. Just arrived from TPE on Eva around 12pm. I was able to do OLCI and print off my boarding pass; however, the security screening agent at the transfer area insisted I needed a boarding pass printed by the transfer desks. Fortunately, she was able to call over a QR rep to print one off for me. I think the QR rep was around because of transfers to PHN. Now sitting in the Apricot Lounge, but they are only allowing me to be here for 3 hours. Not a big deal since I can move to the Orchid Lounge with my Priority Pass.
I purchased an e-visa and carried it with me, but did not need to use it. Although it was helpful to have when I checked in for my SGN flight in Charleston - the UA rep in CHS was a bit clueless (didn't even know where SGN was) so trying to explain to her that I didn't actually need a visa in Vietnam would have been painful. I decided to stay a night in SGN on my return so will use my e-visa then.
By the way, Marriott has a good promo right now (stay 2 nights and get a free 1-5 category certificate). I have taken advantage of this to book the Renaissance Riverside.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: CX D, AF P, AA EP, UA G, Hilton D, Marriott Ti, IHG Plat
Those looking for positioning for flights from the US, I found the best option was 80k MileagePlus points for EVA one way business class. 777-300ers all the way with great service, food, and hard product. On my return, I used 15k Avois to book a CX business class ticket on their new A350 from SGN-HKG.

Last edited by hew204; Oct 19, 2017 at 12:00 am
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold
One-way / Throw-away - Refund Possible

I booked this fare for travel that occurred a few weeks ago. I tried to pick a date where I could make the return trip to Vietnam work but no luck.

I was fine paying for this as a one-way and then throwing out the return given the price.

But just want to report that you can go to your booking after you've flown your outbound segments and request a cancelation. The fare is zero with all the value in the taxes/fees which are refundable.

Of my $672 "fare" I got $403 refunded back to my original form of payment within a few days of requesting the cancelation on QR's website.

Nice option for people who really only intended this to be a one-way trip.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by LGAflyer

Of my $672 "fare" I got $403 refunded back to my original form of payment within a few days of requesting the cancelation on QR's website.

Nice option for people who really only intended this to be a one-way trip.
Thanks for posting ! I was just going to throw it away too...
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LGAflyer
There's a chance I'll need to do this as well, so than you for the data point. Were you told the amount that you would be refunded by QR's website when going through the cancellation process, or did you just have to request the refund and hope for the best?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
I attempted to check in online with QR but was unsuccessful (see an agent). After a lot of online searching previously, and staying current with this thread, felt reasonably comfortable I could easily obtain boarding passes at the SGN transit desk. Well, I arrived in SGN on Air Asia with 3+ hours of transit time before the QR departure. At the transfer desk, I asked to obtain boarding passes on QR, and was asked for my passport, ticket confirmation, and boarding pass of my inbound flight. The agent informed me that discount carriers do not have agreements with the major carriers and so I had to clear immigration and go to the main counter to obtain my boarding pass. That sounded odd but another staff member confirmed that. Fortunately, they contacted Air Asia and the manager came to me and said indeed, Air Asia does not provide this service, but he would contact QR to see if they would issue me boarding passes nonetheless. 10 minutes later, I got them, and was informed that I really should have a visa.

Originally Posted by cbaronne
Out of curiosity, does anyone know which airlines specifically will let you transit airside (check-in/grab a boarding pass) without having to go through immigration at SGN? I've not been able to find this online, and the only references in this thread I've seen are recent accounts of limited desks. Are there more than just VN/QR counters there?

Thanks!
Apparently, major carriers handle transits but discount carriers do not. I found three websites that all indicated transit visas are not required if you have an onward ticket, don't leave the transit area, and depart within 24 hours. What they don't say is that only applies to major carriers and not discount airlines.
cbaronne likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Apparently, major carriers handle transits but discount carriers do not. I found three websites that all indicated transit visas are not required if you have an onward ticket, don't leave the transit area, and depart within 24 hours. What they don't say is that only applies to major carriers and not discount airlines.
Thanks very much for this info! I was planning on flying Scoot/Jetstar in there and expecting to transit airside, so I'm glad you mentioned something. I'll likely stick with VN or someone similar to avoid any issues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.