Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE]QR Business (R) SGN-Various USA/EU/South America from $553 USD RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: platbrownguy
Original premium fare deal was for QR J class travel, originating in Vietnam (SGN and HAN) to several destinations across the Americas, Europe, and Africa. Travel period 8/2017 - 3/2018 inclusive, RT fares in the USD 500 - 700 range (USD $0.05 base fare).

Reports have now been circulating that all held, non-purchased fares have been canceled by the airline. Some held and then purchased fares were also canceled, but several reports indicate at least some of those have been re-instated.

For more information on flying Qatar Airways, visit the FT forum: Qatar Airways | Privilege Club. This thread in that forum is especially useful: Qatar Airways Forum Dashboard.

This wikipost is intended to help us better understand if there are any trends (by route, travel date, and/or held/ticketed status) in these cancellations. In all entries, please include: outbound or inbound departure date, origin-destination, original ticket status (only *if* "Held" or "Ticketed after Hold"), and current ticket status only *if* your ticket was cancelled ("Cancelled" or "Cancelled & Reinstated").

August HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Aug 05 SGN-Africa - Ticketed after Hold.
Aug 08 SGN-EZE
Aug 13 EZE-SGN
Aug 23 HAN-FRA

September HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Sep XX HAN-GRU
Sep 21 SGN-JFK
Sep 30 SGN-ORD - mster
Sep XX HAN-PHL
Sep XX SGN-JFK
Sep XX SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled & Reinstated.

October HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Oct 03 ORD-SGN - mster
Oct 07 SGN-DFW - mster
Oct 13 DFW-SGN - mster
Oct XX SGN-JNB

November HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Nov 05 SGN-JFK - trapped
Nov 07 JFK-SGN - trapped
Nov 09 SGN-ORD - trapped
Nov 16 ORD-SGN - trapped
Nov XX HAN-PHL - Ticketed after Hold.

December HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Dec 23 SGN-DFW pbg
Dec 28 DFW-SGN pbg
Dec 28 SGN-DFW
Dec XX SGN-DFW

January HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Jan 10 DFW-SGN
Jan 11 HAN-DFW
Jan 13 DFW-HAN
Jan 25 SGN-ORD - Booked via OTA. Davem4 (Happy for SGN meet late Jan)
Jan 31 HAN-ATL - mster
Jan XX SGN-SOF
Jan XX HAN-PHL - Ticketed after Hold.
Jan XX SGN-Africa
Jan XX DFW-SGN
Jan XX SGN-PHL
Jan XX SGN-EZE/GRU - Three RTs.
Jan XX SGN-DFW
Jan XX SGN-DFW

February HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Feb 20 ATL-HAN - mster
Feb XX SGN-JNB
Feb XX PHL-SGN
Feb XX GRU-SGN - Three RTs.
Feb 09 ORD-SGN - Booked via OTA. Davem4
Feb 10 SGN-WAW - Booked via OTA. - Davem4
Feb XX SGN-JFK - Booked via OTA - lcpteck

March HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Mar 01 SGN-ATL - mster
Mar 07 ATL-SGN - mster
Mar 04 SGN-JFK
Mar 19 JFK-SGN
Mar 01 HAN-MIA
Mar 04 MIA-HAN
Mar XX SGN-DFW
Mar XX SGN-DFW
Mar 03 WAW-SGN - Booked via OTA. - Davem4 (Happy for SGN meet early Mar)

Held & Cancelled
Aug XX SGN-FRA - Held. Cancelled.
Oct XX SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled.
Nov / Feb SGN-PHL - Held. Cancelled. (Held ~7:30pm. No record when I went to ticket Monday @8:30am.)
Jan / Feb SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE]QR Business (R) SGN-Various USA/EU/South America from $553 USD RT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by KarRoyJesse
Thank you. Will call the local office to confirm. Guess I'll have to spend some time in the OW lounge at BKK and still go to HAN
Or take the train/uber into the city, get a massage and lunch and head back to the airport
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:17 am

I'm currently in the Apricot lounge doing a B2B at SGN. If you didn't know the same plane does a tag flight to PNH so not a true B2B .
Some thoughts for those doing the same:

I printed out the next flights' boarding passes in the Al Mourjan lounge. The landside business check-in desk at DOH couldn't/didn't want to print them out (I used +Qatar for a long layover).

Inbound boarding passes were checked at the gate when leaving. Yellow "health forms" needed to be completed.

Went to the transfer desk, there was one girl (contract) working the space under the "Qatar Airways" monitor. Was asked which plane I came from and its boarding pass and the next flight's pass. She was nonplussed about both being Qatar.

However, I was then asked to wait until 16:30 (2 more hours) so that the QR staff could issue another boarding and lounge pass, otherwise transfer security wouldn't let me through. I politely insisted I did have a valid boarding pass (it says "boarding pass").

After speaking with the transfer security people and a couple of phone calls, I was allowed through. The lounge knew I was coming. I'm not sure if my boarding pass will be reprinted.

So here I am eating lukewarm pho on my second pho fare

ps; for those staying in SGN, the immigration lines were loooong, it looked like all were open but the wait would easily top one hour.
pps; I have a Vietnam visa and it was checked.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:34 am

[QUOTE=

ps; for those staying in SGN, the immigration lines were loooong, it looked like all were open but the wait would easily top one hour.
pps; I have a Vietnam visa and it was checked.[/QUOTE]

Good to know about the long times to factor in any positioning flights make sure we leave lots of time.
Congrats on your first trip, Im glad you made it safe and sound and your trip was in tact and we will all have the same luck
Enjoy your business class
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by extops
I'm currently in the Apricot lounge doing a B2B at SGN. If you didn't know the same plane does a tag flight to PNH so not a true B2B .
You are taking the exact same plane that brought you to SGN on the first available flight back to where you started from (DOH).

It *is* a B2B!!!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by irishguy28
You are taking the exact same plane that brought you to SGN on the first available flight back to where you started from (DOH).

It *is* a B2B!!!
However the plane goes somewhere else on a 5th freedom first. So a B2B for pax, but not the for the a/c.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
However the plane goes somewhere else on a 5th freedom first. So a B2B for pax, but not the for the a/c.
Exactly...but you catch the plane as soon as it heads back, so whether it stayed on the ground all along, went off for a spot of maintenance, or operated a 5th freedom "tag" doesn't really matter. You still head back at the first opportunity!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Exactly...but you catch the plane as soon as it heads back, so whether it stayed on the ground all along, went off for a spot of maintenance, or operated a 5th freedom "tag" doesn't really matter. You still head back at the first opportunity!
I have OP's B2B scheduled and I'm considering using my positioning flight as the PNH-SGN segment which would give me both sides of the coin.

However I'm a tad concerned the PNH-SGN // SGN-DOH (separate tickets) connection could be problematic.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:29 pm

I had to cancel my ticket due to a family issue.

On the plus side, QR.com offered a full refund right away.

Next time!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by YYZC2
I had to cancel my ticket due to a family issue.

On the plus side, QR.com offered a full refund right away.

Next time!
You should be extremely grateful that you weren't charged a full cancellation fee
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
You should be extremely grateful that you weren't charged a full cancellation fee
Agreed. I was actually on hold with QR reservations expecting to have my feet held to the fire. I clicked on the refund button on QR.com out of curiosity and was very surprised to be offered the 100% refund. Took the offer and have an e-mail confirming same so let's see what happens.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
First time on an error fare for me. Think it's safe at this stage (now that some have flown) to proceed with non-refundable bookings or is there still a good chance some of us flying later on will have problems?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by wuileng
First time on an error fare for me. Think it's safe at this stage (now that some have flown) to proceed with non-refundable bookings or is there still a good chance some of us flying later on will have problems?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, wuileng. I've started to make non-refundable bookings for travel in October. I think the dust has pretty much settled and speculate in this case, it's highly unlikely for ticketed and paid tickets to be canceled.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:13 am

Hi tower, Guinea Pig Airways 3 here

just finished PVG-HKG-SGN-DOH//DOH-GRU-EZE and reporting from EZE now. got a fully detailed trip report with specifics in seats, transit, lounge and onboard experience here.

https://beyounged.wordpress.com/2017/08/11/qatari-hop-2017/

put it in short, couple takeaways:
1. 1.5hr separate ticket transit at SGN is perfectly doable, risky for sure, but rewarding also for sure
2. CX agent did not ask me for Vietnam visa upon check in at PVG
3. A333 on QR is okay, little storage, good service
4. for folks who can get Qatar+ stopover hotel program, DO IT. It is practically robbery at 25USD a night for 5 star hotel suites.
5. Doha not as expensive as a lot claim
6. 777-200LR DOH-GRU-EZE is painful even in C, the seat felt more like an angle flat, which is unacceptable when you have to sit in it for 20+hr
7. seatguru lies. do not get seat 4A, 5B, 6A and their mirror opposite on 777-200LR
8. you do not disembark in GRU, you literally sit in your seat and watch staff pick up trash
9. almost forgot, the agent at QR transit desk only shows up at 16:30, so I strongly recommend you guys print out a boarding pass before coming into SGN if you guys want to go to the terminal proper and not stuck in a limbo zone where there was 5 seats and A LOT of chaos. But the lounge pass is only given out by the agent and hand written, so my fellow Air Guinea Pig staffs have to go check out how to access it without the QR agent giving you one.

will update with more details.

Last edited by beyounged; Aug 11, 2017 at 12:24 pm Reason: added point 9
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by beyounged
Hi tower, Guinea Pig Airways 3 here

just finished PVG-HKG-SGN-DOH//DOH-GRU-EZE and reporting from EZE now. got a fully detailed trip report with specifics in seats, transit, lounge and onboard experience here.

https://beyounged.wordpress.com/2017/08/11/qatari-hop-2017/

put it in short, couple takeaways:
1. 1.5hr separate ticket transit at SGN is perfectly doable, risky for sure, but rewarding also for sure
2. CX agent did not ask me for Vietnam visa upon check in at PVG
3. A333 on QR is okay, little storage, good service
4. for folks who can get Qatar+ stopover hotel program, DO IT. It is practically robbery at 25USD a night for 5 star hotel suites.
5. Doha not as expensive as a lot claim
6. 777-200LR DOH-GRU-EZE is painful even in C, the seat felt more like an angle flat, which is unacceptable when you have to sit in it for 20+hr
7. seatguru lies. do not get seat 4A, 5B, 6A and their mirror opposite on 777-200LR
8. you do not disembark in GRU, you literally sit in your seat and watch staff pick up trash

will update with more details.
"Edgelord is my middle name, and I pick my teeth with a fidget spinner."

.....great report though! :P
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:11 pm

Awesome trip report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.