Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE]QR Business (R) SGN-Various USA/EU/South America from $553 USD RT

Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: platbrownguy
Original premium fare deal was for QR J class travel, originating in Vietnam (SGN and HAN) to several destinations across the Americas, Europe, and Africa. Travel period 8/2017 - 3/2018 inclusive, RT fares in the USD 500 - 700 range (USD $0.05 base fare).

Reports have now been circulating that all held, non-purchased fares have been canceled by the airline. Some held and then purchased fares were also canceled, but several reports indicate at least some of those have been re-instated.

For more information on flying Qatar Airways, visit the FT forum: Qatar Airways | Privilege Club. This thread in that forum is especially useful: Qatar Airways Forum Dashboard.

This wikipost is intended to help us better understand if there are any trends (by route, travel date, and/or held/ticketed status) in these cancellations. In all entries, please include: outbound or inbound departure date, origin-destination, original ticket status (only *if* "Held" or "Ticketed after Hold"), and current ticket status only *if* your ticket was cancelled ("Cancelled" or "Cancelled & Reinstated").

August HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Aug 05 SGN-Africa - Ticketed after Hold.
Aug 08 SGN-EZE
Aug 13 EZE-SGN
Aug 23 HAN-FRA

September HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Sep XX HAN-GRU
Sep 21 SGN-JFK
Sep 30 SGN-ORD - mster
Sep XX HAN-PHL
Sep XX SGN-JFK
Sep XX SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled & Reinstated.

October HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Oct 03 ORD-SGN - mster
Oct 07 SGN-DFW - mster
Oct 13 DFW-SGN - mster
Oct XX SGN-JNB

November HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Nov 05 SGN-JFK - trapped
Nov 07 JFK-SGN - trapped
Nov 09 SGN-ORD - trapped
Nov 16 ORD-SGN - trapped
Nov XX HAN-PHL - Ticketed after Hold.

December HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Dec 23 SGN-DFW pbg
Dec 28 DFW-SGN pbg
Dec 28 SGN-DFW
Dec XX SGN-DFW

January HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Jan 10 DFW-SGN
Jan 11 HAN-DFW
Jan 13 DFW-HAN
Jan 25 SGN-ORD - Booked via OTA. Davem4 (Happy for SGN meet late Jan)
Jan 31 HAN-ATL - mster
Jan XX SGN-SOF
Jan XX HAN-PHL - Ticketed after Hold.
Jan XX SGN-Africa
Jan XX DFW-SGN
Jan XX SGN-PHL
Jan XX SGN-EZE/GRU - Three RTs.
Jan XX SGN-DFW
Jan XX SGN-DFW

February HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Feb 20 ATL-HAN - mster
Feb XX SGN-JNB
Feb XX PHL-SGN
Feb XX GRU-SGN - Three RTs.
Feb 09 ORD-SGN - Booked via OTA. Davem4
Feb 10 SGN-WAW - Booked via OTA. - Davem4
Feb XX SGN-JFK - Booked via OTA - lcpteck

March HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Mar 01 SGN-ATL - mster
Mar 07 ATL-SGN - mster
Mar 04 SGN-JFK
Mar 19 JFK-SGN
Mar 01 HAN-MIA
Mar 04 MIA-HAN
Mar XX SGN-DFW
Mar XX SGN-DFW
Mar 03 WAW-SGN - Booked via OTA. - Davem4 (Happy for SGN meet early Mar)

Held & Cancelled
Aug XX SGN-FRA - Held. Cancelled.
Oct XX SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled.
Nov / Feb SGN-PHL - Held. Cancelled. (Held ~7:30pm. No record when I went to ticket Monday @8:30am.)
Jan / Feb SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE]QR Business (R) SGN-Various USA/EU/South America from $553 USD RT

Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jona970318
Just finished the return of my 2/3 set of these. I'm looking to change my return date after flying the outbound.
Does anyone recall the "All travel must be completed by" date? If anyone has a copy of the fare rules that you can paste here that'd be awesome!
Here are the fare rules for my SGN-JFK flight in which I departed on Dec. 12th. Looks like the maximum stay is 90 days. It states that refunds are not allowed, but I and others have reported full refunds.

Change conditions

Ho Chi Minh City - New York

1. Prior to Departure of first flight
    1. Changes*: Not applicable (See reissue conditions)
    2. Reissue: Allowed with restrictions
    3. Penalty fee for ticket reissue between: 0.00 USD / 415.00 USD (at today exchange rates 0.00 USD / 415.00 USD)
    4. New travel dates must be prior to: Tuesday, July 31, 2018
    5. Maximum Reissue penalty fee for entire ticket: 415.00 USD
  2. No-show for first flight
    3. Penalty fee for ticket reissue between: 415.00 USD / 415.00 USD (at today exchange rates 415.00 USD / 415.00 USD)
    4. New travel dates and change request must be prior to: Tuesday, July 31, 2018
  3. After departure of first flight
    3. Penalty fee for ticket reissue between: 0.00 USD / 415.00 USD (at today exchange rates 0.00 USD / 415.00 USD)
    4. New travel dates must be prior to: Wednesday, December 12, 2018
  4. No-show for subsequent flight(s)
    3. Penalty fee for ticket reissue between: 415.00 USD / 415.00 USD (at today exchange rates 415.00 USD / 415.00 USD)
    4. New travel dates and change request must be prior to: Wednesday, December 12, 2018

New York - Ho Chi Minh City

4. New travel dates must be prior to: Tuesday, July 31, 2018
    4. New travel dates and change request must be prior to: Tuesday, July 31, 2018
    4. New travel dates must be prior to: Wednesday, December 12, 2018
    4. New travel dates and change request must be prior to: Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Refund conditions

1. Refund: Not allowed

Advance Purchase

1. There is no advance purchase requirement

1. There is no advance purchase requirement

Minimum stay

1. Travel must commence after: Thursday, December 14, 2017 from John F Kennedy International

Maximum stay

1. Travel must commence before: Monday, March 12, 2018 from John F Kennedy International
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:32 pm

I start flying this fare next week, has anyone done an AA status match to get Plat instead of gold out of it? I wonder if QR flights would count towards the the 12,500 eqm and 2k eqd.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by sgan317
I start flying this fare next week, has anyone done an AA status match to get Plat instead of gold out of it? I wonder if QR flights would count towards the the 12,500 eqm and 2k eqd.
QR is not eligible for EQM and EQD for challenges.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Took the first segment exSGN today with great service and arrived in DOH an hour early to the Al Mourjan lounge down because of plumbing problems; everyone in turn being sent to the Al Safwa lounge. Currently it's very quiet in here which is welcome after the difficulty of finding a seat at midnight.

While I was glad to get a shower without much wait I was not pleased to be given the jacuzzi room with no sink, no toilet, no toiletries and no lock AND the admonition that the jacuzzi use would cost 200QD (from what I understood). Staff seemed completely non-plussed about my displeasure.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:46 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
[QUOTE=dsquared37;29262988]Took the first segment exSGN today with great service and arrived in DOH

Never been to Doha, but read that after the Gulf embargo, DOH airport is super empty and quiet. Did that match up with you experience? I really want to get a picture with the huge teddy bear for instagram without any people in the pic haha. Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
[QUOTE=Quinlanty;29263787]
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Took the first segment exSGN today with great service and arrived in DOH

Never been to Doha, but read that after the Gulf embargo, DOH airport is super empty and quiet. Did that match up with you experience? I really want to get a picture with the huge teddy bear for instagram without any people in the pic haha. Thanks!
In a word, nope. In the 8-10 times I've been through since the embargo, it has ranged from quietER to heaving, just as it always did. It (especially the lounges) has always felt very "peaky" in terms of crowds, with certain times feeling quite empty and others feeling crowded. I don't think that's changed with the embargo although perhaps the timing of the peaks is different due to the composition of the flights.

If you're patient and lucky you can possibly manage a pic without people in it, but certainly not from a distance
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Quinlanty

At midnight it was "Is there even a seat open anywhere?" packed. By 3AM a ghost town and then by 6AM packed to the gills (if an airport has gills mind you).
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:50 pm

Heads up - I booked a ticket due to depart in March. It was never cancelled in the first batch of cancellations / reinstatements last year. Anyway, just went to log in at QR.com and it's giving me this error:
This trip cannot be found. It may have been cancelled (4649)
Chasing up with QR now.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:13 am

Hello from the Apricot Lounge,

Heads up for anyone still still flying this fare, I did a ridiculous positioning flight on Thai from Melbourne to Bangkok to SGN. In Melbourne I went to the QR desk to try to get my boarding pass so I wouldn’t get caught in the transit zone for my 8 hour layover. The QR agent wouldn’t issue the boarding pass but they told me to have the Thai agent issue my checked baggage all the way through to JFK from MEL as QR and TG have a baggage services agreement. The Thai agent was able to ticket my bag all the way through and was even able to print my QR boarding pass on the Thai ticket stock. That allowed me to cross into the terminal without waiting for an official QR boarding pass.

If you’re flying on Thai make sure to check bags all the way through. I had to reconfirm with QR that they had my baggage in SGN.

I was also able to get my lounge pass and official boarding card from the agents at the gate for the early 2pm flight heading to Phnom Penh
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Just flew my outbound and cancelled my inbound -- got $370 out of the original $570 refunded!
Wadexis likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Just for my personal curiosity and for those who are wondering, I called QR about the change fees (after flying outbound) and was told that I could change my return, but it will be rebooked to I class even though R was available and it was ~$145USD change fees plus about ~$3000 in fare difference.

Last edited by nov11; Jan 26, 2018 at 3:01 pm
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by nov11
Just for my personal curiosity and for those who are wondering, I called QR about the change fees (after flying outbound) and was told that I could change my return, but it will be rebooked to I class even though R was available and it was ~$145USD change fees plus about ~$3000 in fare difference.
As mentioned upthread, I was able to change and book into I class and only had to pay the change fee of around $400. That was still within 90 days of my departure. Was you new date greater than 90 days? If within 90 days, did you ask for dates in which the R fare class was available?

I just flew JFK-DOH-SGN on the Q Suite 773 and then 787. Both were great flights. I loved the Q Suite overall but found the 787 more comfortable for sleeping.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
As mentioned upthread, I was able to change and book into I class and only had to pay the change fee of around $400. That was still within 90 days of my departure. Was you new date greater than 90 days? If within 90 days, did you ask for dates in which the R fare class was available?
I asked for a day earlier or a day later, both with R class available (and still within 90 days)
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by nov11
I asked for a day earlier or a day later, both with R class available (and still within 90 days)
I was told the same thing. Wanted to fly a day earlier to avoid the long layover to SGN by switching to the new 787 route. Gave up.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
I have a long layover in Doha on my return flight. I was thinking about doing the city tour offered at the airport. Has anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.