Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE]QR Business (R) SGN-Various USA/EU/South America from $553 USD RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: platbrownguy
Original premium fare deal was for QR J class travel, originating in Vietnam (SGN and HAN) to several destinations across the Americas, Europe, and Africa. Travel period 8/2017 - 3/2018 inclusive, RT fares in the USD 500 - 700 range (USD $0.05 base fare).

Reports have now been circulating that all held, non-purchased fares have been canceled by the airline. Some held and then purchased fares were also canceled, but several reports indicate at least some of those have been re-instated.

For more information on flying Qatar Airways, visit the FT forum: Qatar Airways | Privilege Club. This thread in that forum is especially useful: Qatar Airways Forum Dashboard.

This wikipost is intended to help us better understand if there are any trends (by route, travel date, and/or held/ticketed status) in these cancellations. In all entries, please include: outbound or inbound departure date, origin-destination, original ticket status (only *if* "Held" or "Ticketed after Hold"), and current ticket status only *if* your ticket was cancelled ("Cancelled" or "Cancelled & Reinstated").

August HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Aug 05 SGN-Africa - Ticketed after Hold.
Aug 08 SGN-EZE
Aug 13 EZE-SGN
Aug 23 HAN-FRA

September HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Sep XX HAN-GRU
Sep 21 SGN-JFK
Sep 30 SGN-ORD - mster
Sep XX HAN-PHL
Sep XX SGN-JFK
Sep XX SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled & Reinstated.

October HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Oct 03 ORD-SGN - mster
Oct 07 SGN-DFW - mster
Oct 13 DFW-SGN - mster
Oct XX SGN-JNB

November HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Nov 05 SGN-JFK - trapped
Nov 07 JFK-SGN - trapped
Nov 09 SGN-ORD - trapped
Nov 16 ORD-SGN - trapped
Nov XX HAN-PHL - Ticketed after Hold.

December HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Dec 23 SGN-DFW pbg
Dec 28 DFW-SGN pbg
Dec 28 SGN-DFW
Dec XX SGN-DFW

January HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Jan 10 DFW-SGN
Jan 11 HAN-DFW
Jan 13 DFW-HAN
Jan 25 SGN-ORD - Booked via OTA. Davem4 (Happy for SGN meet late Jan)
Jan 31 HAN-ATL - mster
Jan XX SGN-SOF
Jan XX HAN-PHL - Ticketed after Hold.
Jan XX SGN-Africa
Jan XX DFW-SGN
Jan XX SGN-PHL
Jan XX SGN-EZE/GRU - Three RTs.
Jan XX SGN-DFW
Jan XX SGN-DFW

February HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Feb 20 ATL-HAN - mster
Feb XX SGN-JNB
Feb XX PHL-SGN
Feb XX GRU-SGN - Three RTs.
Feb 09 ORD-SGN - Booked via OTA. Davem4
Feb 10 SGN-WAW - Booked via OTA. - Davem4
Feb XX SGN-JFK - Booked via OTA - lcpteck

March HAN/SGN-XXX & XXX-HAN/SGN
Mar 01 SGN-ATL - mster
Mar 07 ATL-SGN - mster
Mar 04 SGN-JFK
Mar 19 JFK-SGN
Mar 01 HAN-MIA
Mar 04 MIA-HAN
Mar XX SGN-DFW
Mar XX SGN-DFW
Mar 03 WAW-SGN - Booked via OTA. - Davem4 (Happy for SGN meet early Mar)

Held & Cancelled
Aug XX SGN-FRA - Held. Cancelled.
Oct XX SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled.
Nov / Feb SGN-PHL - Held. Cancelled. (Held ~7:30pm. No record when I went to ticket Monday @8:30am.)
Jan / Feb SGN-JFK - Held. Cancelled.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE]QR Business (R) SGN-Various USA/EU/South America from $553 USD RT

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by nsfw
I'll give you a hint to figure out if it's a mistake or not. $0+tax fare basis is a mistake. They can't feed people champagne and steak and fly them around the world for $0 and stay in business. No matter how rich their government backing is. It's not a charity.
While I agree in principle, I've had long-haul flights on QR that didn't include steak as an option. Does that change anything?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:11 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by skunker
While I agree in principle, I've had long-haul flights on QR that didn't include steak as an option. Does that change anything?

lol
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: AB Gold, TK Elite
Booked SGN-CPH for January to February. Held for about 20 minutes. Not its cancelled, didn't get a cancellation email. Tried to manage my booking and it said that no booking is found.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by nsfw
I'll give you a hint to figure out if it's a mistake or not. $0+tax fare basis is a mistake. They can't feed people champagne and steak and fly them around the world for $0 and stay in business. No matter how rich their government backing is. It's not a charity.
I've got a deal for you. $0 for a brand new, top of the line widget. You just have to pay $500 in shipping and handling fees. Clearly I am not making money on this; so it must be a mistake, right? I am not a charity after all.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:19 pm

My response from Qatar

In response to me reaching out to them on twitter asking what happened to my 48 hour hold itin that I wanted to purchase this morning (this was well after others started blog posts about getting canceled and well after the deal was termed as dead, so no, I didn't contact them during the deal):

Your ticket was on hold, but payment was not completed. This fare is no longer available and we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Their hold language uses the word "guarantee", but we all know how that goes. It's guaranteed until they decide it isn't.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS G75K
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
It's guaranteed until they decide it isn't.
exactly: a hold is an option to possibly, potentially purchase at a later defined date/time at an agreed upon price but only if seller (QR) decides to honor the agreed upon price
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by l'etoile
I suspect the time of the purchase is what's relevant. The twitter keeps referencing the T&Cs. If you put the ticket on hold (or even if you didn't) but bought it after the fare expired, perhaps that explains the cancellation.
I had e-ticket numbers and they were canceled.

For e-tickets to be issued, the fare had to be valid at the time of purchase, even if it expired afterwards.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:36 pm

Before anyone starts speculating on contract law or DOTs position on all this, a primer is in order.
See
https://works.bepress.com/terence_lau/16/
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Coffee84
exactly: a hold is an option to possibly, potentially purchase at a later defined date/time at an agreed upon price but only if seller (QR) decides to honor the agreed upon price
While I don't disagree with what you are saying, airlines that allow holds need to amend their language...here is Qatar's:

In exchange for a small fee, Hold My Booking allows you to reserve your itinerary for a limited time, without immediately paying the price of the ticket. The total fare will be guaranteed for the dates and flights you selected, and you will be protected from any price changes. You will be redirected to our payment page where you can choose your preferred form of payment and complete your payment to hold your booking. Please note that this fee is non-refundable and it will not be deducted from the price of the ticket(s). Your booking will be cancelled if the payment is not completed within the time frame selected.

When you put language in there that states the fare for the dates and times is guaranteed and you are protected from price changes, yet they can cancel at any time, it is misleading. I don't know any other industry that allows somebody to use the word "guarantee" and still not have to honor what they are supposedly guaranteeing.

As I've seen many deals like this and was included on the AA fiasco, I probably should have known better and just purchased...but this goes back to what is a error and what isn't and where do you draw the line.

Out of curiosity, does Qatar allow you to cancel within 24 hours of a purchase?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
Before anyone starts speculating on contract law or DOTs position on all this, a primer is in order.
See
https://works.bepress.com/terence_lau/16/
I love the point where everybody starts stating contract law, DOT, and EU 261 as if that'll change anything.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
For what its worth I have two trips both for travel in November still showing as confirmed. I paid for both immediately after the great hold cancelation of 2016.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Just got off the phone with the US call center for QR. They're advising me to send a complaint via their website to their E-Commerce team as they're the ones who cancelled my reservation due to it being an "invalid fare".
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Just got off the phone with the US call center for QR. They're advising me to send a complaint via their website to their E-Commerce team as they're the ones who cancelled my reservation due to it being an "invalid fare".
Case number -> Recycle bin -> Empty trash
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: SIA Gold, AA PlatPro, AC 75k, Hilton Diamond
Here's my ticket:

24/AUG-2/SEP, SGN-ATL-SGN, Ticketed immediately without holding, Ticket still alive.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
real ? on my mind is whether I should fly from the US to SGN tomorrow in order to catch my Aug4 Qatar flight..... positioning is yyz-tpe-sgn.

I recall on other fare sales, those with the earliest travel dates succeeded, and despite the return portion being months away, it would likely remain untouched once one segment from the ticket was used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.