Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] LA: MEX-IPC r/t in J for ~US$1,150

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] LA: MEX-IPC r/t in J for ~US$1,150

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by beyounged
I departed the day before you! Iberia lounge in MEX is a dump, AA admiral's club is slightly better but still you are comparing snail to a turtoise here. The IB flight departs right before LA so it is extremely crowded, better climb another set of stairs to AA lounge where there was no flight till 9 something. 7'30" flight time was definitely not enough to enjoy all amenities. keep this leg's amenity bag shall you need it, SCL-IPC has a much inferior amenity bag.

The fact that you have to recheck-in if you have luggage at Santiago is rather standard, but LA has special check-in for Easter Island flight is very strange, anyone knows why? (it was at desk 42-44 today) The fact that LA does not even have a lounge or contract lounge in domestic terminal at their home hub is mindblowing, -2 stars on yelp. Starbucks at the end of the terminal has great wifi, the terminal wifi forces you to log in again every 15 min, and it WILL POST FOR YOU SHALL YOU CHOOSE FACEOOK LOG IN, -420 stars on yelp.

SCL-IPC is PACKED, every single seat occupied. J was mostly elderly white couples, and Y 40% Chinese group tourists (as an Asian I was even surprised). your host would greet you with flowers if they pick you up, standard practices, and pm me should you want to meet up~! (hope you are not doing direct turns here :P )
MEX T1 is a dump. Especially coming back for clearing immigration and customs is a nightmare. As for outbound, I used the AMEX lounge. Return i flew onward with AM, so got out of the dump that is T1.

Agree on SCL domestic side about lounge. Luckily I have PP and thus could access the one lounge. I think IPC is the only LA domestic flight with J is part of the issue. Even international to neighboring countries is on Y only aircraft.

In J can use the J checkin, but then must go to main security point because it's a domestic flight.

All-in-all IPC is a bit of oddball due to it being domestic but being far enough away for a widebody with J. Part of the reason for the less nice ammenities kit is this fact.

Last edited by flyerCO; Oct 15, 2017 at 1:33 am
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA, Alaska, Delta
I got back last week on this fare. Great getaway. Also padded the AA account with lots of goodies. No problems whatsoever. LATAM is a treat.

I agree MEX has much to be desired. It's tired and sprawling. Grand Elite Lounge made the wait tolerable. Saw the outline of the new CDMX Int'l on the climb out to the N/E - will be great - if a little further out when it's done in a few years.

Two hours was just enough time at SCL to clear Chilean C/I and security. Long queues - don't putz around if you have a similar amount of time. If you want Chilean pesos at SCL - get them in the int'l wing before you leave it. There are no financial services of any kind in the domestic wing where the IPC flight departs except one ATM that was O-O-O when I passed through. Contrary to what I had read, there are ATMs on EI. Banks as well, but I've heard that changing cash is a bit of a production.

EI tip: I would rent a car for the sightseeing. I got a tiny 4x4 (~Suzuki Sidekick) for about US$75 plus gas for the day - simple and painless at Insular agency. You can read up on the sights and do it at your own pace. Roads are decent and there's nothing on them except for horses and cattle.

To anybody who snagged this deal: have a great time. To the OP who alerted us to this deal: muchisimas gracias.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA Gold QR Platinum Hilton Gold FB Sinbad
I just came back from the trip. I took a break in Lima to do a side trip to IQT. MEX to LIM and LIM to SCL done by Latam Peru, thus old planes and Lima SCL leg did not even have proper Business Class (it resembled the european Biz class with the centre seat folded). Service in general was good but being a QR enthusiast, wouldnt say it was excellent, the food was mediocre.
Lima and SCL airports are just gouging set ups, No LAtam lounge in Lima, they give you a coupon for 20 dollars when you check in, and a snadwich and a cup of coffee was 20 dollars at the restaurant where one could use the coupon. Using PP I went to Sumaq lounge which was not that crash hot anyway but at least could sit down, use wifi and have a drink. LIM airport has very little space for sitting down and it all looks like shops stocked with unnecessary items which you are forced to browse (if you dont have lounge access).
Immigration at SCL not too tiresome, very quick, they enter your data in their computer and it is there for a year or so, so return visits would be even easier. LATAM certainly has a problem with the lounges and I couldnt believe the bare offerings at the Latam lounge in SCL, but did have champagne.
Domestic terminal is dreary and Presidents Clubs is a private lounge with PP entry which made the waiting bearable.
Both SCL to IPC and back were on 787-9, very comfortable. Hardly any Rapa Nui on the flight and as someone mentioned, the Biz class was full of older western couples, and older chinese couples. Service was pleasant (I kept on thinking how much more superior than USA based airlines), the food not exciting. Because 787-9, the flying time is shorter by 1/2 an hour or so. Arrival and departure from IPC is rather painless.
This was my third visit to IPC and since my last visit 3 years ago, the changes have been dramatic, lots more Chileans in the island, 2000 Rapa Nui and 7000 chileans, an uneasy coexistence and the anger of the Rapa Nui against their colonizers is palpable.
Rapa Nui is possibly the most expensive destination in Latin America. Dining out I found it to be more expensive than Paris and of course less decent. Two french restos (both fusion), very expensive; los of places for empanadas which fills your guts (at about 6 dollars each), filter coffee is sold for about 7 dollars, all in all expensive.
an Inexpensive way to spend the time is to stay with a Rapa Nui family who have Cabanas, which are a fraction of the price of the hotels, which are ridiculously priced.
As a Physician Anthropologist, I was able to observe the poor state of Medical care and the neglect of Rapa Nui by the Chilean Government and lack of respect of Chilean economic migrants (almost all of them are there because it is easier to make money, as a taxi driver for example) of the local culture. A strong rebellious mood in the island.
I plan to return soon, once again using the MEx LaTam route. The flight SCL to Mex was a pleasant 8 hours in a 787-9. Apart from LaTam Peru aircrafts all the other legs were on 787-9.
A highly recommended trip and an extremely good fare in Business Class.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I just completed this today, here's a few things I've learned:

- For those of you that booked a connection in LIM, it makes for quite the grueling outbound. The MEX-LIM flight is on LATAM's old 767 which is a bit tired and cramped. The layover in LIM is rough since it's the middle of the night, with no lounge and crazy overpriced food, and the LIM-SCL flight leaves at an ungodly hour, in an all-Y config.
- Connecting in SCL to the IPC flight took a lot longer than I anticipated, with a lengthy wait at immigration and then finding the domestic departures hall and clearing security. 2 hours was just enough time.
- 2 nights in Easter Island was perfect; I fear any longer and I would be bored. Renting a car or similar is pretty much a must unless you join a tour. As expected, prices were astronomical compared to the quality (food, lodging, etc)
- Coming back, there is no lounge in IPC. The IPC-SCL flight dumps you off past immigration but before customs.
- All in all, the 787 product is quite good. There is a difference in service on the short flights (MEX-LIM, SCL-IPC) vs the long flights (SCL-MEX) with the latter receiving better meals, amenity kits, and overall better service.
- Saw quite a few of the same people suspiciously flying from Mexico City to Easter Island

Eagerly waiting for my 45k AS miles to post
Edit: Had to submit for retroactive credit. Miles did not post automatically to AS.

Hope all of you enjoy!

Last edited by pushmyredbutton; Nov 2, 2017 at 1:26 pm Reason: miles posting to AS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.