Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Mileage Runs only good for status

Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

As I understand it if i book a flight I get $1 flyer miles per $ spent. To use toward future flights.
But on United for example, we have these added also to mileage membership plan with a flight booking:
Miles toward Premier Silver 25,000 PQM or 30 PQS (and $3,000)

Are PQM and PQS only good if either is achieved over threshold with annual ticked purchase of $3,000 to reach Silver status, or is there other advantage toward future flights? I see this quoted as a measure of how good a flight is as a mileage run -
25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm (cents/mile I assume). Is that again only valuable for attaining status along with necessary spending on fares?

In my case I have a long run scheduled to China from EWR but is very cheap flight. So I will accumulate PQM and 1 PQS for the flight. Added with a few other flights I may reach 25,000PQM's, but may never reach $3,000 in spending/year to gain upgraded status... Is that correct?? Or also other benefit of Mileage Runs?

TIA
Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:13 pm

if you do not achieve mileageplus status, the only # that carries over to future flights is the award miles, which are what can be redeemed for upgrades. What other flights do you have planned in the future, you might be closer to status than you realize
Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE, A3*G, AA-EP, UA*S,
Yes, that is the case for US programs -- the elite qualifying dollars requirement and that award miles are calculated based on fare.

If status on a specific US airline (such as upgrades) are not important to you, but other factors like lounge access and priority standby, then it might be easier for you to use a different FFP that awards status without the dollar minimum as well as award miles based on actual miles BIS.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I could end up taking another long flight before the end of the year. But with UA I only have the one flight giving>>>

MileagePlus Accrual Details

Date Flight From/To Award Miles PQM PQS PQD
8/29/2017 179 Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)-Hong Kong (HKG) 630 8060 1 126
8/30/2017 5786 Hong Kong (HKG)-Guangzhou, People's Republic of China (CAN) Ineligible to accrue mileage or Premier qualifying credit
9/19/2017 889 Beijing, People's Republic of China (PEK - Capital)-San Francisco, CA (SFO) 460 5914 1 92
9/19/2017 1651 San Francisco, CA (SFO)-Los Angeles, CA (LAX) 30 337 1 6
9/19/2017 557 Los Angeles, CA (LAX)-Vancouver, BC Canada (YVR) 85 1080 1 17 Throw-away flight to YVR
Award Miles PQM PQS PQD
MileagePlus Accrual totals: 1205 15391 4 241

So to get status I have to get PQD's to $3,000 plus?... no other way??
Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:47 pm

Yes, see if you were to credit this to another program, such as SQ, you would ean 15,391 EQM and 15,391 award miles. There is no PQD restriction for SQ, or most other star alliance programs for that matter. If you took another flight you would get Star Silver.

and SQ is a 12-month rolling period, not calendar year.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on US programs. But i see many peps taking UA mileage runs. Does that mean they already have made the PQD threshold but need PQM for next upgrade?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 2:49 pm

Many possibilities
1) yes as you said that's one possibility
2) some people have PQD waivers from spending X on the mileageplus credit card.
3) some people are taking UA mileage runs for other Star programs (like in my case I do mine for my Star Gold status on A3).

among other reasons.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Star Gold status on A3?? What is A3? I have 65,000 award miles on my AAdvant card, 35,000 on Jet Blue and 60,000 on BA card... But how to make use of the different programs to combine and or to gain status?? Everything I read doesn't address this issue or is over my head.

I'd like to use SA of other offshore airlines but very confusing!!

TIA
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:09 pm

A3 is Aegean Airlines, a Greek airline in Star Alliance, who once had a very easy program to earn status on but is no longer the case.

You cannot combine programs per se to gain status -- what matters is flown miles.

If you are interested in solely the Star Silver tier, know that it doesn't come with many benefits -- in fact nothing valuable I can think of that warrants the need to go on mileage runs for. United Premier Silver allows free E+ at selection but as you know needs PQD -- but if you have an address outside the US, there is also no PQD requirement.

SQ's program is the most straightforward if you fly United a lot and want Star Gold (50k) without PQD since you get 100% for all flights aside from Basic Economy domestic flights.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by swgsword
Yes, that is the case for US programs -- the elite qualifying dollars requirement and that award miles are calculated based on fare.

If status on a specific US airline (such as upgrades) are not important to you, but other factors like lounge access and priority standby, then it might be easier for you to use a different FFP that awards status without the dollar minimum as well as award miles based on actual miles BIS.
The easiest (and cheapest) way to take advantage of mileage runs is to bank mileage in a program that is a traditional mileage-based rather than the more common revenue-based program. When I did mileage runs as a UA elite years ago, I tried to look for and book flights in the 2-3 cpm range, but when the program went revenue-based, that meant the same amount of flying at the 2-3 cpm level would no longer qualify me for elite status. I switched over to AS which is a mileage-based program and I've been relatively happy ever since, especially if you include a strategic use of the BofA companion certificate since the companion receives 100% of the mileage flown.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

A3 is Aegean Airlines, a Greek airline in Star Alliance, who once had a very easy program to earn status on but is no longer the case.

You cannot combine programs per se to gain status -- what matters is flown miles.

If you are interested in solely the Star Silver tier, know that it doesn't come with many benefits -- in fact nothing valuable I can think of that warrants the need to go on mileage runs for. United Premier Silver allows free E+ at selection but as you know needs PQD -- but if you have an address outside the US, there is also no PQD requirement.

SQ's program is the most straightforward if you fly United a lot and want Star Gold (50k) without PQD since you get 100% for all flights aside from Basic Economy domestic flights.
OK, you are helping a lot! I have US address
So i see if i had opened a Krisflyer account and credited the UA flight to that FFP account, I would have received 15K toward the 25K PQM needed for Silver status or toward Gold?? But is status on one SA FFP helpful for all SA airlines status benefits? Or say just the KrisFlyer lounge if they have one at the airport.

More importantly---- increased Award miles earned... So 100% award miles on mileage flown on SA airlines (like UA) flights to SQ FFP? And then those Award Miles can be used to fly on any SA airline? So on my flight booked to China I would have gained 15,391 Award miles as well as the other status benefit?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Copied to wrong response... TKS

So i see if i had opened a Krisflyer account and credited the UA flight to that FFP account, I would have received 15K toward the 25K PQM needed for Silver status or toward Gold?? But is status on one SA FFP helpful for all SA airlines status benefits? Or say just the KrisFlyer lounge if they have one at the airport.

More importantly---- increased Award miles earned... So 100% award miles on mileage flown on SA airlines (like UA) flights to SQ FFP? And then those Award Miles can be used to fly on any SA airline? So on my flight booked to China I would have gained 15,391 Award miles as well as the other status benefit?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by CJPacker
So i see if i had opened a Krisflyer account and credited the UA flight to that FFP account, I would have received 15K toward the 25K PQM needed for Silver status or toward Gold??
For KrisFlyer, your 15K contributes towards the 25K. Once you hit 25K, you need a further 50K in the following rolling 12-month period for Gold. You may look at the SQ forum for mor einfo on that.

But is status on one SA FFP helpful for all SA airlines status benefits? Or say just the KrisFlyer lounge if they have one at the airport.
Yes one SA FFP is helpful for all Star Alliance owned lounges. With Star Gold on SQ you can visit United Clubs in the US and Lufthansa Senators Lounges in Frankfurt, etc. However, specific benefits such as preferred seat assignment, etc. vary by the airline you fly.

More importantly---- increased Award miles earned... So 100% award miles on mileage flown on SA airlines (like UA) flights to SQ FFP?
Not all fares credit 100%. Check the accural chart, but for United yes all fares except N (Basic Economy) credits 100%.

And then those Award Miles can be used to fly on any SA airline?
Yes.

So on my flight booked to China I would have gained 15,391 Award miles as well as the other status benefit?[
Yes. You can still change your FFP# on your United reservation by calling or tweeting.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

/QUOTE Yes. You can still change your FFP# on your United reservation by calling or tweeting.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much... One last guidance.
SO I have made a SQ KrisFlyer Account. Now to cancel the assignment to UA FFP do I log on to that UA FFP account and find a contact number to call or tweet to ?
Fair Class is G, so I think that is 100% awards.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:53 am

SO I have made a SQ KrisFlyer Account. Now to cancel the assignment to UA FFP do I log on to that UA FFP account and find a contact number to call or tweet to ?
Fair Class is G, so I think that is 100% awards.
You call United or direct message (twitter) United with your PNR (six-digit confirmation number) and ask them to change it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.