Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mileage Run in PE - Is this insane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN

Recently found a good deal for a PE MR later this year. The flights go LAX-NRT-SYD r/t.

On the way to SYD, I have a 2.5 hr layover in NRT. Then, in SYD, I have a ~2 hr layover before turning right back around for NRT. There is a 24-hour layover in NRT, so I should get some time to stretch my legs there at least.

Has anyone done three long-haul flights like this back to back? Is this a bad idea?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
I did Toronto-London-Helsinki-Singapore (8 hours in Singapore) - Helsinki - London - Toronto. I had about 2-3 hours in London and Helsinki, although on the trip back there was a delay in HEL-LHR, so I ended up being in LHR for ~6 hours. This was all in J.

I thought it was ok. I love movies and I like good lounges. Saw a lot of movies, drank a lot of alcohol, ate a lot of good food, and worked on some personal projects.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:18 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I'm doing two of these PHX-LAX-LHR-JNB-LHR-LAX-PHX in PE on BA later this year--both are almost immediate turns. What I've found best is buying up to J with miles or money on a couple of the legs if possible!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:19 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
I did ORD-PVG-ORD over the weekend, with under 2 hours ground time at PVG and it was in AA 772 Economy last year with no onboard entertainment (there was, but the 772 screen quality was so bad I just refuse to watch anything)

It's not that bad really.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
It's not too bad. Especially since you'll be in PE, so you get some more room. I would just add to try and stretch on the flights as best you can. I've found it to help. Otherwise, it's really not that bad. Worst thing that could happen (assuming you're in good health) is boredom. Bring whatever entertains you (movies, books, knitting, etc.). Have fun!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:03 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Basically, two nights (at least) sleep on the plane. Not fun at all especially in PE. Try to UPG. Which (Japanese?) airline is this?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I will be the voice of dissent here. I've done two back-to-backs in Y, both to Central America ( PTY and LIR ) respectively. After the first I said 'never again'... and then of course a good deal cropped up and I rationalized 'well it wasn't that bad.' So I went again, and really... never again.

Yours are way longer... personally, I wouldn't do that, even in business, let alone PE. Now take a day or two at the destination... and absolutely I'd go.

I'm a big fan of the mini-trip, but having that break after a couple LH or ULH flights is really key to rest and recharge. Much of it is just the dry, noisy airplane environment, the lack of proper sleep, etc. It takes it's toll on you.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:05 am
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
I just did a EWR-NRT-KUL run and was in PE in the first leg (UA) and economy in the second (ANA). I made a trip out of it and stayed for two days. Although the flying wasn't terrible can't say I could handle an immediate turn around. You guys are braver than me on these long hauls.

I've done EWR-SFO and EWR-FLL for immediate turnarounds but can't say I can handle more than that.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: Plat AA; UA Gold; Virtuoso Advisor; Marriott Stars; Hyatt Privr; Fairmont
Originally Posted by dordal
I will be the voice of dissent here. I've done two back-to-backs in Y, both to Central America ( PTY and LIR ) respectively. After the first I said 'never again'... and then of course a good deal cropped up and I rationalized 'well it wasn't that bad.' So I went again, and really... never again.

Yours are way longer... personally, I wouldn't do that, even in business, let alone PE. Now take a day or two at the destination... and absolutely I'd go.

I'm a big fan of the mini-trip, but having that break after a couple LH or ULH flights is really key to rest and recharge. Much of it is just the dry, noisy airplane environment, the lack of proper sleep, etc. It takes it's toll on you.
Totally agree! I have to keep reminding myself that no deal is worth the torture and spa price afterwards really nullifies it anyway
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
I'm doing PDX>LAX>HKG>AKL>HKG>LAX>PDX all in PE in August w/ no more than 3hrs in HKG or LAX and just over 2 in AKL. I may very well be insane!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by dordal
That's what I do. Find a good deal, then spend at least 1-2 nights there, maybe even 3.

I did a few runs to MUC and FRA some time ago with just 1 night there. Sure it is doable, but as you say, it takes its toll on you. I remember doing back to back weekends of PHX-MUC, and after it was all done I was just happy to sleep in my own bed.

I did a 4-night trip to PEK last Nov and that was about perfect. Plenty of time to do some actual sightseeing...along with a nice hike along the Great Wall. It would be a shame to go all that way and not even leave the airport.

For this Sep I found a decent PE deal on BA to DEL.
I'll be there 5 nights. That's probably borderline full vacation rather than mileage run.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:43 pm

LOL... are you guys married ? have kid? i love to do these trip but THE wife say no
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by hondaman82
LOL... are you guys married ? have kid? i love to do these trip but THE wife say no
Wife was never an issue for me. Mostly because the benefits accrued through status went mainly to her (award trips in C... this was when you got pretty good redeemable miles from travel even in Y, especially if there was a promo). Mainly it was time away from work. On the other hand, I got quite a bit of work done on some of those flights, since I was on my own without distractions. I'm not certain if airborne wifi is a good thing or bad sometimes...

It's just a bit silly though, figuring out how many miles you can cram into a 54 hour period. I've done SFO-SIN the long way, SFO-MNL (again, the long way, and that time into the middle of a tropical storm) and one other lengthy trip that I don't recall the specifics of.

But eventually you graduate from that sort of thing and turn vacations into MRs. Paid for ticket for yourself, typically in Y, while the wife sits up front in an award C seat.

For us old-timers, two things seem funny in this thread-

#1 : The idea that flying PE is "roughing it" (when we traveled in regular old "Y")

#2 : The idea that UA E+ would be considered a PE product.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:25 am

Everything is a weighted decision. How bad do you need/want the miles, status, etc. How resilient is your body/immune system to deal with the airport and plane experience, messed up rhythms. It's highly individualized. I second the mini-trip idea if it makes sense for your situation.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I recently did a similar run with a 9 hour total layover. bring comfortable clothing, get up and move around as much as possible, and drink tons of liquids. I ended up having quite a bit of swelling around my ankles because i was too comfortable and didn't get up enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.