Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

First ever mileage run...any advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Embarking on my first ever mileage run...DEN>NRT>GUM>MNL>NRT>DEN as I look to lock in UA Plat for next year..

Am booked E+ but just got upgraded to business from NRT>GUM..hoping the same happens on my GUM>MNL leg. MNL>NRT is with ANA so doubt there will be any upgrades there?

Any advice? Have about a 5 hour layover in NRT and another 5 hour layover in GUM. Have Star Alliance Gold and Priority Lounge Access. Am both worried and excited about this very LONG trip..
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Pack some energy bars or other compact snacks - you never know when hunger will strike. Personally I like Clif bars because the layer of heavy oats can absorb a lot of bad airplane food

Good luck!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:47 pm

First piece of advice is to read the rules:
Welcome to the Mileage Run Forum - Important information how the MR forums work
and post in the correct forum.

A moderator has been notified.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:26 pm

How much did you pay and what will you earn

(if you don't mind sharing)
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Take a shower prior to departure (either at home or at DEN if the lounge has showers). Be sure to catch a shower at the lounge(s) at NRT and/or GUM as well. It makes a huge difference with how you'll feel. Don't check any bags, just a carry-on is fine.

I like to have the following items with me on a MR:
  • Tablet filled with videos/music + good headphones
  • Battery pack for recharging
  • International Multi Plug Adapter (all-in-one style)
  • Several pairs of clean wool socks
  • Comfortable clothing (usually merino shirts and wrinkle-free pants)
trooper and sillielyd like this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ponickka
How much did you pay and what will you earn

(if you don't mind sharing)
Paid 629, earning 16,624 PQM, 5 PQS, 520 PQD

Not sure if that's good or not.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swingaling
Take a shower prior to departure (either at home or at DEN if the lounge has showers). Be sure to catch a shower at the lounge(s) at NRT and/or GUM as well. It makes a huge difference with how you'll feel. Don't check any bags, just a carry-on is fine.

Thanks! I have all but the multi plug adapter and at this point its a little late for me to get one...hope they have US plugs in the ANA lounge...
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam

Totally new to mileage run so I am just absorbing information. Did you book this via multi-city on United.com or elsewhere?

Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ponickka
Totally new to mileage run so I am just absorbing information. Did you book this via multi-city on United.com or elsewhere?

Thanks
Yep United.com. Used google flights as per the suggestions of others on here. It's my first mileage run so I am quite new as well.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Take a shower prior to departure (either at home or at DEN if the lounge has showers). Be sure to catch a shower at the lounge(s) at NRT and/or GUM as well.
NRT has in both UA and NH, I tend to go to NH as they have a noodle bar. I also carry body wipes, in case showers are full (as often the case for UA domestic clubs) or there's no showers at all. I don't think DEN or GUM have showers.

I wear a t-shirt under a button-down shirt, it's easy to carry extra t-shirts to change into.

If you have the British/Hong Kong style adapter, it's good to carry it on long flights. Sometimes the sockets on the plane are worn/loose, and these prongs are always very sturdy.

I also try to take an extra multivitamin in the afternoon, in addition to the one in the morning. The magnesium seems to help prevent muscle cramps/fatigue, in my experience.
sillielyd likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist

+1 to these suggestions. Just completed my first MR recently (SFO-LHR-JNB-LHR-SFO) and downloaded a bunch of Netflix content for offline use which really helped on the return as I exhausted all the IFE content I found interesting on the outbound.

In addition to swingaling's suggestions:
  • Keep eat/sleep schedule in sync with your home timezone. I went to work the day after returning and felt fine.
  • Bring several pairs of anything that comes in close contact with your body (e.g. underwear, shirts, etc.)
  • Drown yourself in water. Keeps you hydrated and the extra trips to the lav force you to get up and move around
sillielyd likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. For anyone transiting in Denver with priority pass the timber lodge steak house is a very good offerings g. You basically eat for free and the food quality is better than most clubs.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Recommend using NH lounge at NRT as well. Good food with showers there.

Wear comfortable clothing (I usually wear sweats and a sweater).
Stay hydrated.
Travel pillow if it helps you sleep.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ZBigFam

that’s a good price.

Second the advice on the NRT United Club showers. With 5 hours at NRT you have just enough time to get the train into Narita and take a look around there for 30-60 mins. Also recommend this because there are some good restaurants and shops pre-security at NRT

Probably the same at GUM, although getting around is more difficult / expensive (you’ll have to use taxis).
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Also, keep a really close eye on possible same day changes both through the United app, and through availability in your fare class on the United website (enable expert mode).

this will enable you to either grab some more PQMs, or build on a layover somewhere en route.

I did a very similar MR to yours in January, and I was able to build in a layover in Osaka by calling United and changing my flight from GUM. It was awesome

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.