Search

Transit/immigration at YVR?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:49 pm
mr8
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Question Transit/immigration at YVR for US origin and destination

Thinking of doing SFO-YVR-LAX on UA metal for some extra miles.

Would I need to collect checked baggage and go through candaian immigration/customs/security or could I remain in the transit/US departures area?

Did some googling around, but most info is for NON-US/CA > CA >US or the other way around.
So wondering if it's any different for US> CA > US..?

Time in YVR would be about 1 hour.
US citizen flying in UA P with Global Entry/Nexus.

Possible..?

Last edited by mr8; Apr 25, 2017 at 10:03 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Departure tax leaving YVR

Not answering your question . . .
but I also noticed the relatively inexpensive fare to YVR (and YYJ) from the southwest and am going there tomorrow.
The fare was only about $50 one way but . . . there's a large departure tax/fee which doubles the price.
I'm staying longer than you so maybe the tax/fee doesn't kick in on a turnaround?
I noticed that some search engines included this in the fare and others did not, where it only shows up at the end closer to booking. just a fyi
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:11 am
mr8
Original Poster

I was looking on united.com, so I think it includes all the taxes. Maybe I inadvertently did some kind of fuel dump since it's a multi-city ticket...?

I'm really tempted to risk it since it would be more expensive (per mile) to take a direct flight in economy than do the quick stopover in YVR with business/first and the 2x the PQMs which brings the average cost down to about $0.077/mile.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:03 pm

This guide lets you select connect from US departing to US at YVR to get a walkthrough:

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/navi...ssenger-guides
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:05 am
mr8
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bibliovore
This guide lets you select connect from US departing to US at YVR to get a walkthrough:

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/navi...ssenger-guides
Thanks for the link!!

If you are making a USA to USA connection, you MUST pick up your bags and clear Customs
OMG, what a pain! Looks like you have to clear candaian customs and immigration, and exit landside once..

I think it might be easier and faster to do an international city > YVR > US since you only have to clear US immigration and can stay airside the whole time.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by mr8
Thanks for the link!!

If you are making a USA to USA connection, you MUST pick up your bags and clear Customs
OMG, what a pain! Looks like you have to clear candaian customs and immigration, and exit landside once..

I think it might be easier and faster to do an international city > YVR > US since you only have to clear US immigration and can stay airside the whole time.
Who the hell sold you a USA to USA via Canada ticket? That's cabotage. If you're doing two separate tickets, that's your prerogative, but you must clear Canadian customs and immigration, even without bags.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by keitherson
Who the hell sold you a USA to USA via Canada ticket? That's cabotage. If you're doing two separate tickets, that's your prerogative, but you must clear Canadian customs and immigration, even without bags.
I once did a YVR segment run and the Border Police had a tough time believing me when I told them why I was entering and exiting canada on a connection and gave me a hard time. YMMV.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:34 pm

It looks like OP wants to do a quick turnaround in YVR (ie SFO-YVR-LAX). I don't have experience on this, but you may have to clear Canadian immigration and exit. You then go back and enter US preclearance, if it's open.

Last edited by zoqfotpik; Apr 27, 2017 at 1:40 pm
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
You will have to clear Canadian customs and step out landside before going back thru US pre-clearance and security. No other way around it. Just the nature of the beast when going between US and Canada.

You will probably be ok with Nexus but less than an hour is pushing your luck.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UA Gold
Yup, I flew PDX-SEA-YVR-JFK-MXP on Delta two years ago. It was all on one ticket and I had to clear in Vancouver and go through security again.

"A lot of paperwork, but cheaper" -- The immigration guys seemed OK with that response.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I foolishly did a MR yesterday SFO-YVR-SFO on separate tickets with 60 minutes in between (same plane). Even with being sent to secondary at YVR, I still made it.

And yes, for USA-CAN-USA you need to fully clear Canadian Immigration/Customs, exit landside, then reclear security and USA Immigration before heading back to your gate.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: Starbucks and MVP Gold
YVR doesn't have a sterile transit, so all foreign inbounds need to clear arrival customs.

NEXUS folks should be fine, I rarely see too many people go through.

YVR, along with YYC, YYZ, YOW, and YUL have an automated customs arrival system, for all nationalities. I went through YVR earlier this year when they started and it was a mess, though hopefully its sorted out now.

If you explain that you're doing a travel hackish maneuver, it helps to just explain it and have them give up trying to follow your logic. I flew into YVR from Mexico, and continued onwards to the US, for example, because it was cheaper even if on two separate itineraries.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by Kuchingite
YVR doesn't have a sterile transit, so all foreign inbounds need to clear arrival customs..
The above is not accurate information. If you are arriving from an international flight connecting to an USA flight, then you bypass Canadian Immigration and proceed to US pre-clearance.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by davistev
The above is not accurate information. If you are arriving from an international flight connecting to an USA flight, then you bypass Canadian Immigration and proceed to US pre-clearance.
Any idea about the other direction? I'm flying PDX to YVR then YVR to HKG on separate PNR's. I should have about 3.5 hours which I think is enough if I do have to immigrate but would sure be nice to pop by the transit desk and skip Canadian customs/immigration...
Old May 12, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
IIRC, I had only to go from one gate to another following the transit signs. No immigration to CA necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.