Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Ethiopian : SIN-YYZ $945 RT (2.1 CPM on A3)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Ethiopian : SIN-YYZ $945 RT (2.1 CPM on A3)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Global321
I don't think that is entirely accurate. While the rate is set by the bank, I think currency fluctuations is the correct answer. That would explain how pushmyredbutton got more back. Ethiopian issued a refund vs. canceling the charge.

I am amazed that people think that wanting all our money back is somehow wrong. I guess those criticizing us would not reach down and pick up $4 if they dropped it on the ground. Y'all are richer than me.
Once a charge is settled (usually within 24 hours), it cannot be voided (in your dictionary cancelled) but only refunded. FX rates have nothing to do with the OTA/airline.

I'm not amazed you find this amazing.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
I don't think that is entirely accurate. While the rate is set by the bank, I think currency fluctuations is the correct answer. That would explain how pushmyredbutton got more back. Ethiopian issued a refund vs. canceling the charge.

I am amazed that people think that wanting all our money back is somehow wrong. I guess those criticizing us would not reach down and pick up $4 if they dropped it on the ground. Y'all are richer than me.
I lost about $20 CAD on my booking from the currency conversion myself. I just chalk it up as the risk of booking one of these fares.

I am surprised that your CC provider is even willing to entertain your chargeback request. It should've taken the agent 30 sec to realize it was a currency conversion issue.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko
Once a charge is settled (usually within 24 hours), it cannot be voided (in your dictionary cancelled) but only refunded. FX rates have nothing to do with the OTA/airline.

I'm not amazed you find this amazing.
Wrong. It is called a chargeback. It is part of the Fair Credit Billing Act.

I'm not amazed you were not aware.

Originally Posted by nli007
...I am surprised that your CC provider is even willing to entertain your chargeback request. It should've taken the agent 30 sec to realize it was a currency conversion issue.
Why? The service (flight) was not received. The merchant (Ethiopian) never provided the service. Why would the consumer be responsible for any charge when the merchant fails to deliver? As for willing to "entertain it", the bank is required to follow the process. It is the law in the USA. (Fair Credit Billing Act.) AFAIK there is no exception for currency fluctuations.

If you are happy giving free money to your bank or Ethiopian, it is your choice.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

I'm not amazed you were not aware.

Why? The service (flight) was not received. The merchant (Ethiopian) never provided the service. Why would the consumer be responsible for any charge when the merchant fails to deliver? As for willing to "entertain it", the bank is required to follow the process. It is the law in the USA. (Fair Credit Billing Act.) AFAIK there is no exception for currency fluctuations.

If you are happy giving free money to your bank or Ethiopian, it is your choice.
Feel free to take Ethiopian Airlines to small claims court

Flyertalk amazes me daily with new and new lows.
+1
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
Feel free to take Ethiopian Airlines to small claims court
CC company will take care of it.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:30 am

You have absolutely no idea what are you talking about.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:57 am

Potential new information

With the information that other travellers have been denied entry to the flight in Bangkok I got in touch with the Oslo office of Ethiopian Airlines today, with the intention of canceling my flight from BKK- YYZ in August.

Talking to their representative in person I was informed that they knew about the situation. And that while the previous error fare from Oslo never had an issue about travellers being denied flying on a Cloud 9/buisniss/ D fare status, the flights booked from Singapore/Bangkok to Vancouver had.

According to the representative the airline had now decided to accept the tickets and when he checked in his system my flight had an OK status.

To be sure he asked for the relevant information and would confirm the status with bookings centrally, I presume in Addis Abbeba and get back to me by e-mail.

I wil update the information here as soon as I hear back from Ethiopian Airlines in Oslo.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:26 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
+1, a remarkably small minded view of global currency payment systems.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by ccurrahee

According to the representative the airline had now decided to accept the tickets and when he checked in his system my flight had an OK status.

To be sure he asked for the relevant information and would confirm the status with bookings centrally, I presume in Addis Abbeba and get back to me by e-mail.

I wil update the information here as soon as I hear back from Ethiopian Airlines in Oslo.
Hoping for the best.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by markis10
+1, a remarkably small minded view of global currency payment systems.
You two are exceedingly negative people. And in this case, you are both wrong. Feel free to keep agreeing with each other.

Just be sure about what I was saying, I reached out to Chase... Chase said, assuming Ethiopian confirms they canceled the ticket, would not honor the ticket or does not respond, I will get all my money back. The upshot was in the case of disputed transactions, there is no charge to the consumer regardless of the currency used. For consumers and consumer rights, the transaction happened in the USA. (And yes, in layman's terms, Chase will void the transaction and recoup exactly what it paid Ethiopian.)

And if you take a step back and think about it logically, of course, this is how a bank has to handle all disputed international transactions.

For everyone else, ignore the haters and decide what is best for you. If you want all your money back, dispute the transaction.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan

Thanks - are you referring here that your BKK-YYZ ticket is OK for now, or was that for OSL flight only?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
Thanks - are you referring here that your BKK-YYZ ticket is OK for now, or was that for OSL flight only?
I have been told by a representative that the BKK-YYZ is okay. And I am waiting for email confirmation as he ( and I) wanted confirmation from the central ticketing office in Addis. So as soon as I get an e-mail back I will post here, either way.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:30 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Feel free to keep agreeing with each other.
LOL! Thanks to your posts that's easy to do!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ KF Elite Gold, QR Gold, IB Plata, Hilton Honors Gold
Thumbs up

With the information that other travellers have been denied entry to the flight in Bangkok I got in touch with the Oslo office of Ethiopian Airlines today, with the intention of canceling my flight from BKK- YYZ in August.

Talking to their representative in person I was informed that they knew about the situation. And that while the previous error fare from Oslo never had an issue about travellers being denied flying on a Cloud 9/buisniss/ D fare status, the flights booked from Singapore/Bangkok to Vancouver had.

That's an interesting development. Thank you for keeping us updated.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
TY for the update my ticket never cancelled and I never got the email. Will be attempt it this month

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.