Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556

[PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556

Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by aktchi
I am in a similar situation of wanting one flight in Oct 2018. No guarantees, obviously, and public threads like this don't help, but we can be modestly optimistic.
The fare will die exactly on the day when this thread has 1000 post.
Genesis321 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
I am in a similar situation of wanting one flight in Oct 2018. No guarantees, obviously, and public threads like this don't help, but we can be modestly optimistic.
i have booked this fare but will change the final LHR CAI sector when my dates come into range. The change fees are low and the fare offers almost complete flexibility.

If if you are going to take the trip my advice is book now change later. The minimal fees for this will outweigh the fare difference is the fare is pulled.

My view is that the value of them£ is more likely to fall than the fare being pulled and that is more likely to impact the cost.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by binman
i have booked this fare but will change the final LHR CAI sector when my dates come into range. The change fees are low and the fare offers almost complete flexibility.

If if you are going to take the trip my advice is book now change later. The minimal fees for this will outweigh the fare difference is the fare is pulled.

My view is that the value of them£ is more likely to fall than the fare being pulled and that is more likely to impact the cost.
But if the fare is pulled, any reprice will be done on the new fare, which could be higher? You cannot know what the fare difference will be with any replacement fare. Nothing is gained other than getting the fare now but at dates you don't want with the risk of the fare being pulled thus any changes costing more.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jase76
But if the fare is pulled, any reprice will be done on the new fare, which could be higher? You cannot know what the fare difference will be with any replacement fare. Nothing is gained other than getting the fare now but at dates you don't want with the risk of the fare being pulled thus any changes costing more.
I believe the fare rules state that the original fare at time of booking applies for changes, as long as the same class is booked.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
I believe the fare rules state that the original fare at time of booking applies for changes, as long as the same class is booked.
I looked up the fare rules, it seems to be a mix, so changing the first fare component could be higher but subsequent fare components based on the fare purchased. So @binman was correct.

--- REPRICING CONDITIONS ---
A. BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY WHEN THE FIRST
FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED THE ITINERARY MUST BE
RE-PRICED USING CURRENT FARES IN EFFECT ON THE
DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED.
B. BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY WHEN CHANGES ARE
TO BOOKING CODE ONLY IN THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT
AND RESULT IN A HIGHER FARE THE ITINERARY MUST BE
RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON THE
PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE OR USING CURRENT FARES IN
EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED -
WHICHEVER IS LOWER.
C. BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY WHEN THERE ARE NO
CHANGES TO THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT BUT OTHER
FARE COMPONENTS ARE CHANGED THE ITINERARY MUST BE
RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON THE
PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE OR USING CURRENT FARES IN
EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED-
WHICHEVER IS LOWER.
D. AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY THE ITINERARY MUST
BE RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON
THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
3 night stopover in HNL and a long stop at LAX so not ideal but pretty good nonetheless.
if you're doing this, why not use the BA Code for the LAX-HNL-LAX segments?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
If you have purchased domestic Egypt airline tickets (I am thinking CAI-LXR-CAI but could be others in future), is it better to do it while still abroad, or buy them there? Is there a reliable Egyptian OTA?
I purchased my CAI-LXR-CAI on EgyptAir.com. They weren't that expensive...
aktchi likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewT84
Can only use that if you are connecting to BA metal at LAX.

As an aside, this does not require three nights in Hawaii. You can do back to back if you so desire. It just needs to be three nights after you left CAI.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA ExecPlat, TK Elite
I can confirm this fare is still alive.
Was able to price CAI-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL vice versa for USD 1,647.
This nets 1,120 BA Tier Points, and 50,000+ avios for gold members.

The first step is to find I-class inventory on the CAI-LHR-JFK vice versa marries segments. Then as well on the corresponding AA domestic flights. All must have I inventory.

Then using ITA multi city tool, give in each segment separately, except the first and last, which are married segments, so should be entered as CAI-JFK and JFK-CAI.

Once you have been able to price the itinerary you want on ITA (for example some people might opt for the direct LHR-LAX on the more comfortable AA 77W or BA A380), simply call BA and spoon feed the agent each segment with relevant flight numbers and I class inventory.

I was able to create the below itinerary on the phone in 15mins, and received an e-ticket confirmation a few minutes after. Note: the agent will initially quote the price in GBP, but you may request to pay in a different currency.

Cheers guys, and lets hope this fare sticks around, as it certainly is the fastest, most comfortable and cheapest way to re-qualify for BA gold/Oneworld Emerald status every year.

Happy fare hunting!
aktchi likes this.

Last edited by LX64A332; Oct 11, 2017 at 12:41 pm Reason: edit pic.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:17 pm

To build further on the post above by @LX64A332, you can stretch the TP haul further if you wish:

CAI-LHR//HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR-HEL//LHR-CAI

1,280 TPs, but additional positioning flights will be needed to and from HEL.

Just a quick correction to the above: the CAI-LHR-XXX are not married segments - you do not necessarily need a connecting service after your CAI-LHR or before you LHR-CAI. You can do stopovers, but if the 'stopover' is in the UK, you will pay the extortionate UK APD. The routing above (including the HEL sectors) removes the UK APD.

Use the 'free' stopovers on this fare to your advantage.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AndrewT84
i found that using the codeshare increased the fare slightly. In my case LAX JFK went up £25 which for 4 was enough for me to stick with AA.

I also found that limiting US domestic services also resulted in odd timings and night stops. For example I could only get the 9pm service from JFK to LAX forcing another night in a hotel. Leaving as AA allowed most services to be used. Similarly I could only find late evening departures from PHL to DFW.

i would advise not limiting flights to BA unless you need 4 BA sectors. Good luck
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:14 pm

i found that using the codeshare increased the fare slightly. In my case LAX JFK went up £25 which for 4 was enough for me to stick with AA.

I also found that limiting US domestic services also resulted in odd timings and night stops. For example I could only get the 9pm service from JFK to LAX forcing another night in a hotel. Leaving as AA allowed most services to be used. Similarly I could only find late evening departures from PHL to DFW.

i would advise not limiting flights to BA unless you need 4 BA sectors. Good luck
I found this as well. Although BA codeshares may be worth it for additional Avios for some people.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
I paid £1300 for mine with a 6 hour transit time in Heathrow between my LAX-LHR and LHR-CAI (both on the outbound).

The price difference to have a stopover in Heathrow for a few months was £400+ based on 31AUG or 7SEP...

Do you think the price is less if I picked different dates?

I was also told the fare was non-changable over the phone...
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Just a little note with regard to this fare: I have one ticket CAI-HNL and upgraded a sector to F with avios. However, I wanted to change the date and BA hit me with almost $135 in fees!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: BA GGL
It's also quite easy to upgrade the LHR-CAI BA legs - which many will need to add to nest this run together - from Premium Economy to Club World for 11,250 Avios and £14.30 each way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.