Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556

[PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556

Old Sep 29, 17, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
Um...maybe because this fare is CAI-HNL, not CAI-LAX...?
I didn't think the HNL sector was compulsory as saw CAI-LAX for <1.2k last week. Thanks anyway.

Will keep looking!
Old Sep 29, 17, 5:02 am

Programs: One World, Virgin
Is it possible to help another poor lost frustrated soul? All my dates work CAI-LHR, and then LHR-Cairo Im having trouble with the USA segments. For some reason it will only let me pass JFK and nothing more than one night - not allowing stopover. PM me please if you dont mind helping someone else.
Old Sep 29, 17, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by crthomson View Post
I didn't think the HNL sector was compulsory as saw CAI-LAX for <1.2k last week. Thanks anyway.

Will keep looking!
In a CAI-HNL fare, getting to HNL is compulsory
Old Sep 29, 17, 10:45 am

Edit - meant to be reply to message

Last edited by mrwzee; Sep 29, 17 at 10:48 am Reason: meant to be reply to message
Old Sep 29, 17, 10:51 am

PM not working - Thanks for your advice. What you have said is perfect!

Um...maybe because this fare is CAI-HNL, not CAI-LAX...?
Definitely still there. I think it is user error.
Old Sep 29, 17, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crthomson View Post
I didn't think the HNL sector was compulsory
I see your thinking, but alas ...

Code:
FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED
Old Sep 29, 17, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by mrwzee View Post
PM not working - Thanks for your advice. What you have said is perfect!
Old Sep 29, 17, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold HH Diamond
Any intel on where best to exchange foreign currency for E on arrival at CAI? Those of us in the UK are not able to acquire E before travelling, and maybe there are other countries who are subject to similar restrictions.

Much appreciated....
Old Sep 29, 17, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by G-ARVE View Post
Any intel on where best to exchange foreign currency for E on arrival at CAI? Those of us in the UK are not able to acquire E before travelling, and maybe there are other countries who are subject to similar restrictions.

Much appreciated....
No need to buy EGP before you fly. After arrival in CAI you will need to buy your visa sticker; these are sold by banks in the arrival area (in either US$ or - so have enough handy) and you can change enough for EGP to tide you by for the first day. Once at the hotel, you can change a larger amount either there or at a local bank at better rates.
aktchi likes this.
Old Sep 29, 17, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by G-ARVE View Post

Much appreciated....
There are a number of ATMs in the baggage hall. I always use them on my journeys through Cairo.
mrow and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 29, 17, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM SM aka dirt; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by cgtechuk View Post
@rossmacd example above nets 53332 for 1200 TP's on BA if you used a GUF on the BA legs that could be increased by another 180 TP's to 1380 which is less than 1 / TP
Note: this one is only 1,100 TPs.

The route I put above could only be GUF'd on the LHR-LAS sector, as the return TATL is operated by AA (not GUF'able), therefore only only additional 70 TPs possible (140 --> 210 for the LHR-LAS), making a total of 1,170 TPs. I'm not sure I would waste a GUF on only a single sector, in my opinion, but others may wish to do so.

You could, of course, take a BA operated service back to LHR that could be GUF'd, giving an additional 70 TPs on top, but a different routing would have to be used.
Two problems with your thinking:
  1. You probably are thinking of doing GUF via a TA. Unfortunetly, as soon as you have another carrier in the ticket, GUFs cannot be applied anyway. Some may have gotten lucky but the rules say no dice.
  2. The TA instructions for GUF are designed so that you are supposed to get TPs and Avios for what you paid, not what you fly.
So no, you should not be able to get more TPs by using a GUF. I tried to use a TA to apply a GUF without success because of rule 1.
Old Sep 29, 17, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM SM aka dirt; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ gold, TK Elite
Deleted Dupe.

Last edited by DeltaFlyingProf; Sep 29, 17 at 3:02 pm Reason: Computer submitted twice the same post.
Old Sep 29, 17, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
Two problems with your thinking:
  1. You probably are thinking of doing GUF via a TA. Unfortunetly, as soon as you have another carrier in the ticket, GUFs cannot be applied anyway. Some may have gotten lucky but the rules say no dice.
  2. The TA instructions for GUF are designed so that you are supposed to get TPs and Avios for what you paid, not what you fly.
So no, you should not be able to get more TPs by using a GUF. I tried to use a TA to apply a GUF without success because of rule 1.
You need a better TA
godsavethepoints and cgtechuk like this.
Old Sep 29, 17, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL
You need a better TA
You're not meant to get more TP for GUF, it's just luck of the system.

[rule 1 isn't a rule though, agree, that's just incorrect - combined carriers will work]

Last edited by mmxbreaks; Sep 29, 17 at 4:15 pm
Old Sep 29, 17, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks View Post
You're not meant to get more TP for GUF, it's just luck of the system.

[rule 1 isn't a rule though, agree, that's just incorrect - combined carriers will work]
From the mouth of horse:
Vouchers can be used on British Airways and franchise operated flights only and not on bookings with other carriers.
As I said, there have been report of people having it done, but I could not get it done. When my TA called BA they specifically said it was not possible because of the AA flights.
You need a better TA
Please PM me the TA you are using. Thanks.

Search this Thread