Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by G-ARVE
Hmm...maybe scratch that request. Have now read the Skytrax CAI airport reviews which have absolutely and universally panned the place. So the prospect of doing a wee-hours turnaround there after 4 days of longhauls -and with the final leg back to LHR by MS in Y has well and truly lost its attraction. I could do with the TPs and do need the BA leg to make the 4 eligible flights but on reflection perhaps not that badly.

Is CAI really that bad??
IIRC your turn around time is about 9 hrs? This would be too long a time in most airports, with very few exceptions. Hotels in Cairo are very reasonable. For your schedule I would recommend Le Meridien which is right at the airport. (However, for real rest, you should stay a day + night, in which case you can go to a city hotel, even cheaper.)
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

Is CAI really that bad??
In comparison to what? In my recent experience, both T2 and T3 at CAI were definitely nicer than T3 at LHR, or T7 at JFK. The food at the VIP lounge in T2 definitely wasn't CX LHR T3 quality, but it was as nice as anything I've had recently at a BA Gallery Lounge.

The older terminals at CAI were pretty dreadful, and maybe the reviews you read focused on them.

The rooms at the nearby LeMeredian (walking bridge from T3) are comfortable, spacious, and if you have any SPG points, typically a very good bargain.

Last edited by jbalmuth; Sep 27, 2017 at 4:09 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Is CAI really that bad??
If you enjoy touts everywhere (porters, taxi drivers, line expeditors), waiting in lines where people try to cut in front of you (to get into the airport, first security check, check-in, passport control, second security check, if you go to the lounge another security check upon return to the main terminal), getting pat downs at all the security checks even though they have metal detectors, a terrible crowded lounge with limited food and no alcohol, and having your documents checked a dozen times then it's not that bad.

That said, once you know what you are getting into and can expect/plan accordingly, it can be worth it for some of the low fares that pop up there. By the time I get on the plane though I am ready for a drink.

Last edited by SNA_Flyer; Sep 27, 2017 at 6:04 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Originally Posted by Airprox
Given that you already have plans to use this fare again for another trip and it allows stopovers, you should have just started your next one when you arrive in CAI. Saves needing positioning flights every time, you just start the next one and have a stopover in LON. You have to pay UK APD of £150 though, but it's worth it to save having to go to CAI at the start of the next trip. You can avoid this by complicated routings via DUB if you wish.
You are absolutely right I could have had just one positioning return booking to get to CAI to start trip 1 and then to return from CAI after ending trip 2 (using the last leg of trip 1 to position for trip 2) I was perhaps too keen to get the first one sewn up and booked .

It was only afterwards when I became better at playing around with ITA and found I was able to get availability for a second trip all within the space of a week spanning 2 weekends I decided to book it the next tier point year. Think my AZ positioning booking is really inflexible to change it now but will see, otherwise will just have to grin and bear!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
If you enjoy touts everywhere (porters, taxi drivers, line expeditors), waiting in lines where people try to cut in front of you (to get into the airport, first security check, check-in, passport control, second security check, if you go to the lounge another security check upon return to the main terminal), getting pat downs at all the security checks even though they have metal detectors, a terrible crowded lounge with limited food and no alcohol, and having your documents checked a dozen times then it's not that bad.

That said, once you know what you are getting into and can expect/plan accordingly, it can be worth it for some of the low fares that pop up there. By the time I get on the plane though I am ready for a drink.
And you're gonna need that drink to get your mind off what may have been loaded in the cargo, hopefully nothing bad...fingers crossed...I know I will be praying on the way out...

For hotels I think the Renaissance may also be a good choice, shuttle, close to the airport, lounge, for only 10k points/night...

Last edited by nk15; Sep 27, 2017 at 10:33 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
Why is 8/10 the last date? Just curious. The BA fare IRCME, upon which the itinerary is based, does not have any such expiration. (However, this is from a quick scan at EF; I haven't tried to ticket anything with such dates.)
I class on the CAI-LHR-CAI sectors is not available everyday. BA seems to be managing I class availability for both directions, but I'm not smart enough to work out the pattern.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:10 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Hmm...maybe scratch that request. Have now read the Skytrax CAI airport reviews which have absolutely and universally panned the place. So the prospect of doing a wee-hours turnaround there after 4 days of longhauls -and with the final leg back to LHR by MS in Y has well and truly lost its attraction. I could do with the TPs and do need the BA leg to make the 4 eligible flights but on reflection perhaps not that badly.

Is CAI really that bad??
I was of the belief that PtF offered a late-night CAI tour, exclusively for FTers

M
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: One World, Virgin
Can anyone help....I'm really struggling with getting this to price to the point where i want to throw my computer out the window. I have searched each leg of the journey separately on EXPERT FLYER and I class is available but I still can't get it to price anywhere near what others have found despite I being available. I have been going through the whole thread but I must be missing some step. Basically Im trying to get from Cairo to Hawaii and i want a stop in Las Vegas and LA. I have found the following available in I class:

Cairo to Dublin via LHR
Dublin to Las Vegas via LON
Las Vegas to Honolulu via LAX
Honolulu to LAX
LAX to LHR via (either Miami or NYC)
LHR to Cairo

I have looked for as many BA operated flights as possible to maximize TP and Avios. I dont have that much experience in these things so please any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't double-back through LHR.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by Calchas
You can't double-back through LHR.
But one stopover and one transfer is permitted (for one way portion). Both may include a surface segment (EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT) but for a transfer that rarely makes sense.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by mrwzee
Cairo to Dublin via LHR
Dublin to Las Vegas via LON
Las Vegas to Honolulu via LAX
Honolulu to LAX
LAX to LHR via (either Miami or NYC)
LHR to Cairo
Flying DUB to LAS via LON is the problem. You can't do double transit via the same city in this case LON. Your options either to fly DUB to North America Direct on AA or transit via MAD or CDG to North America with either AA or IB.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: One World, Virgin
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Flying DUB to LAS via LON is the problem. You can't do double transit via the same city in this case LON. Your options either to fly DUB to North America Direct on AA or transit via MAD or CDG to North America with either AA or IB.
Thanks everyone! Ill try again now
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I expect even the airlines don't know ! Revenue Management is highly dynamic and driven by scores of factors.

You might as well ask "what will the IAG share price be next Easter ?" - plenty of informed guesses are possible, but nobody really knows...
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Originally Posted by mrwzee
Thanks everyone! Ill try again now
How about...
CAI-LHR
DUB-LHR-LAS
LAS-LAX-HNL
HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR
DUB-LHR-CAI

This way it should work, and you can buy LHR-DUB separately.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by megaloman
How about...
CAI-LHR
DUB-LHR-LAS
LAS-LAX-HNL
HNL-LAX-JFK-LHR
DUB-LHR-CAI

This way it should work, and you can buy LHR-DUB separately.
C’est ça?
Attached Images  
ajm1972 and mrwzee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.