Quick turn at AKL possible?

Old Dec 27, 16, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Quick turn at AKL possible?

Is it possible to do a quick turn at AKL? I'm looking at runs where I arrive on CX197 from HKG to AKL then out on the same plane CX198 from AKL to HKG. Scheduled arrival would be 1320 and departure of 1450. Would I have to clear customs and then come back through security? Has anyone done this?
Old Dec 27, 16, 11:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, United Plat (2018:Gold), Marriott Pyrite
Haven't been to AKL myself, but there's some info here:

Mileage Runs turnarounds / turnabouts / transits:- Experiences please

The index in the Wiki section shows three entries for AKL.

Good luck!
Old Dec 27, 16, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wh6cto View Post
Haven't been to AKL myself, but there's some info here:

Mileage Runs turnarounds / turnabouts / transits:- Experiences please

The index in the Wiki section shows three entries for AKL.

Good luck!
Thank you! I looked for a thread like that but couldn't find it. One of the 3 posts referring to AKL says a quick turn is doable but the post is from 2003 so hopefully someone has had a more recent experience?
Old Dec 27, 16, 11:43 am

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
Depending on traffic and your passport type, it can be heaven or it can be hell. I'd say doable, but just.
Old Dec 27, 16, 11:57 am
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If no checked bags then yes doable. Follow the signs for international transit, clear security, proceed to the transfer desk (just past gates 1 & 2) to check in and collect boarding pass.

If checked bags then highly risky. Check in is likely to have closed by the time you clear immigration and customs.
Old Dec 28, 16, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA-1MM
KiwiFlyer has this one. Do NOT check bags and it is possible. If you check bags you are in the hands of the Gods.
Old Jan 2, 17, 4:25 am

Programs: SU Gold; KL Plat; BA Gold; A3 Gold
When i said im going to do nothing here at passport control the customs part was happy to get a customer for around 2 hrs search (including wait time). So beware
Old Jan 2, 17, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
While it is doable if the stars are aligned, personally, I wouldn't try it unless you would not mind if things go wrong and you lose your AKL-XXX itinerary.
Old Jan 3, 17, 5:53 pm

Programs: M&M
Do NOT immigrate (ie bags or going out). Should you do it expect to be grilled for 3-4 hrs. Personal experience.
Old Jan 5, 17, 1:31 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by FrankTalk View Post
Do NOT immigrate (ie bags or going out). Should you do it expect to be grilled for 3-4 hrs. Personal experience.
in my case, 5 hours for a thorough search, all my items in the baggage (carry on & checkin baggages)
Old May 31, 17, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

I booked it!

I took the plunge! I'll have 2 hours on the ground at AKL and of course I won't check a bag. It's going to be a brutal run though... PDX-LAX-HKG-AKL-HKG-LAX-PDX departing Friday @ 0630 arriving back in PDX on Monday @ 0200.... if all goes as planned!
Old Aug 21, 17, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

No problems!

Originally Posted by PDXAA View Post
I took the plunge! I'll have 2 hours on the ground at AKL and of course I won't check a bag. It's going to be a brutal run though... PDX-LAX-HKG-AKL-HKG-LAX-PDX departing Friday @ 0630 arriving back in PDX on Monday @ 0200.... if all goes as planned!
All went well! I had my onward BP, which I think is key... The folks running the transfer security checkpoint seemed a bit surprised that I was there (there was no line because there were no other aircraft with transiting passengers), as my carry-ons came through the scanner, the gentleman asked me what flight I came in on, to which I responded frankly, left quickly quickly with my belongings, and disappeared on to the concourse / in to the lounge... wish I could have spent more time in Auckland, but that's not what MR are about!
Old Aug 22, 17, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
All went well! I had my onward BP, which I think is key... The folks running the transfer security checkpoint seemed a bit surprised that I was there (there was no line because there were no other aircraft with transiting passengers), as my carry-ons came through the scanner, the gentleman asked me what flight I came in on, to which I responded frankly, left quickly quickly with my belongings, and disappeared on to the concourse / in to the lounge... wish I could have spent more time in Auckland, but that's not what MR are about!
Thanks for the update. I'll be doing something similar in a week or so. PVD-PHL-LAX-HKG-AKL-HKG-LAX-ORD-DCA-PVD.

I tried for a same day turn in AKL, but I couldn't make it work at a reasonable price. CX price jumped $5k for a same day turn (unless I wanted the NZ operated flight), so I'm spending 24hr in AKL. It'll be good to break up all the flying a bit anyway.

Hoping I get lucky and get an op up on at least one segment since I'm traveling alone in PY on a cash ticket. Not holding my breath though
Old Aug 23, 17, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swingaling View Post
Thanks for the update. I'll be doing something similar in a week or so. PVD-PHL-LAX-HKG-AKL-HKG-LAX-ORD-DCA-PVD.

I tried for a same day turn in AKL, but I couldn't make it work at a reasonable price. CX price jumped $5k for a same day turn (unless I wanted the NZ operated flight), so I'm spending 24hr in AKL. It'll be good to break up all the flying a bit anyway.

Hoping I get lucky and get an op up on at least one segment since I'm traveling alone in PY on a cash ticket. Not holding my breath though
I was op-upped on the second and fourth leg of my CX flights, so HKG>AKL and HKG>LAX which was much appreciated and perfect timing. The first one actually happened on the plane by the lead FA just before take-off. If you want to sleep in Premium Economy, I highly recommend a window seat in the last row of the cabin. I was able to lean against the window and because there was a bulkhead behind, I didn't have someone playing slingshot with my seat every time they wanted to get up.
Old Aug 23, 17, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
I was op-upped on the second and fourth leg of my CX flights, so HKG>AKL and HKG>LAX which was much appreciated and perfect timing. The first one actually happened on the plane by the lead FA just before take-off. If you want to sleep in Premium Economy, I highly recommend a window seat in the last row of the cabin. I was able to lean against the window and because there was a bulkhead behind, I didn't have someone playing slingshot with my seat every time they wanted to get up.
Thanks for the tip on seats. I've already booked myself in 34A on the 77H and 33K on the 35G (both last row windows). Mainly to take advantage of leaning against the window.

I flew the aisle on a recent AF 772 in PY and it was not very conducive to sleeping. Didn't help that the seat doesn't recline, so much as slide/slouch forward.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: