Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE]VX/AS PDX - SFO/LAX - IAD,BOS,JFK $128 RT 2cpm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PDXPremier
Routes / Airports / Dates

1/10 - 1/12 PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX-JFK-LAS-SFO-PDX (PDXsb)
1/17 - 1/19 PDX-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-BOS-LAX-PDX (PDXsb)
1/23 - 1/25 PDX-SFO-(BOS-LAX-(JFK-SFO-PDX)) (Kuchingite)
1/23 - 1/24 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-FLL-LAX (Quinlanty)
1/23 - 1-24 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO (Viajero Millero)
1/24 - 1/25 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (Gumbocook)
1/24 - 1/26 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-BOS-LAX (Quinlanty)
1/26 - 1/28 LAX-IAD-SFO-PDX-SFO-BOS-LAX (Quinlanty)
1/30 - 1/31 PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (uaflr)
1/31 - 2/02 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-BOS-LAX (blodders)

2/03 - 2/04 LAX-JFK-LAS-SFO-PDX-LAX (hiima)
2/03 - 2/05 PDX-SFO-BOS-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (John DELTA)
2/04 - 2/05 PDX-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (PDXsb)
2/10 - 2/11 LAX-JFK-LAS-SFO-PDX (lax.sea.jnu)
2/10 - 2/11 PDX-SFO-FLL-JFK-LAX (Single_Flyer)
2/10 - 2/11 PDX-SFO-BOS-LAX-PDX (PDXsb)
2/10 - 2/12 PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (zebes)
2/11 - 2/12 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (lax.sea.jnu)
2/21 - 2/23 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-BOS-LAX (Coffee84, hypertext)
2/21 - 2/24 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-BOS-LAX (jmmlaguna)
2/21 - 2/22 Pdx-Sfo-Fll-Lax-Jfk-Sfo-Pdx (nawlins)
2/22 - 2/23 PDX-SFO-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (knnryerye)
2/26 - 3/02 PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (CDKing)
2/28 - 3/02 PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (Quinlanty, John DELTA)

3/01 - 3/02 PDX-SFO-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (jinglish)
3/03 - 3/05 PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (Gumbocook)
3/04 - 3/05 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (Single_Flyer)
3/04 - 3/05 PDX-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (PDXsb)
3/06 - 3/08 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-FLL-LAX (jmmlaguna)
3/07 - 3/09 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-BOS-LAX (pilluelo)
3/07 - 3/08 PDX-SFO-FLL-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (hypertext)
3/10 - 3/11 LAX-JFK-LAS-SFO-PDX (hiima)
3/13 - 3/15 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-FLL-LAX (jmmlaguna)
3/14 - 3/15 PDX-SFO-FLL-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (solewalker, hypertext, wilma)
3/14 - 3/15 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX (socalgecko)
3/15 - 3/16 PDX-SFO-BOS-LAX (solewalker)
3/31 - 4/02 PDX-SFO-FLL-JFK-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (flyupfrnt)

4/04 - 4/05 PDX-SFO-JFK-LAS-LAX (haddon90)
4/18 - 4/20 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX (hypertext)
4/21 - 4/22 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (hiima)

5/02 - 5/04 PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (CDKing)
5/04 - 5/05 LAX-IAD-SFO-PDX (Windward Side of Life)

6/02 - 6/03 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (Gumbocook)

9/08 - 9/09 PDX-SFO-JFK-LAS-LAX (haddon90)
9/12 - 9/15 PDX-SFO-FLL-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (wheresdg)
9/30 - 10/01 PDX-SFO-FLL-LAX-SEA (charliew24)

10/02 - 10/04 PDX-SFO-FLL-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (rustykettel)
10/03 - 10/04 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX(Gumbocook)
10/03 - 10/04 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-FLL-LAX (socalgecko)
10/03 - 10/04 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-FLL-LAX (jmmlaguna)
10/03 - 10/04 PDX-SFO-JFK-LAS-LAX (haddon90)
10/06 - 10/08 PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (flyupfrnt)
10/09 - 10/11 PDX-SFO-FLL-LAX-IAD-SFO-LAX-PDX (rustykettel)
10/11 - 10/11 PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX (FijiBill)
10/12 - 10/14 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-BOS-LAX (hiima)
10/13 - 10/15 PDX-SFO-BOS-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (CDKing)
10/13 - 10/15 PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (Gumbocook)
10/13 - 10/15 PDX-SFO-BOS-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (charliew24)
10/13 - 10/15 PDX-SFO-FLL-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (Pdxpremier)
10/14 - 10/15 PDX-SFO-FLL-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (maskedmesothorium)
10/17 - 10/19 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX (Coffee84)
10/17 - 10/20 PDX-SFO-FLL-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (CDKing, wheresdg, Quinlanty)
10/20 - 10/22 PDX-SFO-JFK-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (Single_Flyer)
10/22 - 10/22 LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (FijiBill)

11/14 - 11/15 PDX-SFO-FLL-LAX-JFK-SFO-PDX (wheresdg, wilma)
11/29 - 11/30 LAX-IAD-SFO-PDX (Gumbocook)
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE]VX/AS PDX - SFO/LAX - IAD,BOS,JFK $128 RT 2cpm

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Still wondering if anyone has tried leaving the AS/VX terminal at JFK and heading over to the AF (PP) lounge in terminal 1 or the Wingtips (PP) lounge in terminal 4....did TSA let you through with a boarding pass from a different terminal? How long did it take?
i haven’t specifically landed in Terminal 7 where I believe AS lands at JFK, but 1.5 years ago I had a longish layover in JFK where I left an arrival terminal to go to the Wingtips in Term 4 before leaving for a flight in a completely different terminal. The Wingtips lounge definitely isn’t worth the hassle of going out of your way IMO though — one of the lamest lounges I’ve been to in the world and I know as of a couple months ago they had half the lounge closed off due to construction.

The AF lounge limited their hours for PP card holders to the mornings or late nights just as an FYI, and I’ve been denied entry as a PP one instance even during official hours they accept PP members.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Still wondering if anyone has tried leaving the AS/VX terminal at JFK and heading over to the AF (PP) lounge in terminal 1 or the Wingtips (PP) lounge in terminal 4....did TSA let you through with a boarding pass from a different terminal? How long did it take?
Yes they allow it. How long to go to other terminals depend on time
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by hiima
lack of Pre in T7 makes it worse when returning. Some of the turns seem kind of short. I wonder the odds of SDC so I an get out of JFK faster
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This should be interesting with the Napa/Sonoma fire. Yesterday flights were significantly delayed. Anyone have luck getting switched to AS flight? For instance I'm booked PDX-SFO-BOS, I really want to switch to PDX-BOS non-stop redeye. Anyone have luck with getting AS metal flghts? I wish the twitter folks could do it Since there is a nice premium aisle seat left.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CDKing
This should be interesting with the Napa/Sonoma fire. Yesterday flights were significantly delayed. Anyone have luck getting switched to AS flight? For instance I'm booked PDX-SFO-BOS, I really want to switch to PDX-BOS non-stop redeye. Anyone have luck with getting AS metal flghts? I wish the twitter folks could do it Since there is a nice premium aisle seat left.
Yes, I was rebooked onto an AS flight LAX-PDX last night. Missed my scheduled delayed flight due to random gate rescreen by CAS (SFO TSA) at boarding, rebooked nonstop VX was canceled and finally rerouted VX SFO-LAX and AS LAX-PDX.

Ended up canceling my seperate PDX-EUG ticket. Initial VX GA and AS GA were quite accommodating in trying to get me to SEA or moving the EUG ticket to the following day but there was no availability until later today. Took one of the shuttle buses from PDX instead after sleeping for a couple of hours next to C2 in PDX.

Will add some more trip notes a bit later.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, UA Gold
My experience so far:

At T-24 I tried to call for MCS seats and Virgin said they couldn't see my MVP status. I then called Alaska and they said they couldn't look up the Virgin confirmation code. Sigh...

So I went to the airport. The Virgin kiosk only let me print 2/3 boarding passes. More IT issues. So I went to the gate, where things changed for the better.

Gate agent was able to print out the third boarding pass and proactively put me on an earlier (much delayed) flight to get me into SFO from PDX in plenty of time. She even got me an MCS seat! So kudos to the Virgin PDX ground crew!

Unfortunately once I left PDX it went downhill again.

SFO was all messed up because of the fires. My outbound to JFK was delayed by an hour and a half and I almost missed my JFK connection. No MCS upgrade (agent had me show my Alaska MVP card) AND the gate agent switched me out of my non MCS exit row to a "better" row 6 seat? Zilch legroom for the transcon. Terrible.

I hardly had time to switch planes in JFK, so I wasn't able to enter the MCS lottery. Alas, looking at my boarding pass I found I had been unknowingly switched out of my non MCS exit row on JFK-LAX as well. I guess Virgin ejects Alaska elites when they see them in the exit row? Their system apparently can't see if you are MVP or not.

The Virgin entertainment system was pretty nice. The sat wifi works pretty good too. I wish their website worked as well :-)

More on the return...
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes, I was rebooked onto an AS flight LAX-PDX last night. Missed my scheduled delayed flight due to random gate rescreen by CAS (SFO TSA) at boarding, rebooked nonstop VX was canceled and finally rerouted VX SFO-LAX and AS LAX-PDX.

Ended up canceling my seperate PDX-EUG ticket. Initial VX GA and AS GA were quite accommodating in trying to get me to SEA or moving the EUG ticket to the following day but there was no availability until later today. Took one of the shuttle buses from PDX instead after sleeping for a couple of hours next to C2 in PDX.

Will add some more trip notes a bit later.
no luck for me. called AS transferred to VX. VX had me on hold for over 30 min and said they couldnt do anything because the rez got screwed up when VX agent at airport "fixed" the schedule change. VX gave me another number which he said was Virgin, but was Priceline. PL cant help either. Waste of over an hour of my time. Guess I am off to SFO Vx ticket counter tonight. Wish AS would get their act together with this VX acquisition.......
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried to change my flight tomorrow to AS PDX-BOS non-stop redeye with F2 U1 (would be nice even AS F) but no dice under the waiver. Offered travel bank credit. I guess ill be pressing my luck. If its delayed i assume they will put me on that flight anyways. Agent claimed that delays were not related to the fires but the usual fog at least she didnt take long to get back off hold

PS I did caller ID block *67 so I was able to avoid the initial routing to AS. Hold was very short for an agent.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
Originally Posted by CDKing
I tried to change my flight tomorrow to AS PDX-BOS non-stop redeye with F2 U1 (would be nice even AS F) but no dice under the waiver. Offered travel bank credit. I guess ill be pressing my luck. If its delayed i assume they will put me on that flight anyways. Agent claimed that delays were not related to the fires but the usual fog at least she didnt take long to get back off hold

PS I did caller ID block *67 so I was able to avoid the initial routing to AS. Hold was very short for an agent.
I was able to get switched to the AS flight PDX-LAX at SFO. Took less than 10 minutes. They understood why, lots of flights cancelled. the travel policy is on the virgin website. its at the very top.

delays/cancellations are due to the smoke, not fog ! In my experience VX phone customer service is quite useless.

cant check-in for some reason, so on the phone w/ AS now.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:23 pm

cant checkin online cause the original ticket was thru PL and when they did change it has a different ticket #. gotta check-in at the airport. There goes my upgrade chances......
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by FijiBill
My experience so far:

At T-24 I tried to call for MCS seats and Virgin said they couldn't see my MVP status. I then called Alaska and they said they couldn't look up the Virgin confirmation code. Sigh...

So I went to the airport. The Virgin kiosk only let me print 2/3 boarding passes. More IT issues. So I went to the gate, where things changed for the better.

Gate agent was able to print out the third boarding pass and proactively put me on an earlier (much delayed) flight to get me into SFO from PDX in plenty of time. She even got me an MCS seat! So kudos to the Virgin PDX ground crew!

Unfortunately once I left PDX it went downhill again.

SFO was all messed up because of the fires. My outbound to JFK was delayed by an hour and a half and I almost missed my JFK connection. No MCS upgrade (agent had me show my Alaska MVP card) AND the gate agent switched me out of my non MCS exit row to a "better" row 6 seat? Zilch legroom for the transcon. Terrible.

I hardly had time to switch planes in JFK, so I wasn't able to enter the MCS lottery. Alas, looking at my boarding pass I found I had been unknowingly switched out of my non MCS exit row on JFK-LAX as well. I guess Virgin ejects Alaska elites when they see them in the exit row? Their system apparently can't see if you are MVP or not.

The Virgin entertainment system was pretty nice. The sat wifi works pretty good too. I wish their website worked as well :-)

More on the return...
For MVP (and Elevate Silver), MCS upgrade window is T-12.

No idea why you would get switched. I never saw any sign of being a second class elite in my interactions with VX either in person or on the phone. VX phone agents almost uniformly thanked me for being an Alaska MVPG. The only ones I've heard being a bit tweaked about the acquisition have been either VX customers or AS employees.

That said, the IT backend is complete crud. I've had BPs with MVPG on them, reprinted still had my MP# on it but missing the Gold wording & Group B boarding. One BP had both Priority and Group B on it.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
Just passed through JFK today and they let us into terminal 4 for the Wingtips Lounge, but terminal 1 was a no-go....disappointing since I was really hoping for a shower in the AF Lounge.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:30 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Got the first of two res. fixed. Agent let me switch starting cities and even change destinations, so instead of FLL ill be headed to Orlando. Added me to the list for MCS, so hopefully that clears in to a non exit row window! Now calling for the second res. Also @CDKing and @wheresdg care to meet up b4 the flight in PDX?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Got the first of two res. fixed. Agent let me switch starting cities and even change destinations, so instead of FLL ill be headed to Orlando. Added me to the list for MCS, so hopefully that clears in to a non exit row window! Now calling for the second res. Also @CDKing and @wheresdg care to meet up b4 the flight in PDX?
I just got back this afternoon from my VX mileage run...the key to getting the MCS upgrades is making sure you are not only on the upgrade list, but more importantly, NOT checked-in. It was obvious that when I was on the list but already checked-in, I would not get the upgrade until I went through the process of finding someone on VX chat to uncheck me in.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I just got back this afternoon from my VX mileage run...the key to getting the MCS upgrades is making sure you are not only on the upgrade list, but more importantly, NOT checked-in. It was obvious that when I was on the list but already checked-in, I would not get the upgrade until I went through the process of finding someone on VX chat to uncheck me in.
My experience last weekend did not require me to be unchecked in for each segment to UG to MCS at its respective 24 hour mark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.