2017 AA EQD Run

Old Dec 26, 16, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Gino Troian View Post
US [SFO/JFK/ORD/etc.] to AKL via CX PE will net you $5K+ PQD for about $1900.

Possible to fly the 359 if you don't mind a long layover in HKG. Dates wide open...

SFO: $5032 PQD
ORD: $5380 PQD
JFK: $5492 PQD
Very nice route. 25k award miles, $5k EQD, 38k EQM from SFO.

Combined 48 hrs butt-in-seat is pretty insane though.
Old Dec 26, 16, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Choice Plat
Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
Yes a case can be made that if you fly J/F, you really won't need status.
may be I did not state myself correctly

If you are flying AA metal
1. Unless you are paying upwards of 10cpm you wont make the desired EQD with reasonable flying...no way I am paying that for economy.
2. if you fly J, status is worthless in most cases..lets keep IRROPS aside.

If you are flying partners, it's clear that unless you fly PE/J, there are no sweet spots so where will I use the status?

for other posters who mentioned it's loophole whereby partner J earn lot higher EQD, to me it seems by design...overall AA wants you to pay higher for their metal and choose partner premium fares where AA does not fly

I mean those ex-CMB and ex-CAI cheap fares are there for reason ..they dont sell..now we plan to fill them to get the status which does not guarantee anything...not sure if I am missing anything...I am not convinved

yeah..if you find cheap <5 cpm premium fare to the destination you want to go just hop on...status will be added benefit but I don't see a point of going out of way for that

Last edited by techoin; Jan 6, 17 at 9:01 pm
Old Dec 26, 16, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pat89339 View Post
I've split the relevant posts into this thread for the time being.

UA never had a thread like this, even though they have had PQD for three years now. I don't understand the purpose of this thread when you have to meet a spend. I, for one, buy more P fares internationally than I have ever done before and still haven't reached the required spend for UA (although I will by year end), even though my PQMs are now over 200K.

I'm happy to be enlightened.

Pat89339, Moderator
Mileage Run Forum
+1

Originally Posted by golmaale View Post
UA and AA (which is what the OP posted about) programs are fundamentally different, in the sense that UA offers no PQD at all unless it is ticketed on UA (and perhaps some partners like NH, LH). AA however offers (vcarying) PQD on all alliance partners, regardless of which document is issued.

The OP presumably wanted to initiate a thread where FT members can suggest the max PQD bang for the buck.

PS. Those who are enslaved to UA will no doubt be unable to appreciate this.
Not necessarily true.

1. UA does not count PQDs when your registered physical address is outside the US. Worry-free. There are lot of happy campers out of the US while people in the US have to stress over 'PQD' issues.

2. Echoed Pat89339. If all you want is bonus RDMs, you could go to AS. If you want four eVIPs, then think about how much additional travel you need to spend in order to get the petty eVIPs. If the ex-EU, occasional ex-US/Canada, and ex-Asia fares keep as long as those, then there is no point of getting the eVIPs. Prime example? PVG-ORD ($1500 J, $500-$800 Y). You cannot use UA GPUs, nor you could use AA eVIPs(Almost all aircraft configurations are in J/MCE/Y, so you are already in J, and you cannot go higher, except GRU, HKG, and LHR routes.

AA is a very unappealing program right now. For UA, at least there is always the next MM level people can hope to aim for. Most of AA 2MM LT PLTs have nothing to lose by not flying AA at all.
Old Dec 26, 16, 4:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by tmpvt View Post
Moderator - please stop this thread!!!

The stupid stupid stupid community here is trying again to kill a little space that is left from AA.

Every frequent flyer is hopefully intelligent enough to calculate for himself good possibilities for EQD.
AMEN to this part of it! We screw each other over,many times unintentionally, by our exuberance to post deals and let others share our good fortune! BUT, with this shift in PQD and PQM, we are going to have to be more careful..the PM method should continue to be encouraged!
Old Dec 26, 16, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by cova View Post
What is the June devaluation with respect to this?
I know AC access goes away.
TYP redemption for AA ticket purchases drops from 1.6 to 1.25
Old Dec 27, 16, 8:21 pm

Suggestions

Any suggestions for high EQD MR's with OW carriers for travel to India from So-Cal. I am currently an EXP and have a few trips to Mumbai coming up and would want some suggestions please.
Old Dec 27, 16, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.5MM, Bonvoy LIFETIME Titanium Elite, HH Diamd, Priority Clb PLT, Ntnl Exec, Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky View Post
+1
AA is a very unappealing program right now. For UA, at least there is always the next MM level people can hope to aim for. Most of AA 2MM LT PLTs have nothing to lose by not flying AA at all.
100% correct. My domestic EXP upgrades even for tickets purchased 4 months out are about 40-50%. I am AA 3MM. There is nothing more I can get from now miserable (dis)AAdvantage. Milesaver AAward for are blocked for decent leisure dates all the way through the calendar. Sure, I should book F or J but why should I give my $$ to AA?
Old Jan 1, 17, 7:33 pm
E55

Feels like Feb 1, 2018 will be the threshold after-which top status will feel more exclusive. The complexity/newness of EQD alone will weed out flyers who would otherwise have qualified.

Originally Posted by techoin View Post
may be I did not state myself correctly

If you are flying AA metal
1. Unless you are paying upwards of 10cpm you wont make the desired EQD with reasonable flying...no way I am paying that for economy.
2. if you fly J, status is worthless in most cases..lets keep IRROPS aside.

If you are flying partners, it's clear that unless you fly PE/J, there are no sweet spots so where will I use the status?

for other posters who mentioned it's loophole whereby partner J earn lot higher EQD, to me it seems by design...overall AA wants you to pay higher for their metal and choose partner premium fares where AA does not fly

I mean those ex-CMB and ex-CAI cheap fares are there for reason ..they dont sell..now we plan to fill them to get the status which does not guarantee anything...not sure if I am missing anything...I am not convinved

yeah..if you find cheap <5 cpm premium fare to the destination you want to go just hope on...status will be added benefit but I don't see a point of going out of way for that
Old Jan 2, 17, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
How much does it cost to move classes?

Originally Posted by bhomburg View Post
I`m based in Europe and can easily achieve this flying to Asia and Oceania on AA partners in discount PE and discount J without any 'creative flying' involved apart from the occasional detour via AKL to rack up more miles and calling in to upfare itineraries from "I" to "D" for double the EQD with a minimal fare difference.
Also, some clever juggling of partners on DONEx tickets (hint: check which airline earns 40% EQD on D fares...) can provide really high EQD value, making these tickets even more attractive than they have been in the past.
what is a minimal fare difference approx?
Old Jan 5, 17, 1:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.1MM, SPG Plat
I agree that EQD should not be discuss in the forum, PM only.
Old Jan 6, 17, 11:50 am
E55

Guidelines will not be changed on a whim... there's MUCH more value to the community to share opportunities here, than there is to hide them in PM's hoping they won't be discovered.

Ratios and agreements between airlines are not going to be changed on a whim, or because a route or two might yield a favorable EQD amount. None of these examples are egregious. Advantageous maybe, but still within the spirit of the program. 2x net EQD? On a premium priced ticket? There are bigger fish to fry for a rewards program.

Originally Posted by minyung View Post
Old Jan 6, 17, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by E55 View Post
Guidelines will not be changed on a whim... there's MUCH more value to the community to share opportunities here, than there is to hide them in PM's hoping they won't be discovered.

Ratios and agreements between airlines are not going to be changed on a whim, or because a route or two might yield a favorable EQD amount. None of these examples are egregious. Advantageous maybe, but still within the spirit of the program. 2x net EQD? On a premium priced ticket? There are bigger fish to fry for a rewards program.
Overall, I tend to agree with the sentiment given how scattered the fares are. However, there's been a whole lot of fish frying at AA/OW lately. I favor a mix- posting some basics that are helpful, but not entirely big insider info, but specific deals that may be pretty good, and limited, are honestly more effective when shared with people who actually might make use of them.

Personally, I'm making the most of it & looking forward to spending more time on partner airlines I haven't flown much before for a change. Really, at this point, the 'Premium Fares' section of the mileage run forums are the best starting point for EQD.
Old Jan 6, 17, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
Originally Posted by minyung View Post
really! look at x3 ans x1 thread. plenty of info to gather there.

get used to a hard fact - either you are with the peasant crowd or you are ahead of it.
Old Jan 7, 17, 4:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.1MM, SPG Plat
The hard fact is, AA is making it harder for peasants like me to re-qualify to achieve executive platinum for 2018 and thereafter and there are plenty of us who are in the same boat. It was hard (if no upgrade) and fun (if you got the upgrade) to do all the mileage run in the past but with the EQD added into the equation at $12K, it will be harder and more expensive to achieve the goal. Do I want to spend $12K? Of course not, but that is where we will be heading if we don't taper down our exuberance in discussing the EQD.
Old Jan 8, 17, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
I haven't tried booking it, but there appears to be wide availability on a pretty common O/D pair from Canada to Asia, in J, for better than 2 EQD/$ (as opposed to < 1 on any AA flight due to taxes), and $0.08/EQM.

It's not exactly a secret, if I could find it in 10 minutes from the time I went "hmm, how might I get rid of the EQD issue without the right credit card" to "yeah, I'd do that trip in November if I need it and have vacation time at the destination" then I think some intern at AA has already put it on a list.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: