Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
There are many good fares to China (PEK or PVG). If you have a Chinese visa, these options will be provided.

If your requested PQM is in a few thousand, please give a more accurate amount. You will get fewer options with a roundup number (eg, 5000 instead of 4830; IAD-SFO nonstop will work for the latter.)
Print Wikipost

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
You can increase segment count by using Same day change (SDC). Also, booking two one-ways ticket instead of one round trip to facilitate the SDC. You can do this with your upcoming trips without buying new tickets. For example, I can make ORD-xxx to ORD-DEN-IAD-xxx. First, you change ORD-xxx to ORD-DEN-xxx; after scanning ORD-DEN boarding pass, you change DEN-xxx to DEN-IAD-xxx. The assumption is that your fare code is available for the new flight. Good luck!
Do you do that on app or on kiosk at airport?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by anandrag

Do you do that on app or on kiosk at airport?
App will give all available options. Sometimes, it gives me a weird one, for example, ORD-SFO-xxx, where xxx is an airport southeast of ORD (2 hr flight time).
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
You can increase segment count by using Same day change (SDC). Also, booking two one-ways ticket instead of one round trip to facilitate the SDC. You can do this with your upcoming trips without buying new tickets. For example, I can make ORD-xxx to ORD-DEN-IAD-xxx. First, you change ORD-xxx to ORD-DEN-xxx; after scanning ORD-DEN boarding pass, you change DEN-xxx to DEN-IAD-xxx. The assumption is that your fare code is available for the new flight. Good luck!
I agree that is a great idea, however my work flights are all regional IAH - MSY or IAH - PNY and don’t afford me to take the extra time. I need to make these runs during my off time.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
8 segments, in 1 day, for $500? Hmm...just a guess, but that may be a tough one!
I’m open to multiple days as long as I’m home in my bed at the end of the evening :-). The $500 is my target. Is playing around with Google Flights the best method for doing a search?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:20 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Departure Airport: YVR (Although Could make SEA or SFO work)
Miles Needed: Around 15K
Required Spend or Budget: Around $3,500 max
Available Travel Dates: Anytime between mid October and end of yesr
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA Metal only

Route(s) You've Already Searched: TPE, HKG, NRT, SIN and others

I have a $3,000 credit sitting with UA that's burning a bit of a hole in my pocket. I also want to max out my *A points via Aeroplan. So I've been looking at long haul flights to Asia in J that will use up the credit and get me a decent bucket of points (I'll get a 50% bonus for most J variants). Who knows, maybe even a chance to check Polaris service.

I'm not fixated on Asia but would prefer a relatively quick turn for this MR. Nothing really interesting has come up via Google flights - any bright ideas?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Departure Airport: YVR (Although Could make SEA or SFO work)
Miles Needed: Around 15K
Required Spend or Budget: Around $3,500 max
Available Travel Dates: Anytime between mid October and end of yesr
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA Metal only

Route(s) You've Already Searched: TPE, HKG, NRT, SIN and others

I have a $3,000 credit sitting with UA that's burning a bit of a hole in my pocket. I also want to max out my *A points via Aeroplan. So I've been looking at long haul flights to Asia in J that will use up the credit and get me a decent bucket of points (I'll get a 50% bonus for most J variants). Who knows, maybe even a chance to check Polaris service.

I'm not fixated on Asia but would prefer a relatively quick turn for this MR. Nothing really interesting has come up via Google flights - any bright ideas?
What about this? I know you said UA metal only, but there's SEA - NRT RT with ANA nonstop, sold by United $2,989. According to the Aeroplan partner site, this ANA flight, operated by United would credit 150% since the United ticket is a P fare. Not sure if this is accurate. Plenty of dates in November with a night layover in Tokyo. Are you only interested in flying UA metal?
  • For codeshare flights marketed by ANA but operated by another Star Alliance member airline, the operating airline determines how many miles you earn for your flight. Therefore, the booking class that appears on your ticket may differ from the booking class that the operating airline uses to determine flight miles earned. Refer to the Eligible Flights Tab of the operating carrier.

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...51*.USD.298651

The other option is SEA - ICN. I see some November and December availability. This also includes a night in Seoul, but it's all UA metal with a layover in SFO. These are P, $2,932, but Aeroplan says these would credit 150% if I'm reading things right.

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...91*.USD.293291
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: 1K
Departure Airport: DRO (willing to reposition with saver econ award)
Miles Needed: ~26,000
Required Spend or Budget: At 11,200 PQD so only need $800
Available Travel Dates: Anytime except Nov1-2, Thanksgiving and Xmas to New Year
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Doesn't matter
Route(s) You've Already Searched: Looking at CGK/SIN/TPE/HKG

Would be happy to buy W or V fare if the route is relatively GPU friendly, so SIN may be out of the question. Wondering about DEN<->NRT for GPUs, then connecting to another SE Asia location.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by zdog2x
Departure Airport: DRO (willing to reposition with saver econ award)
Miles Needed: ~26,000
Required Spend or Budget: At 11,200 PQD so only need $800
Available Travel Dates: Anytime except Nov1-2, Thanksgiving and Xmas to New Year
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Doesn't matter
Route(s) You've Already Searched: Looking at CGK/SIN/TPE/HKG

Would be happy to buy W or V fare if the route is relatively GPU friendly, so SIN may be out of the question. Wondering about DEN<->NRT for GPUs, then connecting to another SE Asia location.
TPE and HKG flights seem to have GPU availability from different hubs. SFO and EWR for sure
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:19 pm

IAH-LAX on Oct. 29

Originally Posted by pecck
Departure Airport: IAH (SAT, AUS, or DFW would work as well)
Miles Segments Needed: 8
Required Spend or Budget: $500 (budget)
Available Travel Dates: Last week in October - 10/29 - 10/31
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Okay
Route(s) You've Already Searched: I've been looking at UA hubs, LAX, DEC, SFO, EWR, and ORD

1K now, looking to renew again.
Outbound, nonstop is $77. return is also $77. You will try to use same-day change to increase your segment count. The return flight is not ideal, but again you can use SDC. Hopefully, you will get, at least, four segments out of this trip. Good luck.
https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...o;sp:.USD.5120

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...o;sp:.USD.7620
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: E50K, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
A* G (Elite 50K AC) requal needed

Departure Airport: YYZ/YTZ
Miles Needed: 5K for A*G
Required Spend or Budget: $1000 CAD for Econ - willing to pay slightly more for J
Available Travel Dates: Weekends (can take a Fri or Mon - need to be quick turns) - Oct. 15 to Dec. 10 inclusive
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: AC metal reqs met - just needs to be *A metal

Happy to go near or far! Struggling to find UA fares in price range that meet Aeroplan 100% accumulation criteria... (V/W or J etc.)! No travel restrictions! All suggestions welcome! Thank you!!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
UA from Chicago 10/12

Anyone have a ideas for a good mileage run on 10/12 from ORD on UA? I wish there was a mileage run search mechanism that generated ideas with just a few inputs.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:46 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by motoridersd

The other option is SEA - ICN. I see some November and December availability. This also includes a night in Seoul, but it's all UA metal with a layover in SFO. These are P, $2,932, but Aeroplan says these would credit 150% if I'm reading things right.

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...91*.USD.293291
That one looks great - thanks! I can even make it work as YVR-SFO-ICN return on UA for about the same price.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:54 pm

Asia or bust for UA Gold! (Need lots of miles)

Departure Airport: ORD
Miles Needed: 18,500
Required Spend or Budget: min $1800 (up to $2000)
Available Travel Dates: any weekend in November/December

I have been on google flights for a while but not finding much... most flights I am seeing will not meet the $$$ and when looking at business class it is too much $$$. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:33 pm

One way in business and the other in economy. Or you fly domestic first class (or flat bed to HNL) and get 2xdistance PQMs.
Edit: The nonstop ORD-HNL in First class is just short of 18K PQM. But MKE-HNL will work for any routing. If you should give United $1800 PQD from your own pocket, I would think twice about it before pulling the trigger if I were you.

Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]

Last edited by Kmxu; Sep 24, 2018 at 7:55 am Reason: MKE-HNL may work
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by JB123
Anyone have a ideas for a good mileage run on 10/12 from ORD on UA? I wish there was a mileage run search mechanism that generated ideas with just a few inputs.
Because it looks like you're only able to do a same day routing (based on the fact that you want to do a run on 10/12), try this:

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=ORD..2018-10-12*.ORD.2018-10-12;c:USD;e:1;a:UA*UA;ls:1w;sd:1;er:56316082.-1375117187.594530544.-534882812;t:e

BTW, that was only a few clicks for me to get Google Flights setup that way. Just be aware that some of the prices shown there will be basic economy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.