Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
There are many good fares to China (PEK or PVG). If you have a Chinese visa, these options will be provided.

If your requested PQM is in a few thousand, please give a more accurate amount. You will get fewer options with a roundup number (eg, 5000 instead of 4830; IAD-SFO nonstop will work for the latter.)
Print Wikipost

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Unless I'm mistaken, you will only earn additional PQMs (and PQSs), if you actually buy up to a different fare class, not just purchase an upgrade.
@agerbs123 .. this is correct... you will, unfortunately, not receive PQD for the additional revenue. This used to be the case, but it has changed once and for all in recent months. Confirmed with phone agents (multiple).

For int'l, the upgrade options with revenue are typically far less expensive than the actual fare class difference to literally change your ticket to the higher fare class (though this is not always the case for domestic, and when that is true, always call in to have them charge you the fare class difference so that the added charge goes directly into your base fare and gives you PQD / RDM bonus!!!).

At least the cheap buy-up upgrade options are good for maximizing PQM's and sometimes it's worth it to have the GPU's / RPU's.... though not always depending on the price.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Departure Airport: SAN
Miles Needed: 10-15k
Required Spend or Budget: up to $500
Available Travel Dates: September, first 3 weeks of October
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA
Route(s) You've Already Searched: SAN - SJU via EWR is my best find at $304 (8066 miles/3.78 cpm)

I have some ETCs to burn, so looking to bank up some PQMs.

Last edited by motoridersd; Aug 12, 2018 at 12:00 pm
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by motoridersd
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Star Alliance (UA PQM needed)
Just so that you're aware, if you are looking to use ETCs, I believe you can only use them on all UA/UAx itineraries (I.E., no LH, LX, NH, etc)
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Just so that you're aware, if you are looking to use ETCs, I believe you can only use them on all UA/UAx itineraries (I.E., no LH, LX, NH, etc)
Oh, yes! I copied the format form a previous poster that specified *A and forgot to change that. I'll update. Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:04 pm

Departure Airport: PIT
Miles Needed: 75k for Platinum
Budget: As little as possible
Available Travel Dates: Early 2019
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: (UA PQM Needed)

Unfortunately, I'll be starting 2019 from scratch. No status at all and very little planned on United, but able to put $25k on a United MileagePlus card, so my PQD will at least be waived. I have some trips coming up at the later in 2019/2020, so I'm going to try to mileage run my way to Premier Platinum for as little as possible. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
LAX-HKG?

Originally Posted by motoridersd
Departure Airport: SAN
Miles Needed: 10-15k
Required Spend or Budget: up to $500
Available Travel Dates: September, first 3 weeks of October
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA
Route(s) You've Already Searched: SAN - SJU via EWR is my best find at $304 (8066 miles/3.78 cpm)

The fares out of LAX are much cheaper than ex-SAN. Here is an example for LAX-HKG for $577.
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=L...UA*UA;sd:1;t:f

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=L...931*.USD.53671

Last edited by Kmxu; Aug 12, 2018 at 6:49 pm Reason: $537 for Oct.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:17 am

General suggestions

Originally Posted by alantraveler
Departure Airport: PIT
Miles Needed: 75k for Platinum
Budget: As little as possible
Available Travel Dates: Early 2019
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: (UA PQM Needed)

Unfortunately, I'll be starting 2019 from scratch. No status at all and very little planned on United, but able to put $25k on a United MileagePlus card, so my PQD will at least be waived. I have some trips coming up at the later in 2019/2020, so I'm going to try to mileage run my way to Premier Platinum for as little as possible. Any help is greatly appreciated!
The fares to China (e.g., PVG) are generally cheap nowadays. So, it will give you a lot of more cheap options if you get a Chinese visa ($140 applications fees for 10-yr). Otherwise, keep check some destinations with good deals from other nearby cities (e.g., check theflightdeal.com daily). On the mileage Runs deals forum, you can see amazing fares, too (e.g., RDU-SLC round trip for $100, BOS-SMF/SJC round trip for $129, open jaw, USA-HKG-China-Canada, for $300+). It is not too early to keep an eye for 2019. More cheap deals are coming daily. My rule is that I would book fares that are below 3 cents per PQM. Good luck.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The fares out of LAX are much cheaper than ex-SAN. Here is an example for LAX-HKG for $577.
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=L...UA*UA;sd:1;t:f

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=L...931*.USD.53671
Thanks. Yeah, they usually are. It's a bit of a PITA to do a MR from there for me... That second one looks more doable since I only need an overnight in HKG
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The fares to China (e.g., PVG) are generally cheap nowadays. So, it will give you a lot of more cheap options if you get a Chinese visa ($140 applications fees for 10-yr). Otherwise, keep check some destinations with good deals from other nearby cities (e.g., check theflightdeal.com daily). On the mileage Runs deals forum, you can see amazing fares, too (e.g., RDU-SLC round trip for $100, BOS-SMF/SJC round trip for $129, open jaw, USA-HKG-China-Canada, for $300+). It is not too early to keep an eye for 2019. More cheap deals are coming daily. My rule is that I would book fares that are below 3 cents per PQM. Good luck.
Appreciate it! Yeah I kind of figured something to China or Singapore might be my best bet, so I'll keep an eye out for those. Thanks for the advice!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: United
UA Mileage Run to 1K

Hello,

I am trying to hit 1K before the end of this year with most of my travel occuring in Oct or November. I prefer weekends however I am happy to travel and return same day or next day. Any help would be amazing because I never had the chance to even come close.

Departure Airport: EWR (JFK & LGA secondary but prefer EWR)
Miles Needed: 47K
Required Spend or Budget: As little as possible unless business or first class justify PQM earned.
Available Travel Dates: Weekends preferred in Oct, Nov, Dec (same day or next day return is great)
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Currently Gold Status

Route(s) You've Already Searched: None

Last edited by sportsnj; Aug 14, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by sportsnj
I am trying to hit 1K
I hit the $$$ needed due to credit card purchases
What credit card purchases are you talking about? The Chase credit card spend waiver? Just to make sure, you know that doesn't apply to 1K, right? The highest status you can get without meeting the PQD requirement (by spending $25K on the Chase card) is Platinum. If you're shooting for 1K, you *MUST* spend the required $12K on United flight PQDs.

Also, it seems like your last sentence was cut off since it ended with "I hit the $$$ needed due to credit card purchases so now I "...I'm not sure if there was more to your post or not.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: United
Thanks, I have updated post. First Timer.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by sportsnj
Thanks, I have updated post. First Timer.
Have you met the PQD requirement that I mentioned? I noticed you took the related info out of your original post.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:16 pm

Departure Airport: SFO
Miles Needed: 25,000
Required Spend or Budget: Budget $3,000 max (I am okay on UA PQD)
Available Travel Dates: December 8-15 or Christmas weekend
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Any airline; just need *A PQM for UA status
Route(s) You've Already Searched: Many. (SFO->JNB, PER, AMM, DYU (via IST)...) I can find good R/T fares/routes, but to get needed PQM, I need to do multi-destination, which gets expensive. Seeking long, efficient routing ideas.

Notes: 2018 employer dropped United as a preferred airline; 2019 I will be back on United, so big MR need to save status. First time I have needed a mileage run. I'm ignorant. THANKS!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:36 pm

SFO-PEK/PVG

If you get a Chinese visa ($140 for 10 years), you can get 25K PQM with two weekend trips and they will cost less than $1000.

Edit: For inbound, you can route thru NRT to avoid Chinese visa (use TWOV). The total cost for two SFO-PEK trips is about $1100.

Last edited by Kmxu; Aug 15, 2018 at 7:45 pm Reason: Routing through NRT to avoid visa

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.