Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
There are many good fares to China (PEK or PVG). If you have a Chinese visa, these options will be provided.

If your requested PQM is in a few thousand, please give a more accurate amount. You will get fewer options with a roundup number (eg, 5000 instead of 4830; IAD-SFO nonstop will work for the latter.)
Print Wikipost

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: United 2M, Marriott Titanium
Hi, yes willing to do TPAC, that's what I did last year and I'd like to do 2 days if possible, 3 days max. Flight last year was SFO>HKG>GUM>NRT>SFO

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: United 2M, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
When you say "Required Metal - United", do you mean you actually need to fly on UA flights? Or just flights that get UA PQM? I'm assuming the latter, because I would think that only status match would require UA metal...

So, based on not needing only UA metal, here are a couple options:

$520 SFO-BKK, 16849PQM
Mon 21 May SFO-NRT-BKK
(~7.5 hrs overnight in BKK)
Wed 23 May BKK-NRT-LAX-SFO
https://goo.gl/flights/xjDjS

or, this option has a quick 50min connection time in PNH, and I know nothing about the airport, or visa requirement for Cambodia...but, here it is anyway:

$514 SFO-PNH, 15238PQM
Mon 20 Aug SFO-ICN-PNH
(50min turn in PNH)
Wed 22 Aug PNH-NRT-SFO
https://goo.gl/flights/YHc3e
Hi, you're correct, apologies for the confusion, I just need flights to get UA PQM. The SFO-BKK looks like it might be an option and think the 50 minutes connection time might be pushing it?

thank you!!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SFKate
Hi, you're correct, apologies for the confusion, I just need flights to get UA PQM. The SFO-BKK looks like it might be an option and think the 50 minutes connection time might be pushing it?

thank you!!
BKK seems to be a safer choice. You can easily kill six hours at airport. Cambodia requires a tourist visa for entry (https://travel.state.gov/content/tra.../Cambodia.html). It is probably impossible to make a 50 min connection between different airlines. If the turn-around is on the same airlines and aircraft, it may be doable. If you want to spend a day or two sightseeing, the PNH option is also good.
Good luck.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:07 am

Hey everyone,
I am currently 555 miles away from Silver, I have met the PQD requirement already. I am wondering if it is worthwhile to go on a quick mileage run to earn the status upgrade prior to a likely upcoming MCO>KIX trip?
If I only make that trip once this year I will probably be about 10,000 short of Gold, though it is possible I may make it more than once again this year. I expect to make the same trip several times next year, so I would like to be at least Gold before then.

Is there any difference regarding PQM accumulation based on current status level? Should I make a short inexpensive trip to get the 555 miles to Silver, so that my anticipated MCO - Osaka itinerary will earn a greater amount of PQM's or other benefits?
Should I do a longer run to earn the anticipated 10,000 mile shortfall to Gold at the same time?
Or should I simply wait for the MCO-KIX trip to earn Silver, and then figure out how many pqm's I will need for Gold and make the mileage run later if necessary?
PQD should not be a problem.

Any cheap weekend run suggestions out of MCO or TPA to earn the 555 or $300- $400 to earn the 10k would be appreciated,

Follow up is there a reasonable MCO to Osaka route that maximizes PQM without adding an exorbitant amount of additional travel time? I typically fly MCO-SFO-KIX or MCO-IAH-SFO-KIX. with inverted returns
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Looking to hit KrisFlyer Elite Gold sometime prior to August 31st.

Departure Airport: SNA (+LAX/LGB/SAN)
Miles Needed: 14,481 (prior to 08/31/2018)
Required Spend or Budget: Ideally less than 4cpm.
Available Travel Dates: Fairly flexible; close-in preferred.
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: no metal requirements, but need something that credits more than 25% to SQ.
Route(s) You've Already Searched: tried most TPAC routes, but they're all astronomically expensive for little to no earnings (e.g. ANA/UA K fares, NZ G, etc.)

Is my best route just to milk the $217 RT LAX-BWI/IAD fares on Alaska? I'd love to knock it out in one long-haul flight to save time, but I accept that it may not be practical.
Originally Posted by Madone59
I don't want to get things to off track because AS has it's own thread but IF you focus on AS - which I recommend - there are a lot of $230 RT T-Con's out of SAN too. BOS, EWR, BWI in May. I'd give those a look too as well as the sub $200 AS and UA Hawaii fares floating around right now!
Okay, turns out AS/B6 flights don't earn elite qualifying miles on SQ, so I'm back at this again.

Booked SK to OSL for ~11494mi, so I need to earn another 2987mi on *A metal. Anyone have advice?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Keithcm
Hey everyone,
I am currently 555 miles away from Silver, I have met the PQD requirement already. I am wondering if it is worthwhile to go on a quick mileage run to earn the status upgrade prior to a likely upcoming MCO>KIX trip?
If I only make that trip once this year I will probably be about 10,000 short of Gold, though it is possible I may make it more than once again this year. I expect to make the same trip several times next year, so I would like to be at least Gold before then.

Is there any difference regarding PQM accumulation based on current status level? Should I make a short inexpensive trip to get the 555 miles to Silver, so that my anticipated MCO - Osaka itinerary will earn a greater amount of PQM's or other benefits?
Should I do a longer run to earn the anticipated 10,000 mile shortfall to Gold at the same time?
Or should I simply wait for the MCO-KIX trip to earn Silver, and then figure out how many pqm's I will need for Gold and make the mileage run later if necessary?

Any cheap weekend run suggestions out of MCO or TPA to earn the 555 or $300- $400 to earn the 10k would be appreciated,

Follow up is there a reasonable MCO to Osaka route that maximizes PQM without adding an exorbitant amount of additional travel time? I typically fly MCO-SFO-KIX or MCO-IAH-SFO-KIX. with inverted returns
I'm no expert, but with regards to accrual, as a Silver you'll get a bonus in RDM accrual, but not PQM AFAIK.

Will you be flying Economy to KIX?

If so, I'd consider how much you value Premier Access--i.e. priority check-in, security, boarding, and baggage handling--and (potential) complimentary Economy+ seating

If this is something of value to you, then consider that Economy Plus seating for MCO-SFO-KIX appears to be $300+ one way. As a Silver member, you can select Economy+ for free at T-24 hours of your flight (higher statuses gets them @ reservation), which could make your Silver status worth the mileage run.

Now, I haven't had trouble getting E+ seats so far, but it's obviously not a guarantee.

TL;DR -- if you value seating in Economy plus, and Premier Access highly, then a cheap mileage run may be well worth your money.

With regards to maximizing PQM earnings, what I usually do out of Tokyo is fly first to Singapore/HKG, then onwards to the US. This is usually cheaper than flying directly to the US and earns more PQM, but adds 10+ hours of travel time.
Keithcm likes this.

Last edited by JMBResona; Apr 2, 2018 at 2:04 am
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
I don't know how I forgot to mention this, but Premier elites also get a minimum of 500 PQM for all flights, even if actual flown mileage is under 500 miles. This could be valuable if you tend to fly short distances.
Keithcm likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Keithcm
Hey everyone,

The best benefit for you will be having E+ access at check-in, if that's sufficiently valuable to you. The only PQM bonus for a Silver is a 500 PQM min accrual. This helps me out as my travel often involves sub-500 mile segments from MCI to ORD and on to another midwestern outstation, but MCO is well over 500 miles from every UA hub so chances are good that most of your flights will earn more than the 500 PQM minimum anyway. And even if it helped you, this benefit isn't worth doing an extra mileage run for when you're going to hit Gold later anyway.
Keithcm likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond
UA MR Needed ~20K PQM

Hi all,

Departure Airport: ORD (YUL/BTV also is an option)
Miles Needed: ~20K PQM UA MP (trying to achieve *A Gold)
Current Status: none, but accumulated 18K PQM of UA MP
Required Spend or Budget: ideally <500 USD per RT
Available Travel Dates: Prefer over weekend (ex: Thu to Mon) Late April to Mid-May 2018
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA, *A

ORD-TYO-BKK:
  • There was one around $640 using C:UA+ 09-12May (Wed-Sat). Now it seems gone. Had ~20K PQM
  • There’s one with UA & NH for $686 09-12May (Wed-Sat). Gives ~18.2K PQM
ORD-SIN
  • There’s few availability in May for $817. Can find one with 20.7K PQM.
  • By routing through HNL for ~$880, can get it up to 22.5K PQM.
ORD-HKG-HGH PVG-SFO-ORD-YUL
  • For $620 27-30Apr. But will have to skip the last ORD to YUL segment.
I also looked at CGK (Jakarta) and HKG, similar prices ~$800.

Thank you for your advice
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I'm currently 60k short from Million Miler status. I don't have any business trips scheduled for this year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Departure Airport: SFO
Miles Needed: 60k
Required Spend or Budget: would like to keep it low, but am open to higher fares to get there quicker.
Available Travel Dates: entire year, but would like to be done before November.
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA

Route(s) You've Already Searched: i've looked a lot at PVG and SIN, as those were cities I've traveled a lot to for work, so am comfortable with overnighting in.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond
UA YUL-SIN RT for 660 USD + stopover in USA for ~100USD

Hi all,

Not sure if this should be on a thread by itself, but thought I would share it here at least.

I was able to find a RT fare for YUL-SIN-ORD, stopover for 5 days, ORD-YUL for 770 USD. This is about 3.4 cpm for ~22,500 pqm. Without stopover in USA, it would be about 100 USD less (~2.9 cpm). I found the dates beginning May 4th. There seems to be other dates. Not sure for other Canadian cities, though.

At first, priceline wasn't able to ticket it (using ITA Matrix and bookwithmatrix). It had multiple connecting stops. For some reason, on the next day of trying, I was able to get direct flights for same price (YUL-LAX-SIN, SIN-LAX-ORD, ORD-YUL).

Good luck if anyone is interested.
BTW any recommendations for a 1 night hotel in Singapore?

Last edited by ttyl; Apr 11, 2018 at 7:19 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: SK*G, AS*MVP75k, UA*G
Cool I need 21k miles (credited to SK) on a roundtrip.

SFO - HKG/BKK (April 30 - May 7), assume I need to fly via Europe, best fares so far seems to be Turkish for approx $1750 (should be 23k miles), T class only earns 25% with SK, the flex class makes it quite pricey.

Any great ideas on some routes that might be more fun, cheaper and more milage to be earned, I don't mind stops nor layovers, all about getting the miles, and spending a few days in HKG.

(EDIT: Flying via Ethiopia is not an option :-))

Last edited by sohb; Apr 18, 2018 at 12:16 am
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:46 am

Departure Airport: YYJ (YVR) going to WAS
Miles Needed: maximize for A3 status miles
Required Spend or Budget: Budget of around USD 400
Available Travel Dates: arrival Aug 10, 11 or 12
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: avoiding Air Canada Rouge, no N-class on United

My plan is to go from Victoria to Baltimore and would like to maximize for status miles earned with A3.

The best I have found so far is a UA-coded YYJ-YYC-SFO-EWR flight with a (zero-miles) UA-coded train to ZFV for about USD 211. This brings ~ 1917 status miles.
Another option is UA-coded YYJ-YYC-IAH IAH-BWI at ~USD 385 plus 1 hotel night in IAH for about 1980 miles.

AC-booking classes earning 50% (mind. 250 miles) start at ~USD 400, but don't bring more status miles.

I've looked at YYJ-YVR-MEX on AC, MEX-IAH on UA, IAH-BWI on UA. That would be a good deal at USD 350, but would need one hotel night each in MEX and IAH and take three days of just travelling. Not great.
I've looked at stopovers in MSY or FLL, but nothing has been a winner so far.

I'm sure one of you will have a great idea! :-)
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:17 pm

13k miles for krisflyer

hello hello- new to this since this is the first time i've been able to get close to getting status! close to getting gold with singapore KrisFlyer. already have ~25k miles earned this year, getting another ~12k for an upcoming flight on EVA, but need help with that last 12-13k for the final 50k this year... any help would be lifesaving!

Departure Airport: SEA (or other nearby airports if needed, YVR, SFO)
Miles Needed: 13k
Required Spend or Budget: $1000 max
Available Travel Dates: flexible; july, october, november, must complete by 31 dec
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: codeshares ok if in proper fare class to earn miles
Route(s) You've Already Searched: KUL, ICN, SGN, some other cities in asia (NRT, TPE)

sorry if it's vague and broad, new to all this jazz
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by strugglebus
hello hello- new to this since this is the first time i've been able to get close to getting status! close to getting gold with singapore KrisFlyer. already have ~25k miles earned this year, getting another ~12k for an upcoming flight on EVA, but need help with that last 12-13k for the final 50k this year... any help would be lifesaving!

Departure Airport: SEA (or other nearby airports if needed, YVR, SFO)
Miles Needed: 13k
Required Spend or Budget: $1000 max
Available Travel Dates: flexible; july, october, november, must complete by 31 dec
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: codeshares ok if in proper fare class to earn miles
Route(s) You've Already Searched: KUL, ICN, SGN, some other cities in asia (NRT, TPE)

sorry if it's vague and broad, new to all this jazz
not sure if the best, but by far the easiest will probably be YVR-HKG on AC. Non-stop, quick turnaround, 548USD for 12785miles, PLENTY of availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.