Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: there is not much time left in 2017, given that travel tends to be expensive around holidays. You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by sparksals
Quick Question. I booked MSP-DFW-PVG and back for a mileage run on the new Delta plane in the new premium economy. I am confused about if I need a visa for China for the short trip. I will be overnighting in Shanghai and then coming back Dec 7-9. I am Canadian citizen living and departing from US. I checked the Canadian consular page about Chinese visas, but it was so confusing. Aka if you're traveling from Canada and to a third country you don't need a visa. For this short, simple mileage run trip, overnighting in Shanghai, do I need to get a visa?
As I understand it, the answer is YES, you will need a visa because China is your final destination and not some other country.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quick Question. I booked MSP-DFW-PVG and back for a mileage run on the new Delta plane in the new premium economy. I am confused about if I need a visa for China for the short trip. I will be overnighting in Shanghai and then coming back Dec 7-9. I am Canadian citizen living and departing from US. I checked the Canadian consular page about Chinese visas, but it was so confusing. Aka if you're traveling from Canada and to a third country you don't need a visa. For this short, simple mileage run trip, overnighting in Shanghai, do I need to get a visa?
I assume you mean MSP-DTW-PVG since DL does not fly DFW-PVG. I'm pretty sure a Visa is required for this trip as you are not going to a third country from PVG (just to the US and back). You could likely buy a cheap onward ticket from PVG to some other destination (that does not require a Visa), and hopefully that would cover you. Without that, you are playing with fire and could very likely be IDB'd in DTW without a Chinese Visa.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
I assume you mean MSP-DTW-PVG since DL does not fly DFW-PVG. I'm pretty sure a Visa is required for this trip as you are not going to a third country from PVG (just to the US and back). You could likely buy a cheap onward ticket from PVG to some other destination (that does not require a Visa), and hopefully that would cover you. Without that, you are playing with fire and could very likely be IDB'd in DTW without a Chinese Visa.
MSP-DTW-PVG and back. I definitely don't want to play with fire. Any recco's for the short trip? The lady I spoke to at Delta today told me as long as I have a ticket to another country, doesn't necessarily mean I have to board the flight. Gahhh... such a mess and I don't normally screw up.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:47 am

MSP-DTW-PVG and back. I definitely don't want to play with fire. Any recco's for the short trip? The lady I spoke to at Delta today told me as long as I have a ticket to another country, doesn't necessarily mean I have to board the flight. Gahhh... such a mess and I don't normally screw up.
HKG, MFM or TPE would probably be your cheapest bet.

Have you investigated getting an expedited Chinese visa (would be good for the life of your passport)? may be cheaper than buying another ticket.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Nov 28, 2018 at 10:13 am Reason: add expedited visa
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
FALSE. Do not mess around with Chinese immigration rules. If you do not comply with the terms of your entry into China, the consequences will likely be significant to you.

The wiki in this thread
China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
is an excellent resource for the Chinese Transit Without Visa (TWOV) program.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
Do you have a Chinese Visa? It will be required unless you are transiting to a third country through PVG.
After looking at several options to transit out of China, I decided to spend the money on expediting a visa. Took 30 mins at the consulate and I pick it up tomorrow. Gonna do the PVG MR. Thanks for your help!!
JLK100 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
FALSE. Do not mess around with Chinese immigration rules. If you do not comply with the terms of your entry into China, the consequences will likely be significant to you.

The wiki in this thread
China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
is an excellent resource for the Chinese Transit Without Visa (TWOV) program.
Thank you. I did book the flight to HK using points and will take the flight. Also thank you for the wiki thread. I should know FT has everything in one place!

Last edited by sparksals; Nov 28, 2018 at 3:40 pm
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Thank You! was looking at some of the BKK options as well routing on the outbound through LAX...
Able to find anything originating out of NYC airports? That could be an option as well
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
At this time of year, it will be difficult to get the price you desire. One suggestion:

MSP-DPS (via DTW, ICN), Dec 3 - 5, over 20,000 MQMs, $1193

MSP-BKK (LAX,PVG outbound; ICN, DTW inbound), Dec 2 - 4, over 19,000 MQMs, $1024
Thank You! was looking at some of the BKK options as well routing on the outbound through LAX...
Able to find anything originating out of NYC airports? That could be an option as well
Think I would have better luck trying to swing two trips to get the MQM?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSP DL
JFK-JNB, Dec 7 - 9, $765 (Dec 2 - 4, $862)
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:45 am

ATL on DL need 7500 MQMs

I need a quick and cheap flight out of ATL that will earn me 7500 MQMs on Delta. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:31 am

JFK-JNB, Dec 7 - 9, $765 (Dec 2 - 4, $862)
Thansk Canuck_traveler!
Are there certain routings that hit the ~19k? Or which segment were you seeing for Dec 7 - 9?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by MSP DL
Thansk Canuck_traveler!
Are there certain routings that hit the ~19k? Or which segment were you seeing for Dec 7 - 9?
Actually, only 18,700 MQMs, the routing with: jfk-yul-ams-jnb-ams-jfk
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:04 am

Actually, only 18,700 MQMs, the routing with: jfk-yul-ams-jnb-ams-jfk
Thanks --- that's about what I had seen too... looking for other origins with that ~same flight combo now..
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SouthernFamily
I need a quick and cheap flight out of ATL that will earn me 7500 MQMs on Delta. Any suggestions?
GSP-ANC 12/8 - 12/9, $484.40, 7766 MQM's (via DTW/SEA).
ATL-BOS roundtrips are available from $91 (two-week advance purchase) and earn around 2K MQM's RT (so you'd have to do 4 of them). It's possible to fit two in one day.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 29, 2018 at 9:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.