Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: there is not much time left in 2017, given that travel tends to be expensive around holidays. You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Departure Airport: MSP, or ORD/MDW on 8/24 only
Miles Needed: 3,000 or 3 segments
Required Spend or Budget: as cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: Lots of dates work, but I need a same day turn. I need to get from Minneapolis to Chicago on 8/24 so I would be open to adding extra stops or a RT from Chicago that morning if that was easier as well (but I need 3 additional segments).
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Need to earn Delta MQM's

Thank you!
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Hi all! Fairly new to Skyteam (aside from some award travel on KE) but looking to match my AA PLT status over to DL Gold. I also signed up for the DL Amex Plat to help with MQM and MQD waiver aside from the fairly generous signup bonus. I have not yet submitted the status challenge, so that the clock doesn't start until I have a better idea of my travel plans for the next 90 days.

Departure Airport: LGA/HPN/JFK (and even EWR if need be)
Miles Needed: 12.5K MQM
Required Spend or Budget: $1500 MQD
Available Travel Dates: Fri evenings and weekends preferred, but will take a weekday off from work if need be
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Not applicable for challenge?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by travel_mav
Hi all! Fairly new to Skyteam (aside from some award travel on KE) but looking to match my AA PLT status over to DL Gold. I also signed up for the DL Amex Plat to help with MQM and MQD waiver aside from the fairly generous signup bonus. I have not yet submitted the status challenge, so that the clock doesn't start until I have a better idea of my travel plans for the next 90 days.

Departure Airport: LGA/HPN/JFK (and even EWR if need be)
Miles Needed: 12.5K MQM
Required Spend or Budget: $1500 MQD
Available Travel Dates: Fri evenings and weekends preferred, but will take a weekday off from work if need be
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Not applicable for challenge?
Two trips to Kona (KOA) from JFK should get you the needed MQM and MQD. Prices from JFK - KOA are starting in the $600's on immediate turns in September (out Saturday, get back Sunday). Select one trip in main cabin and one in economy comfort should do it.
travel_mav likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:46 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Departure Airport: SFO/OAK preferred, but can reposition to LAX/PDX/SEA
Miles Needed: n/a
Required Spend or Budget: $1040 MQD required; real dollar budget is ideally less than that
Available Travel Dates: I'm flexible between Fridays-Mondays
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Trying to maximize DL MQDs, so I suspect a partner-marketed flight might be the way to go? (In the past I've only flown DL-marketed flights, so I'm new to how partner earning works)
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by ryw
Departure Airport: SFO/OAK preferred, but can reposition to LAX/PDX/SEA
Miles Needed: n/a
Required Spend or Budget: $1040 MQD required; real dollar budget is ideally less than that
Available Travel Dates: I'm flexible between Fridays-Mondays
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Trying to maximize DL MQDs, so I suspect a partner-marketed flight might be the way to go? (In the past I've only flown DL-marketed flights, so I'm new to how partner earning works)
For partner-marketed flights, MQD is calculated based on a percentage of the miles flown. The percentage will depend on the class of fare. As an example, for SFO-PVG-SIN-PVG-SFO on China Eastern on Nov. 2 - 4 for $514:
- SFO - PVG is a "T" class fare which earns MQD at 5% of distance flown
- PVG - SIN is a "B" class fare which earns MQD at 20% of distance flown.
- you would earn 6148 (SF0-PVG) x 2 x 5% + 2377 (PVG-SIN) x 2 x 20% = 614.8 + 950.8 = 1565.6 MQD

You will need to take a look at the Delta chart for each of the different airlines to get the % for the different fare classes.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Jul 30, 2018 at 12:58 pm Reason: change sample to November flight
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:35 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
For partner-marketed flights, MQD is calculated based on a percentage of the miles flown. The percentage will depend on the class of fare. As an example, for SFO-PVG-SIN-PVG-SFO on China Eastern on Nov. 2 - 4 for $514:
- SFO - PVG is a "T" class fare which earns MQD at 5% of distance flown
- PVG - SIN is a "B" class fare which earns MQD at 20% of distance flown.
- you would earn 6148 (SF0-PVG) x 2 x 5% + 2377 (PVG-SIN) x 2 x 20% = 614.8 + 950.8 = 1565.6 MQD

You will need to take a look at the Delta chart for each of the different airlines to get the % for the different fare classes.
Thanks. Is there a reliable way to see what Delta calculates as distance flown? Is that just the "base miles" that Delta shows under estimated MQD/MQM if I were to book through Delta's website?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by ryw
Thanks. Is there a reliable way to see what Delta calculates as distance flown? Is that just the "base miles" that Delta shows under estimated MQD/MQM if I were to book through Delta's website?
There are several tools that are pretty close to the distance flown calculations - Great Circle Mapper, Webflyer mileage calculator, Unofficial Skymiles Calculator
ryw likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta DM
I decided I'm gonna do day trips to LAX from ATL for mileage runs. cheaper than SEA and most miles for $.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum, IHG Diamond, AA Plat Pro
Just realized that I have 3 Delta flights coming up this year, which will get me to the required MQM for Silver, but not the required MQD. Not sure if Silver is worth going for though?

Departure Airport: NYC (JFK/EWR/LGA)
Miles Needed: N/A
Required Spend or Budget: Need about 2k MQD, but as cheaply if possible
Available Travel Dates: Weekends only. Don't have any vacation days left this year, and not available Nov 21-Dec 4.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Anything to get the MQD

Last edited by linke3; Aug 3, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by linke3
Just realized that I have 3 Delta flights coming up this year, which will get me to the required MQM for Silver, but not the required MQD. Not sure if Silver is worth going for though?

Departure Airport: NYC (JFK/EWR/LGA)
Miles Needed: N/A
Required Spend or Budget: Need about 2k MQD, but as cheaply if possible
Available Travel Dates: Weekends only. Don't have any vacation days left this year, and not available Nov 21-Dec 4.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Anything to get the MQD
A cheap AeroMexico business fare would meet your needs. Here's JFK-MEX-CUN for $791 on 11/03:

asian_crossfitter likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott PE
A couple of my business trips got cancelled or postponed to 2019, so about 20K short for Platinum. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Departure Airport: BOS
Miles Needed: 20K
Required Spend or Budget: as cost effective as possible
Available Travel Dates: November, mid to end of December 2018
Required Metal or Codeshares: any to maximize MQMs
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: DL PL
Departure Airport: SEA or YVR
Miles Needed: 6,984 (Gold 2019) or 31,984 (PL 2019) (MQDs currently at $8690)
Required Spend or Budget: MQDs met for Gold, need $310 for PL
Available Travel Dates: Any time. Prefer to get the trip done over the weekend.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Whatever that can be to Gold or PL the quickest.

Thanks
Dan
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nikko4me
A couple of my business trips got cancelled or postponed to 2019, so about 20K short for Platinum. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Departure Airport: BOS
Miles Needed: 20K
Required Spend or Budget: as cost effective as possible
Available Travel Dates: November, mid to end of December 2018
Required Metal or Codeshares: any to maximize MQMs
BOS-SIN, from $854 roundtrip.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danz75
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Whatever that can be to Gold or PL the quickest.

Thanks
Dan
You can do SEA-LAX-HNL/LIH-LAX-SEA for about $449 roundtrip ($539 in main cabin). Just over 7000 MQM's. Can't earn 32K MQM's in a weekend.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by danz75

Thanks
Dan
Not sure if you can fly from PDX. If you can, look at PDX-JFK-SJU, R/T around $450 leaving Friday. During the week $338. One day turnover. ~8100 MQM

From SEA, same route $474 leaving Friday return Saturday. Multiple dates. ~8040 MQM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.