Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: there is not much time left in 2017, given that travel tends to be expensive around holidays. You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Grogs
Departure Airport: TYS (Could use miles to position to ATL)
Miles Needed: ~ 10k MQM
Required Spend or Budget: Need ~ $1200MQD (no hard budget, but want to get the MQM&MQD as cheaply as possible)
Available Travel Dates: Aug-Oct or Dec.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshares OK

Looking to hit PM and based on trips I have planned so far I would need ~10k MQM and 1200MQD. Credit card waiver isn't realistic for the MQD based on my spending. I have at most 1 extra day of vacation to work with, so I would need to travel Fri-Mon.
Take a look at a run to Hawaii. e.g. TYS-ATL-HNL-ATL-TYS will get you around 10,000 miles. Prices range from $1200 (May) to $900 (Sept) for a Saturday departure and immediate return. Check on Delta (flexible date search).
Old May 18, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
Take a look at a run to Hawaii. e.g. TYS-ATL-HNL-ATL-TYS will get you around 10,000 miles. Prices range from $1200 (May) to $900 (Sept) for a Saturday departure and immediate return. Check on Delta (flexible date search).
Nice. I think the direct ATL-HNL is 4502 miles, so with the 500 for TYS-ATL the round trip would be 10,004 MQM. I might have to buy up to C+ to hit the MQD on the cheaper options, which would probably be a good thing for a day and a half of flights and airports.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:10 pm

Departure Airport:BWI, DCA, IAD
Miles Needed: 100
Required Spend or Budget: As cheap as possible prefer a same day turn unless its Florida or Vegas.
Available Travel Dates: Any Friday, Saturday or Sunday from now until June 22.

I orphaned 40,000 miles from my first attempted redemption 2 years ago in the Flying Flue program. The are set to expire at the end of June and I don't have any Skyteam flights planned. I would like to do a DL run with a same day turn to anywhere for a minimum amount of money to reset their expiration. So far JFK seems like the best option but I hoped the masters here might see something I haven't.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by challenger818
Departure Airport:BWI, DCA, IAD
Miles Needed: 100
Required Spend or Budget: As cheap as possible prefer a same day turn unless its Florida or Vegas.
Available Travel Dates: Any Friday, Saturday or Sunday from now until June 22.

I orphaned 40,000 miles from my first attempted redemption 2 years ago in the Flying Flue program. The are set to expire at the end of June and I don't have any Skyteam flights planned. I would like to do a DL run with a same day turn to anywhere for a minimum amount of money to reset their expiration. So far JFK seems like the best option but I hoped the masters here might see something I haven't.
Look at flights to Atlanta, New York or Detroit. Same day turns for your flying day specifications have prices between $175 - $200 depending on date. Some week day runs are as low as $120. Use Delta Flexible date search.
Old May 27, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
NYC MR

Departure Airport: LGA/JFK/EWR preferred maybe PHL
Miles Needed: 20K MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: $600-800. MQD's not relevant.
Available Travel Dates: Aug 30-Sept 2nd or Oct 4-8. days are flexible but looking to take advantage of 3 day weekend
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Delta preferred. Skyteam OK.

Hoping for a quick trip to Asia back and forth. PVG not bad at $850 plus $140 for visa. any other ideas you people see?

THANK YOU
Old May 28, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mridley2
Departure Airport: LGA/JFK/EWR preferred maybe PHL
Miles Needed: 20K MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: $600-800. MQD's not relevant.
Available Travel Dates: Aug 30-Sept 2nd or Oct 4-8. days are flexible but looking to take advantage of 3 day weekend
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Delta preferred. Skyteam OK.

Hoping for a quick trip to Asia back and forth. PVG not bad at $850 plus $140 for visa. any other ideas you people see?

THANK YOU
For,10/4 - 10/8: NYC-HKG $850 in main cabin, NYC-SIN $837 in BE (add $100 for main cabin).
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:01 am

What’s a rough cost to go from a new DL member to a Gold or Plat level by doing status runs? Few Thousand?

Anyone gone the Virgin Australia Avenue? I played with some numbers and routes and can reach Virgin Gold for less than $1000 by flying some internal domestic routes on the higher earning Comfort+.. I assume Delta matches Virgin Gold levels of benefits, which is really a cheap hack to rack up Delta status.

Last edited by GO_CAT; Jun 2, 2018 at 5:12 am
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GO_CAT
What’s a rough cost to go from a new DL member to a Gold or Plat level by doing status runs? Few Thousand?

Anyone gone the Virgin Australia Avenue? I played with some numbers and routes and can reach Virgin Gold for less than $1000 by flying some internal domestic routes on the higher earning Comfort+.. I assume Delta matches Virgin Gold levels of benefits, which is really a cheap hack to rack up Delta status.
DL Comfort+ fares do not earn a MQM bonus when crediting to DL Skymiles. You will not find any "cheap hacks" via that route. Cheapest route would likely be Virgin Atlantic Economy Delight fares from LAX/SFO to JNB. You could make DL Gold with a couple roundtrip flights for around $1100 each. I don't understand your comment about having Virgin Gold status, it won't get you upgrades on DL domestic flights and won't help you get DL status any faster.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:47 am

BOS, JFK, MHT, PWM, PVD or DTW MR

Departure Airport: BOS, JFK, MHT, PWM, PVD or DTW (I can depart and return to any of these locations)
Miles Needed: As many as possible - hoping for 18k +
Required Spend or Budget: $1500
Available Travel Dates: Night June 26 - July 3rd 2018
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Yes as long as I can select seats with my current platinum DL status.

Would like to try to get ANC in there somehow but not necessary. As my passport is renewing I need to keep domestic. Thanks to all!
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
DL Comfort+ fares do not earn a MQM bonus when crediting to DL Skymiles. You will not find any "cheap hacks" via that route. Cheapest route would likely be Virgin Atlantic Economy Delight fares from LAX/SFO to JNB. You could make DL Gold with a couple roundtrip flights for around $1100 each. I don't understand your comment about having Virgin Gold status, it won't get you upgrades on DL domestic flights and won't help you get DL status any faster.
Sorry was referring to VA not VS. Virgin Australia Gold Velocity Members get the following which is very attractive:
  • Priority Check-in
  • Priority Boarding
  • Priority Baggage
  • Priority Screening
  • Delta Air Lines Lounge Access
  • Members can request a complimentary upgrade to Delta Comfort+™ offering dedicated overhead space, extra legroom, premium snacks on longer flights, complimentary beer, wine and spirits and complimentary premium entertainment with Delta Studio™.
  • Additional Checked Baggage Allowance - Receive the same allowance as Delta Gold Medallion members.
I can fly DCA-BOS via NYC in Comfort+ which earns 30 Virgin Status Credits each leg for $200 return. That’s 120 Status credits return in total, Virgin Gold I need 500 SC. I trick I’ve picked up on is Virgin Australia class Comfort+ as ‘Premium Economy’ which earns high SC, and connections are included as ‘separate’ flights which seal the deal. So essentially I can get Virgin Australia Gold for $800 odd if you choose your routes carefully.

Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by ambene
Departure Airport: BOS, JFK, MHT, PWM, PVD or DTW (I can depart and return to any of these locations)
Miles Needed: As many as possible - hoping for 18k +
Required Spend or Budget: $1500
Available Travel Dates: Night June 26 - July 3rd 2018
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Yes as long as I can select seats with my current platinum DL status.

Would like to try to get ANC in there somehow but not necessary. As my passport is renewing I need to keep domestic. Thanks to all!
A NYC-KOA run will get you about 10,000 miles. Delta flexible search (screenshot) below shows prices in the $710 range (basic economy) for your dates (same day turn). Arrival back in NYC next day. Doing two trips (e.g. 27 and 2) in basic economy will get you the miles desired in the $1500 range. Similar prices from BOS.

NYC - KOA immediate turn
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:37 am

Departure Airport: NYC (JFK is 1st choice)
Miles Needed: As many as possible
Required Spend or Budget: up to $1000 for prem. economy or $2500 for delta one/business
Available Travel Dates: Any weekend or holiday in 2018

I have been able to keep my Gold status for the past three yrs and now I want make a push for Platinum or Diamond.
As of end of May I am already at $2K MQDs and 40K MQMs.
I have read on other sections of this forum that there's a way to book AF/KLM prem economy and get additional MQDs but I haven't understood how this works. Any explanations will be more than welcome!

Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On partner marketed flights, MQD's are calculated as a percentage of distance flown, rather than dollars spent. See partner charts on delta.com, the info is all pretty much there (you have to click on the boxes that say "Mileage earn on/after..", they are pop-up charts) -- https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
On partner marketed flights, MQD's are calculated as a percentage of distance flown, rather than dollars spent. See partner charts on delta.com, the info is all pretty much there (you have to click on the boxes that say "Mileage earn on/after..", they are pop-up charts) -- https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html.
thank you @LBJ - let me also know if you have any ideas in regards with MR from JFK.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JFK-FRA is available from $2800 on weekends in Business, and $1487 in premium economy on AF. If you have more than a weekend, VS Economy Delight to JNB can be had from $1000 roundtrip (equivalent to DL Comfort+).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.