Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: there is not much time left in 2017, given that travel tends to be expensive around holidays. You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:23 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
due to rearranging travel and losing a premium economy trip internationally, i'm going to be about 300 miles short of 75K.

are there any super cheap ways to get a few MQM without flying? MQD is no issue.

i can fly round trip to LAX for ~$110 and 4 hours of my time on a Saturday which I value at least at $100/hour. so, anything less than $500 is fine if it doesn't involve getting on a plane.

caveat, i don't want to get a credit card and have to spend my way to it, as i am currently spending my way to a bonus on my AMEX Plat which will take me into mid-December.
There's usually a year-end offer for 250 MQMs for a Hilton stay.

I'm sure you've already considered FCM on any remaining flights this year...
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by bergamini
Is it $1800 more or $1800 for the ticket? What's the price difference between Y and F on this route? And would you take this trip otherwise?

I would say, in general, that Silver (a/k/a "FO") would definitely not be worth $1800. TPG values Silver at $815. If you'd only take the trip to get FO, then I'd not do it and save that money for buying first class tickets/upgrades and paying baggage or preferred seat fees. If it's a $1200 Y ticket and an $1800 F ticket and you are going to take the trip regardless, then I'd probably do it. But anything > $600 to me makes getting Silver not worth it.
Thank you! It's $1800 for the ticket- First Class, class A, sorry.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Zorak
There's usually a year-end offer for 250 MQMs for a Hilton stay.

I'm sure you've already considered FCM on any remaining flights this year...
i only have one flight with a possible FCM offer, which would only give me 250 miles (SMF-LAX one way) and I need 300 all of my remaining travel is INTL and cost prohibitive to FCM (or JCM as it may be).

i could rebook my LAX-SMF one way return on the above using $$ and get 500 miles out of it, but would thus throw away my SkyMiles ticket which was 5500 or 6000 miles I believe. i won't yet have PM status at the time i cancel it to get the miles back, so it would be a throw away scenario. while that significantly annoys me, it might be the least painful/expensive solution.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
i only have one flight with a possible FCM offer, which would only give me 250 miles (SMF-LAX one way) and I need 300
SDC to add a segment, and/or FCM for easier SDC would do it then.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by wanderlust36
Hi all,

Thinking of doing the MSP to HNL run over Thanksgiving (using Delta One/First Class). It would give me enough MQM and MQD to get to Silver status. DH travels frequently for work and already has Silver. We currently have a discussion if it's worth it for me to get Silver. Most of the time I travel with him, but will have at least two trips without him next year. Is it worth spending $1800 to get to this status level? Thanks in advance for your advice!
Not even remotely worth it for a mileage run alone (different if you are going to make a trip out of it). Silver barely gets you anything for starters. You could apply that $1800 to buy F or J fares for your two upcoming trips and get all of the silver benefits plus more. Or you could just get an American Express Platinum for a complimentary set of benefits for just $550/yr.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Pat89339
In order to organize the end-of-year crush of Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread for the airlines with the most frequent requests. This is the thread for Delta Airlines.

For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport: DTW
Miles Needed: 18,000
Required Spend or Budget:1500.00
Available Travel Dates:11/8-11/15, 12/11-12/15
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:

For each response. Please quote the original request.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SDC to add a segment, and/or FCM for easier SDC would do it then.
FCM + SDC would do it, but as SMF-LAX and vv is on the end of a VA ticket LAX-CHC in Y, my tolerance for additional segments at either end of that trip is going to be non-existent (read - the tolerance of my gf for additional segments will be non-existent).

will likely just do the quick LAX or SEA turn, unfortunately. i'd SDC my Saturday SMF-SEA-AMS to an ATL connection, but we know I can't do that

is it possible to SDC a domestic connection on the end of an INTL trip upon disembarking the INTL segment...ie change CDG-SLC-SMF to CDG-SLC-LAX-SMF?

need to also pay attn to the Hilton thing, as FCM + Hilton would be 500 and get me there.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:52 pm

is it possible to SDC a domestic connection on the end of an INTL trip upon disembarking the INTL segment...ie change CDG-SLC-SMF to CDG-SLC-LAX-SMF?
This seems generally possible (and I've done it at ATL) -- the general advice is to do it at the desk after exiting customs but before the bag drop-off (if applicable) because they'll have to be re-tagged.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: SkyTeam (Delta), Marriott
Departure Airport: ATL but could do any airport in the SE US or Midwest probably
Miles Needed: 19,000
Required Spend or Budget: Up to $2K but prefer $1.5K or less
Available Travel Dates: Late Nov, early Dec
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: as someone else said, whatever gets me the MQMs; would prefer premium cabin or better if that were possible but not required
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:18 pm

Departure Airport: MSP
Miles Needed: 10,750 to Gold Medallion
Required Spend or Budget: $1000 or less, only need $163 on Delta Amex for Gold MQDs
Available Travel Dates: Nov 23/24/25, NOv 28 - 30, Anytime Dec 4 thru 12.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Delta or codeshares
Currently Silver Medallion so close to Gold
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
Departure Airport: YVR (can reposition to SEA)
Miles Needed: 22k Flying blue status miles (can earn 2 status miles per € spent on AF and KL website)
Required Spend or Budget: Max around USD 2500
Available Travel Dates: Any weekend in Nov - Dec
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Any Skyteam member
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:40 am

yvr-msp-ams-jnb-ams-msp-yvr gives just over 22,000 miles for $1816 Canadian

e.g. Dec. 16 - 18

Bookable on Delta. Various weekend dates

Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
Departure Airport: YVR (can reposition to SEA)
Miles Needed: 22k Flying blue status miles (can earn 2 status miles per € spent on AF and KL website)
Required Spend or Budget: Max around USD 2500
Available Travel Dates: Any weekend in Nov - Dec
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Any Skyteam member
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:55 am

A possible option is two trips to Fairbanks.

msp-sea-fai-sea-msp gives about 5900 miles

Various dates between Dec 1 - 12 for $358 e.g. Dec 5 - 6

Bookable on Delta

Second option: Mileage run to SIN via Detroit on the new A350 Dec 5 - 7 for $1053

Originally Posted by sparksals
Departure Airport: MSP
Miles Needed: 10,750 to Gold Medallion
Required Spend or Budget: $1000 or less, only need $163 on Delta Amex for Gold MQDs
Available Travel Dates: Nov 23/24/25, NOv 28 - 30, Anytime Dec 4 thru 12.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Delta or codeshares
Currently Silver Medallion so close to Gold

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Oct 19, 2017 at 1:01 am
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
A possible option is two trips to Fairbanks.

msp-sea-fai-sea-msp gives about 5900 miles

Various dates between Dec 1 - 12 for $358 e.g. Dec 5 - 6

Bookable on Delta

Second option: Mileage run to SIN via Detroit on the new A350 Dec 5 - 7 for $1053
TY!

Editing to add: I calculated miles to YYC where I am going in Nov. On the miles calculator app online, it says it is about 1065 miles, but my past trips to YYC from MSP have been about 1565. I don't want to miss this by a hair, so do the miles typically work out to be similar on different trips?

Last edited by sparksals; Oct 19, 2017 at 11:58 am Reason: added more info
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This seems generally possible (and I've done it at ATL) -- the general advice is to do it at the desk after exiting customs but before the bag drop-off (if applicable) because they'll have to be re-tagged.
I stupidly forgot that SMF-LAX is 373 miles and didn't round up to 500. So, it turns out I was only going to be around 200 miles short as planned. Took the $41 FC buyup on that flight into G class and pending no further changes to travel, I will end the year at 75,055 MQM ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.