Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: there is not much time left in 2017, given that travel tends to be expensive around holidays. You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:59 am

So I’m in a pickle:

Due to some last minute travel arrangements, I’m 8K MQMs from gold and wondering whether I should go for platinum.

Departure Airport: YVR, but can make it to SEA if it offers better cpm. One way flights is okay as long as they end on the east coast
Miles Needed: 8K/31k, will consider any route including premium fares for long-haul flights.
Required Spend or Budget: No real limit, but looking for best cpm.
Available Travel Dates: Anytime between now and the end of the year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: DL/ any that offers MQMs.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:52 am

YVR-PVG-SIN-PVG-YVR on China Eastern

Various dates between now and end of year in $700 range (e.g. Nov 18 - 20 for $687 CDN) and earning about 18,000 miles. Bookable on Expedia.ca

Similar prices to other Asian destinations (e.g. Bangkok) for a few less miles

Originally Posted by bxio
So I’m in a pickle:

Due to some last minute travel arrangements, I’m 8K MQMs from gold and wondering whether I should go for platinum.

Departure Airport: YVR, but can make it to SEA if it offers better cpm. One way flights is okay as long as they end on the east coast
Miles Needed: 8K/31k, will consider any route including premium fares for long-haul flights.
Required Spend or Budget: No real limit, but looking for best cpm.
Available Travel Dates: Anytime between now and the end of the year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: DL/ any that offers MQMs.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:43 pm

Mileage Run from Seattle

Departure Airport: SEA
Miles Needed: 20K-25K
Required Spend or Budget: $1500
Available Travel Dates: Oct-Nov- until mid-Dec
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshare okay

Appreciate the help.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, UAL Silver
Departure Airport: ATL
Miles Needed: 14,000
Required Spend or Budget: 600
Available Travel Dates: Friday 9/29
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Sure
Hey all,

So I'm trying to get a few more miles to qualify for PM this year. I'm a corporate pilot living in Atlanta, and I have to position a lot to other airports, most frequently up to IAD. I've done ATL-DFW-SLC-IAD before, and also the return IAD-MSP-DFW-ATL. It's just getting to be so difficult to find cheap fares out of Atlanta, and I'm brand new to the whole mileage run thing. If there's anything cheap out of Atlanta I can do on one of my off days that would be awesome, but I'd also like to get creative with the ATL-IAD routing too so I can get my company to pay for it!

Thanks so much!!!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by comet2404
Hey all,

So I'm trying to get a few more miles to qualify for PM this year. I'm a corporate pilot living in Atlanta, and I have to position a lot to other airports, most frequently up to IAD. I've done ATL-DFW-SLC-IAD before, and also the return IAD-MSP-DFW-ATL. It's just getting to be so difficult to find cheap fares out of Atlanta, and I'm brand new to the whole mileage run thing. If there's anything cheap out of Atlanta I can do on one of my off days that would be awesome, but I'd also like to get creative with the ATL-IAD routing too so I can get my company to pay for it!

Thanks so much!!!
I hope you're not thinking you can fly 14K miles in a single day? Unless you are on a full F fare (2x MQM's), that just not possible. And full F is going to cost a lot more than $600. That's going to pretty much take a 3 day weekend and you really want to buy at least 2 - 3 weeks in advance. ATL-DXB can found for $870, but it requires an immediate turn just to fit in a 3 day weekend.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, UAL Silver
Originally Posted by LBJ
I hope you're not thinking you can fly 14K miles in a single day? Unless you are on a full F fare (2x MQM's), that just not possible. And full F is going to cost a lot more than $600. That's going to pretty much take a 3 day weekend and you really want to buy at least 2 - 3 weeks in advance. ATL-DXB can found for $870, but it requires an immediate turn just to fit in a 3 day weekend.
Oh no, not in a single day. I'd do a HKG trip, or somewhere else to get the miles though if I were on a few days off. I have an ATL-SNA-ATL trip coming up on 11/16-11/20. I'd consider doing any other SoCal airport and doing a funky routing if I had to.

What I'd really like to know is if there are any routes from Atlanta that I can use going to and from IAD that may be beneficial in helping me get those 14K that I need by years end. My second option would be to do a couple of day trips from ATL.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG/Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Pat89339
In order to organize the end-of-year crush of Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread for the airlines with the most frequent requests. This is the thread for Delta Airlines.

For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:

For each response. Please quote the original request.
Departure Airport: ATL
Miles Needed:15000
Required Spend or Budget: < $2000
Available Travel Dates: Weekends in December or December 26-31
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: For DL. No preference just earns MQMs

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by cjwalker199; Sep 26, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:12 pm

Make it up to YVR and take the YVR-PVG-SIN-PVG-YVR on China Eastern!

Originally Posted by mahmoud.bishr
Departure Airport: SEA
Miles Needed: 20K-25K
Required Spend or Budget: $1500
Available Travel Dates: Oct-Nov- until mid-Dec
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshare okay

Appreciate the help.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; DL Gold; UA Silver; IHG Plat; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
MR from Bay Area SFO/ SJC

Thanks in advance! Never flew Delta / ST much ever in my life until now. Somehow found myself closest to getting next tier on Delta. Currently Silver needing 9200 MQM and 666 MQD to hit gold.

Departure Airport: SFO / SJC and can position to LAX or SEA as well
Miles Needed: 9200 MQM
Required Spend or Budget: 666 MQD, ideally spend around that.
Available Travel Dates: not working at the moment so am flexible
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: no restrictions as long as i get enough mqm and mqd. although i'd prefer to avoid China Eastern / Southern they probably have the best long haul flights to get the miles and hit the MQD based on % of distance i presume?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:16 pm

SFO-SEA-HKG-SEA-SFO on Delta

Several dates for $700 or $750 between now and end-November (e.g. depart Saturday, return Monday) which will net about 14,000 miles. Bookable on Delta website.

Originally Posted by homeone
Thanks in advance! Never flew Delta / ST much ever in my life until now. Somehow found myself closest to getting next tier on Delta. Currently Silver needing 9200 MQM and 666 MQD to hit gold.

Departure Airport: SFO / SJC and can position to LAX or SEA as well
Miles Needed: 9200 MQM
Required Spend or Budget: 666 MQD, ideally spend around that.
Available Travel Dates: not working at the moment so am flexible
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: no restrictions as long as i get enough mqm and mqd. although i'd prefer to avoid China Eastern / Southern they probably have the best long haul flights to get the miles and hit the MQD based on % of distance i presume?
homeone likes this.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Sep 26, 2017 at 11:28 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by comet2404
Oh no, not in a single day. I'd do a HKG trip, or somewhere else to get the miles though if I were on a few days off. I have an ATL-SNA-ATL trip coming up on 11/16-11/20. I'd consider doing any other SoCal airport and doing a funky routing if I had to.

What I'd really like to know is if there are any routes from Atlanta that I can use going to and from IAD that may be beneficial in helping me get those 14K that I need by years end. My second option would be to do a couple of day trips from ATL.
ITA Matrix is generally the best tool using the advanced controls. Specify "DL DL DL" which will search for 3 hop trips on DL and in the extension box you can use something like "minmiles 2000" which will only show options that are 2000 miles or more.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:16 pm

Departure Airport: LAX
Miles Needed: 20,000
Required Spend or Budget: 1,000
Available Travel Dates: leave on 11/6 or 7th can be gone until 17th
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: any that get full MQM
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:58 pm

During that timeframe Delta has LAX-SEA-NRT-SIN-NRT-SEA-LAX for between $811 - $1000 (e.g. Nov 6 - 8) which would net you about 18,000 miles.

Alternatively, you can fly China Eastern LAX-PVG-SIN-PVG-LAX (e.g. Nov 6 - 8, 7 - 9) starting at $481 and just under 20,000 miles (if you get the B class fares within Asia.) Bookable on Expedia.com

A little beach getaway to Phuket, Thailand LAX-PVG-HKT-PVG-LAX is also in the $480 price range on China Eastern.

Originally Posted by drakethecake

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Sep 27, 2017 at 1:07 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by drakethecake
Building on canuck_traveler's ideas, LGA-DTW-NRT-SIN-NRT-DTW-LGA out 11/8 return 11/10 is $430, 20420 miles.
Or how about LAX-SEA-NRT-SIN-NRT-DTW-LGA same days for $503, 19244 miles. Add a one way LGA-LAX and you'll be over 20000.

Last edited by jbeckett; Sep 27, 2017 at 5:00 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jbeckett
Building on canuck_traveler's ideas, LGA-DTW-NRT-SIN-NRT-DTW-LGA out 11/8 return 11/10 is $430, 20420 miles.
Do you have a link to this one? I can't seem to replicate. Nevermind I found it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.