Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sb_2958
Departure Airport(s): MIA, FLL
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 5,000
EQDs Needed: $800
Max Budget: $350ish, flexible
Available Travel Dates: Dec 7 - Dec 21
Max # Travel Nights: 2 - 4 nights
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA preferred, but whatever maximizes with EQM and EQD
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): No

Considering the EURO and GBP is down against the dollar, it would be ideal to take advantage to include these destinations but not necessary. I'd rather leave warm Miami for same or slightly colder vs. FREEZING!
Can you leave on Dec 6th? AA Vacations MIA to Madrid can be done for around $522 for air and hotel. Depart on Dec 6th and return on Dec 8th. Flights are nonstop on Iberia, books into O* class so that is 10% EQDs based on distance. So about $884 EQDs. Good luck!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I'd like to make a general observation, not aimed at just this request. People are asking for trips which earn more EQD than spend and cost less than $1000.

To meet the first goal, you have to earn distance-based; so, fly a partner, find a cheap AAVacation which earns dist (not all do), or get lucky and get it for reasons not under your control
If you fly a partner for under $1000, such flights can be found if you're flexible on dates, routing, and maybe overnight stays; but then you're going to be in discount Economy or maybe even BE, earning .5x EQM and .15 EQD at best, so factor that into your calculations
PE or higher on a partner for under $1000 is ... well, I want say impossible, but who knows
This is a great general observation. And I agree 100%.

Another general thing to keep in mind, especially as the end of the year is approaching, is that in some cases, it might just be more worthwhile to purchase the status outright from AA.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by matt85
I'll be at year-end at 148,5xx EQM. Would a mini-MR for to get 1,500 EQM be worth it for the 2x additional Systemwide Upgrades?
I see they're valued at $500 at One Mile At A Time, which seems high, but still, I think it would be achievable for about $200 and a day's worth of 3 short legs.
Any thoughts? Thanks!
If you think there's a good chance that you will use the 2 extra SWUs, then I think doing a mini-MR to get to 150K would be worth it.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:26 pm

Need MR to hit Exec Platinum in American

Departure Airport(s): DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 8500
EQDs Needed: $800
Max Budget: upto $800
Available Travel Dates: Dec 14 -16, Dec 21 - Dec 30
Max # Travel Nights: 1 night
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA preferred, but whatever maximizes with EQM and EQD
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): No
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:02 pm

Departure Airport(s): DFW, DAL, IAH
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 3644 EQMs or 4.5 Segments
EQDs Needed: N/A
Max Budget: $200 for one way, more details below
Available Travel Dates: 12/14-12/19
Max # Travel Nights: 5
AA only, or Partners Okay: Whatever works!
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

I am based in DFW but plan to travel to Houston for work during December. My thought is to parlay a mileage run plus trip to/from Houston together to be able to expense half of the flight for work. I am pretty flexible on dates and locations.

Best option I have found thus far to fly DFW > BOS > DFW > IAH > DFW, which would net 4124 EQMs. I would prefer to fly to PHL because they have a nonstop from PHL to IAH but it would earn a painfully annoying 3604 EQMs leaving me 40 EQMs short.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: American Airlines
Help with a Mileage Run for American Airlines

Hello,
I am platinum in AA but I would like to reach executive platinum this year. I finish work Dec6 and I have to fligh to Europe the Dec 13 from JFK. So I need a long mileage run. I have Spaniard passport and I can tramit chinese visa if needed.
Departure Airport(s):LAX
EQMs or EQSs Needed:45k
EQDs Needed:4000
Max Budget:3000
Available Travel Datesec7-Dec12
Max # Travel Nights:5
AA only, or Partners Okay:Y
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):N
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:33 pm

Departure Airport(s): NYC, PHL
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10,000 EQMs
EQDs Needed: NA
Max Budget: $1000
Available Travel Dates: any weekend til end of year
Max # Travel Nights: 2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Whatever works
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y

I could do JFK-LAX or JFK-SFO roundtrip twice, but trying to find a way to do it for less money / time.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:36 am

Need EQM MR to hit Platinum

Departure Airport(s): DFW, IAH
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 3512 EQMs
EQDs Needed: N/S
Max Budget: $750
Available Travel Dates: 11/16/20, 11/25-30, 12/7-9, 12/30-31
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA only

I am so close to Platinum I want to go for it and I'm not sure work travel budget will give me the opportunity for business travel between now and year end. Looking to qualify for Platinum, as I'm only ~3500 EQMs away (10.5k EQDs). I split time between DFW and Houston (IAH) so could depart either but highly prefer DFW where my primary residence is.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jason Kennemer
Departure Airport(s): DFW, IAH
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 3512 EQMs
EQDs Needed: N/S
Max Budget: $750
Available Travel Dates: 11/16/20, 11/25-30, 12/7-9, 12/30-31
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA only

I am so close to Platinum I want to go for it and I'm not sure work travel budget will give me the opportunity for business travel between now and year end. Looking to qualify for Platinum, as I'm only ~3500 EQMs away (10.5k EQDs). I split time between DFW and Houston (IAH) so could depart either but highly prefer DFW where my primary residence is.
Do a same day run from DFW to CLT in First will earn 2x EQMs and enough for what you need. Seems to be lots of dates well under your budget. One example... https://goo.gl/flights/54CYA
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by tigerOS318
I could do JFK-LAX or JFK-SFO roundtrip twice, but trying to find a way to do it for less money / time.
You can also go to Hawaii! Here's one itinerary I found:
https://goo.gl/flights/rqaHw

If you play around with dates you may be able to get the price down a bit.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Borja

That's a tough one. Best I could find (for one trip) is LAX-HKG-AKL in CX PE:
https://goo.gl/flights/HX7oM

That would give you just over 38k EQM and about $5k EQD. So you'd need another trip for the other ~7k EQM.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
That's a tough one. Best I could find (for one trip) is LAX-HKG-AKL in CX PE:
https://goo.gl/flights/HX7oM

That would give you just over 38k EQM and about $5k EQD. So you'd need another trip for the other ~7k EQM.
At less than $500 a pop you could book AA vacations from LAX or SAN to PEK/PVG routing thru MIA and earn about 18K EQM and $1800 EQD per trip. Plus you'd earn a motherload of RDM because of the Asia promotion of 20k miles per trip. So for roughly $1500 you'd get about 54k EQM and $5400 EQD and over 100k RDM. But you'd have some painful weekends ahead of you in Y!! Start learning Chinese tonight!
aztimm likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Borja
Hello,
I am platinum in AA but I would like to reach executive platinum this year. I finish work Dec6 and I have to fligh to Europe the Dec 13 from JFK. So I need a long mileage run. I have Spaniard passport and I can tramit chinese visa if needed.
Available Travel Datesec7-Dec12
Max # Travel Nights:5
AA only, or Partners Okay:Y
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):N
Look at LAX-HKG in PE. Earns 22k EQM,. On AA, you can find fares around $1k, but that doesn't get you the EQD you need. Fly partner CX, and you earn 2900 EQD per trip, for about $1600 spend.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tigerOS318
Departure Airport(s): NYC, PHL
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10,000 EQMs
EQDs Needed: NA
Max Budget: $1000
Available Travel Dates: any weekend til end of year
AA only, or Partners Okay: Whatever works
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y

How about JFK-SFO-LAX-LIH-LAX-SFO-JFK for $627. Departs Dec 1st, get's back to JFK Dec 2nd:

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...406*.USD.61406

There are also good deals on PHL-SFO round trip same day turns for Dec 1 and 8 right now.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly

Do a same day run from DFW to CLT in First will earn 2x EQMs and enough for what you need. Seems to be lots of dates well under your budget.
Thanks for the idea! I found a DFW-SFO round trip on 787-8s each way, lie flat 1st class (I) on the return for $458. This should get me well over the required EQMs and a nice evening in San Fran.
MSP_Monopoly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.