Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kman88
Hello, Need to maintain EXP. Will be about 20,000 EQM Short:

Departure Airport: DCA/IAD/BWI/PHL
Miles Needed: 20,000 EQM, 2000 EQD
Required Spend or Budget: up to $2000
Available Travel Dates: 2 days
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA preferred

Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

First off, you're not going to earn 2k EQD on only $2k of spend by flying AA-marketed, unless you can find something on AAVacations.

CX PE to HKG is less than $1800 and at least 18k physical miles depending on routing, so it will meet both requirements handily.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

First off, you're not going to earn 2k EQD on only $2k of spend by flying AA-marketed, unless you can find something on AAVacations.

CX PE to HKG is less than $1800 and at least 18k physical miles depending on routing, so it will meet both requirements handily.
thank you. Actually don’t worry about eqd I’ll get it from credit card. Any other options other than Hong Kong? I’m going there twice.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lsfla
Need a mileage run on AA to get to EP. Prefer business class
Departure Airport(s): MIA
EQMs Needed: 4,000
Max Budget: $800
Available Travel Dates: Oct 5 - 7 or Oct 12 - 14
Max # Travel Nights: 2
AA only
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

A simple LAX RT in Economy will get you the needed EQMs for far less than $800. If it has to be Business, an NYC RT does the job, still well under $800.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kman88

thank you. Actually don’t worry about eqd I’ll get it from credit card. Any other options other than Hong Kong? I’m going there twice.
BA PE to JNB is $1850 for certain dates in November.
https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...51*.USD.185651
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by skydve1
APEC is the best $70 you can spend if you travel to Asia! I've used it in Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou and Hong Kong , so you'll have no problem using it on your trip.
Agreed. I was in Shanghai a lot last year and used it as well as Mexico. It does look like I'm heading to Prague for work so I won't be taking the Beijing trip as now I'll only be about 6K miles short of my 100K so now trying to figure out the absolute cheapest way to make that happen.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott, Plat AMEX
Departure Airport(s): PHL or NYC
EQMs Needed: 45K
EQDs Needed: None. Already at $12k
Max Budget: ~$4K
Available Travel Dates: (Nov 2 – 4th, Nov 9th – 12th, Nov 16th -19, Nov 30th – Dec 3rd or Dec 7th – 10th)
Max # Travel Nights: 4 - Flexible
AA or Partners: OK – Either, just need EQMs.
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

I got some great feedback from here last year and hoping to get the same this year. I was recovering from an auto accident, so that took me out of the action for a few months and I’m looking to retain my EXP on AA. Open to travel anywhere and prefer PE or Business Class. Happy to do this over two weekends if needed.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Departure Airport(s): PHX/TUS (could drive or reposition to LAX but I'd really prefer not)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 8-10k (17k short right now, but a 2k trip coming up with another 5 likely following soon)
EQDs Needed: N/A
Max Budget: As low as possible
Available Travel Dates: Weekends preferred, can arrange schedule - the less hotel nights the better
AA only, or Partners Okay: Whatever gets me to the goal

17k away from renewing platinum, and I've gotten a bit spoiled on it this year (first time) so trying to renew.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
​​​
For clarity, any bulk/special fare will get you that, not just AAV.
I'm currently in PEK where a $736 spend will get me ~$3250 in EQDs not purchased via AAV. The first 2 legs posted.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Wife needs a run to retain EXP:

Departure Airport(s): PHL/NYC
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 12,000
EQDs Needed: $2100
Max Budget: $2200
Available Travel Dates: Most weekends
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK

Ideally she'd depart December 29 or 30, on a looong trip somewhere in Premium Economy, earning the needed EQDs and EQMs just before the end of the year. Then her return flight would depart January 1st so those EQMs and EQDs would credit towards 2019 qualification.

Alternately, she could just do a simple run all in 2018 so long as it doesn't exceed about $1100.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by 303Snowrider
Departure Airport(s): PHL or NYC
EQMs Needed: 45K
EQDs Needed: None. Already at $12k
Max Budget: ~$4K
Available Travel Dates: (Nov 2 – 4th, Nov 9th – 12th, Nov 16th -19, Nov 30th – Dec 3rd or Dec 7th – 10th)
Max # Travel Nights: 4 - Flexible
AA or Partners: OK – Either, just need EQMs.

I got some great feedback from here last year and hoping to get the same this year. I was recovering from an auto accident, so that took me out of the action for a few months and I’m looking to retain my EXP on AA. Open to travel anywhere and prefer PE or Business Class. Happy to do this over two weekends if needed.
JFK-AKL in CX PE will get you ~41,500 EQMs. Right now, I see it for $2740. You could then do a quick trip down to MIA (or thereabouts) in F for the remaining 3,500 EQM.
303Snowrider likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Wife needs a run to retain EXP:

Departure Airport(s): PHL/NYC
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 12,000
EQDs Needed: $2100
Max Budget: $2200
Available Travel Dates: Most weekends
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK

Ideally she'd depart December 29 or 30, on a looong trip somewhere in Premium Economy, earning the needed EQDs and EQMs just before the end of the year. Then her return flight would depart January 1st so those EQMs and EQDs would credit towards 2019 qualification.

Alternately, she could just do a simple run all in 2018 so long as it doesn't exceed about $1100.
This might be tough.

AA has some great PE fares to China (e.g., $1000-$1200) from PHL/NYC; if you can book via a special fare, that would get you the required EQD, but you would need a Chinese visa. Maybe you can play around and see about routing through TYO or HKG in one direction, but from what I can see that raises the price significantly.

JFK-LHR-JNB in BA PE is $2290 over New Year's, but one-way won't get you 2100 EQD. Any way you can position further west? JFK-LHR-PVG in BA PE is $2090, but again not quite 2100 EQD one-way (not to mention the visa issue).

Anyways, maybe you (or someone else) could use some of this as a starting point and build on it to arrive at what you need.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by M1Dragon
Departure Airport(s): PHX/TUS (could drive or reposition to LAX but I'd really prefer not)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 8-10k (17k short right now, but a 2k trip coming up with another 5 likely following soon)
EQDs Needed: N/A
Max Budget: As low as possible
Available Travel Dates: Weekends preferred, can arrange schedule - the less hotel nights the better
AA only, or Partners Okay: Whatever gets me to the goal

17k away from renewing platinum, and I've gotten a bit spoiled on it this year (first time) so trying to renew.
PHX-LAX-PEK-HKG-LAX-PHX for $558. Because you are merely transiting China for a night, the visa should not be an issue (HKG is considered a separate country). It's definitely one night in PEK and maybe another night in HKG (arrive 1am, depart 8pm).
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
JFK-LHR-JNB in BA PE is $2290 over New Year's, but one-way won't get you 2100 EQD. Any way you can position further west? JFK-LHR-PVG in BA PE is $2090, but again not quite 2100 EQD one-way (not to mention the visa issue).
She's open to positioning west. SFO and LAX both have friends/relatives in the area so those are possible, along with the other usual options (ORD, DFW, etc.)
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
She's open to positioning west. SFO and LAX both have friends/relatives in the area so those are possible, along with the other usual options (ORD, DFW, etc.)
In that case, LAX-LHR-JNB // JNB-LHR-JFK is $2260 in T. The outbound alone would net 16,600 EQMs and 2,200 EQDs. The return could be in economy for $2,008 if the $2200 is a hard cap.

Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott, Plat AMEX
remove

Last edited by 303Snowrider; Sep 24, 2018 at 3:11 am Reason: error

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.