Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Explorist Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive Elite, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PDXAA
Departure Airport(s): PDX, LAX, YVR, PHX, but willing to position if it makes sense
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 18000
EQDs Needed: $500
Max Budget: $1200 USD including positioning flight if needed
Available Travel Dates: Would like to complete this ASAP and am completely flexible with dates / times for departure
Max # Travel Nights: Would like to do as quick a turn as possible (I did a run last year to AKL and was only in AKL for about 2 hours)
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y
How about San Jose, Puerto Rico in BUSINESS/"FIRST" from LAX = $775 and nets 13576 EQMs and 716 EQD
https://goo.gl/flights/jwkb3
might be able to creative route for a few more miles but not all of them...

For the remaining 4424 EQMs from the link above maybe a LAX - NYC turn in economy with status or upgrade instruments you could be lie flat and still under your budget, LAX to MIA or HNL still should keep you under budget.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Originally Posted by talltoddtravels
How about San Jose, Puerto Rico in BUSINESS/"FIRST" from LAX = $775 and nets 13576 EQMs and 716 EQD
https://goo.gl/flights/jwkb3
might be able to creative route for a few more miles but not all of them...

For the remaining 4424 EQMs from the link above maybe a LAX - NYC turn in economy with status or upgrade instruments you could be lie flat and still under your budget, LAX to MIA or HNL still should keep you under budget.
I feel LAX-SJU in Business is one the easy domestic option get the EQMs and also enjoy the business travel. I have done one trip few weeks back and plan to do another one before weather hit. If you routing to CLT just make sure you have enough power bank as those plans are missing power outlets .

I am sure there are other domestic business route other can share if you want to avoid international travel.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
I feel LAX-SJU in Business is one the easy domestic option get the EQMs and also enjoy the business travel. I have done one trip few weeks back and plan to do another one before weather hit. If you routing to CLT just make sure you have enough power bank as those plans are missing power outlets .

I am sure there are other domestic business route other can share if you want to avoid international travel.
I've done this run more times than I can count so I'm hoping to find something new or at least more exciting. Thanks for the suggestions!!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by PDXAA
I've done this run more times than I can count so I'm hoping to find something new or at least more exciting. Thanks for the suggestions!!
There's various fares to China and Hong Kong, seems pretty cheap in late Aug:

Hong Kong from LAX

LAX to Shanghai

If you can wait until later in the year, there are some awesome fares for AUS to PVG.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: Alaska
Need help with Platinum Challenge

Departure Airport(s): PHX, LAX, SAN, SEA, SFO - honestly I'm willing to position anywhere. I have until Oct 3rd to complete it,
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 12,500 EQM
EQDs Needed: $2000
Max Budget: $1000-ish but ideally much less
Available Travel Dates: Any dates except July 13-24 (I'll be in MIA on the 24th so if there's anything that originates there on that date I can do it), Aug 8-21 (I'll be in Paris on the 22nd so can potentially position almost anywhere in Europe), Sept 21-23 (I'll be in Las Vegas on the 24th, so can also leave from there on that date)
Max # Travel Nights: 7 days, but less is preferred
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners that qualify for the challenge are JAL, BA, and Iberia so if optimizes EQM/EQD, then absolutely
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ontheflyy
Departure Airport(s): PHX, LAX, SAN, SEA, SFO - honestly I'm willing to position anywhere. I have until Oct 3rd to complete it,
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 12,500 EQM
EQDs Needed: $2000
Max Budget: $1000-ish but ideally much less
Available Travel Dates: Any dates except July 13-24 (I'll be in MIA on the 24th so if there's anything that originates there on that date I can do it), Aug 8-21 (I'll be in Paris on the 22nd so can potentially position almost anywhere in Europe), Sept 21-23 (I'll be in Las Vegas on the 24th, so can also leave from there on that date)
Max # Travel Nights: 7 days, but less is preferred
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners that qualify for the challenge are JAL, BA, and Iberia so if optimizes EQM/EQD, then absolutely
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Easily done. ARN-LHR-LAX (rt) in PE on BA for $944. That's about as good as you'll get.

Buy the BA flight numbers only; do not buy an AA-coded flight. Flights on AA metal (with a BA code) are just fine. For example, BA1509 in the above example will earn way more than AA193 even though it's the same physical flight.

Earnings:
EQM: 17,800
EQD: 2,390
RDM: 11,900 (plus elite bonus, if any)
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by swingaling
Easily done. ARN-LHR-LAX (rt) in PE on BA for $944. That's about as good as you'll get.

Buy the BA flight numbers only; do not buy an AA-coded flight. Flights on AA metal (with a BA code) are just fine. For example, BA1509 in the above example will earn way more than AA193 even though it's the same physical flight.

Earnings:
EQM: 17,800
EQD: 2,390
RDM: 11,900 (plus elite bonus, if any)

Please elaborate, I thought AA coded flights earn miles as if they were normal AA flights and BA coded flights earn based on the partner chart.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by ellinj
Please elaborate, I thought AA coded flights earn miles as if they were normal AA flights and BA coded flights earn based on the partner chart.
Huh? Reread my post.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Huh? Reread my post.
I have read it several times.

Buy the BA flight numbers only
For ARN-LHR-LAX, If EQMs are what you are after it actually doesn't matter, AA coded flights earn 1.5 EQMS in PE; same for BA, As far as I understand it, this isn't always the case, some business fare classes earn more EQMs as AA coded flights. It is true that for RDMs the BA flight numbers should yield you more total miles.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by ellinj
I have read it several times.

For ARN-LHR-LAX, If EQMs are what you are after it actually doesn't matter, AA coded flights earn 1.5 EQMS in PE; same for BA, As far as I understand it, this isn't always the case, some business fare classes earn more EQMs as AA coded flights. It is true that for RDMs the BA flight numbers should yield you more total miles.
OP needs 2k EQDs in addition to the EQM, so BA coded flights are the way to go. AA flights would earn around 900 EQD, while BA would earn 2,300.

Really not sure what the confusion is here...
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat (challenge), UA Gold, AS MVPGold, SPG Plat
Departure Airport(s): LAX, EWR, JFK, SFO, OAK, SAN
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 12,500
EQDs Needed: $2,000
Max Budget: $1000
Available Travel Dates: thurs/fri/sat/sun before 9/4/18
Max # Travel Nights: one week - i can only travel on weekends
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y

Another request to try to meet requirements for platinum challenge by 9/7/18. Unfortunately the ARN-LHR-LAX route posted by @swingaling (Thanks!) was a challenge for me to reposition.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msof
EQDs Needed: $2,000
Max Budget: $1000
I was playing around trying to find something, but these two items are going to be tough to meet. The only way that I know of getting more EQD than you spend is by flying on partners (or an AA special fare, such as through Vacations), where your EQD is based on mileage.

The best I could find was a CX PE fare, LAX-PEK, for about $1700. I'd start with that and play around with different dates/origins/destinations and see if you can find something better. I did look at Europe, using BA PE, but that is pricing higher in your timeframe.

There are some CX PE fares to PVG for about $1100, but for travel later in the year.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Hi all,

I have a question - I need to get from JFK to Auckland NZ and was wondering what's the most amount of EQD and EQM I can get for a $2500 spend?

I was thinking an AA vacation with an L* fare that gives me a throw away hotel. Does any one know if you can call and request just a one night stay but a 7 night flight itn?

Open to other options! Don't mind long lay overs etc.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by mosfet
Hi all,

I have a question - I need to get from JFK to Auckland NZ and was wondering what's the most amount of EQD and EQM I can get for a $2500 spend?

I was thinking an AA vacation with an L* fare that gives me a throw away hotel. Does any one know if you can call and request just a one night stay but a 7 night flight itn?

Open to other options! Don't mind long lay overs etc.

Its a little over your budget at $2600, but this CX JFK-HKG-AKL itinerary would give just over 41k EQM and almost $5500 EQD. If you play around with that, you can add in connections (there was an extra through YVR that I saw).
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat (challenge), UA Gold, AS MVPGold, SPG Plat
Thanks @aztimm. Appreciate the help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.