Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
What have you found so far?
25k miles for $1000 is going to be tough. You basically need to do international PE, which usually will be closer to $1500.
Just an FYI for anyone who has a China Visa. I have been seeing fares of around $1100 DFW to PEK in PE. Earns 20,910 EQM and the flight is nonstop. I was going to jump on it myself and then I found a J fare out of ORD for around $2300 and booked that instead. Better yet, the ORD/PEK J fare was available at AA Vacations as a special fare with 3 nights at a hotel that I can actually use for the same price. I was looking in September. Don't know what else is out there but thought I'd pass it along in case it is useful to someone. Not an amazing deal, but certainly useful to someone who needs EQM and has a China Visa.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by 466SHH
Just an FYI for anyone who has a China Visa. I have been seeing fares of around $1100 DFW to PEK in PE. Earns 20,910 EQM and the flight is nonstop.
The fare is a little less out of AUS. Here's an option through DFW, although you can also route through LAX. The fare is out there for much of Nov and Dec (maybe more, but I'm looking at those months).
You can find a special fare version of this through AA vacations, if EQD is a major concern (the special fare bases EQM on distance).
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
You can find a special fare version of this through AA vacations, if EQD is a major concern (the special fare bases EQM on distance).
This is oh-so-true if you're able to find one. For me it's been much more challenging to find a special fare * on AAV unfortunately.
I did a search just now based on this thread and couldn't get one.
It was ~$1250 for 4 nights hotel plus PE for the long haul (with a completely 100% empty PE cabin) but not a special fare so it wouldn't be worth it for me. I checked many other flights but not a single one was special fare.
I, like many others, have taken advantage of the special fare thing but it looks like someone caught wind of it.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Very new to Mileage Runs due to a new job that allows me to travel almost weekly. I have been playing around with ITA matrix and it seems that if I split a run into two reservations, 2 segments each, all same day, it ends up being a bit cheaper. Is there any way this could bite me? I figure one of my segments get delayed I could ultimately not get to my destination since it isn't under one reservation.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by atbPy
Very new to Mileage Runs due to a new job that allows me to travel almost weekly. I have been playing around with ITA matrix and it seems that if I split a run into two reservations, 2 segments each, all same day, it ends up being a bit cheaper. Is there any way this could bite me? I figure one of my segments get delayed I could ultimately not get to my destination since it isn't under one reservation.
all same airline? If so, the likelihood is that the biggest risk you're taking is not getting back the same day. Even a flight cancellation will only push you to the next one, etc, etc. If you were not doing MRs and checked a bag, that's a different question as then you might be risking not getting your puff the magic dragon bathtime float if you sent it in the checked bag.
atbPy likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Whodunit68
all same airline? If so, the likelihood is that the biggest risk you're taking is not getting back the same day. Even a flight cancellation will only push you to the next one, etc, etc. If you were not doing MRs and checked a bag, that's a different question as then you might be risking not getting your puff the magic dragon bathtime float if you sent it in the checked bag.
Good to know! Yes, this would all be the same airline, AA. I would be going to a destination instead of returning home, just adding a few segments to boost the EQMs.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:08 pm

If you can use miles or find a cheap fare to AUS, check this out. If it is easier/cheaper to position to PHX, you can get this even cheaper.
I'd play around with that and see if you can't find something closer/more convenient as your starting point.
These are great, thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:45 pm

If you want to do this in style/biz, here's an itinerary for about $2800. Would give about $5k EQD and 30k EQM.
I'm doing this trip, but spent a little less.

Also check my prior replies for travel to PVG, if you have a Chinese visa (you don't indicate either way). If you don't have a visa (and don't want to consider getting one), look at HKG.
You may want to try some of the PVG routes in PE; fares are about $1000-1100, and give more EQM and EQD.
Thanks for that itinerary (I'm not OP btw). I'm sitting at $1000 EQD and 10k EQMs. I have all the time and money I need just need itineraries!

Funny thing is that is now $5,300 on the dates you picked, I moved it and it's $3,100. Not bad but if I change it from ORD departure to OMA (Omaha, NE), rate goes to $5,500 which is weird. I plan on buying a ticket from OMA to ORD for $250 a day before going to Chicago and spending the night there and then going to Columbo the following day and book a ticket from ORD back to OMA as well. Any cons other than missing my OMA to ORD flight from the day before?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mokarney
Thanks for that itinerary (I'm not OP btw). I'm sitting at $1000 EQD and 10k EQMs. I have all the time and money I need just need itineraries!

Funny thing is that is now $5,300 on the dates you picked, I moved it and it's $3,100. Not bad but if I change it from ORD departure to OMA (Omaha, NE), rate goes to $5,500 which is weird. I plan on buying a ticket from OMA to ORD for $250 a day before going to Chicago and spending the night there and then going to Columbo the following day and book a ticket from ORD back to OMA as well. Any cons other than missing my OMA to ORD flight from the day before?
Wow, it has gone up a bit!

I usually keep an eye on the Premium Fare forum. If I see something that interests me, I'll try to duplicate it in Google flights (more helpful when people provide the link). Then I'll play around with the dates and cities to make it even more convenient.
One nice thing about AUS is that AA and UA fiercely compete (they both have nearly hourly flights to DFW/IAH), so there are usually some pretty good deals, and often better than from DFW/IAH.
For some reason, adding almost any city to this ORD-CMB/MLE run really jacks up the price.

Another good biz suggestion for maximizing EQD/EQM is look at AY from the US to Asia. I did JFK-HEL-SIN in January in biz for about $3k. I did have a day in HEL on the way there, but I made the most of it and explored town a bit.
george 3 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Another good biz suggestion for maximizing EQD/EQM is look at AY from the US to Asia. I did JFK-HEL-SIN in January in biz for about $3k. I did have a day in HEL on the way there, but I made the most of it and explored town a bit.
I few Finnair's biz ORD-HEL-HKG in May. Neither myself nor my co-worker thought the seats on A330's to HEL (and from HEL to ORD) were comfortable. We both had throne seats.
Plus, the plane was hot as HEL too. We had some temp/humidity sensors with us, and both flights were 78 degrees F, and 4-8% RH. Their A330's don't have any kind of air vents either.
The A350's from HEL to HKG (and HKG to HEL) were fine (my opinion).

The $3k price tag was good, but I'm not sure I'd go that route again unless they ditched the A330's. Yeah - I know , 1st world problems.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

I usually keep an eye on the Premium Fare forum. If I see something that interests me, I'll try to duplicate it in Google flights (more helpful when people provide the link). Then I'll play around with the dates and cities to make it even more convenient.
One nice thing about AUS is that AA and UA fiercely compete (they both have nearly hourly flights to DFW/IAH), so there are usually some pretty good deals, and often better than from DFW/IAH.
For some reason, adding almost any city to this ORD-CMB/MLE run really jacks up the price.

These look like a solid option for what I'm looking for, and I see a lot of options this summer for biz at about the $3k price point. Question though, for me to get this to credit to my AA account do I have to purchase through AA? Because on google flights it lists the Finnair price as $3k but booking through AA would cost $14k.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by adunker
These look like a solid option for what I'm looking for, and I see a lot of options this summer for biz at about the $3k price point. Question though, for me to get this to credit to my AA account do I have to purchase through AA? Because on google flights it lists the Finnair price as $3k but booking through AA would cost $14k.
No need to book through AA, and you don't really want AA flight numbers. I booked through the AY website and put in my AA info.

Actually on my return flight I booked SIN-HEL-LHR-JFK (all AY flight numbers). For the LHR-JFK leg I was on the upper deck of the 747, in an exit row ^
adunker likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:00 am

okay cool! That’s what I do as well. I had Platinum with 1 trip back in 2016 that was way haha.

this EQD has me confused and I need to read up more on it. Is it true that codeshare flights on other one world alliances earn more EQDs? Also what exactly is AY? Tried googling it to no avail...

will focus on flights out out of Austin though! Thanks for the tip of United competition!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mokarney

okay cool! That’s what I do as well. I had Platinum with 1 trip back in 2016 that was way haha.

this EQD has me confused and I need to read up more on it. Is it true that codeshare flights on other one world alliances earn more EQDs? Also what exactly is AY? Tried googling it to no avail...

will focus on flights out out of Austin though! Thanks for the tip of United competition!
It is very much possible that you will earn more EQD with partner airlines because EQD is calculated as a percentage of miles flown, as opposed to based on the cost of the ticket (as it is done with AA-marketed flights).

AY is Finnair. If you are looking to do a business class run to Asia on AY, I would consider originating the ticket in YYZ, YUL, or YYC, and positioning from AUS to one of those cities.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:52 am

Need about 30000 eqm in fall to hit executive.

Anyone suggest cheap long distance routes to Europe or Australia (don't have a Chinese visa unfortunately) from USA or Canada.

ive been able to do long routes within USA for same price tag going from coast to coast. I find ord DFW Mia lax phx then back to your hometown like ord gives you roughly 7k-10k eqm. But thought if anyone has any cheap euro trips or Australia or Hawaii for mileage runs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.