Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, JB, AF, BA, QF, JL, CX
Thanks for responding. I have not registered for a challenge yet. I already have the trip booked and then I came across the thread and so I am just wondering whether one can use an already booked trip for an upcoming challenge or whether any trips need to be designed after registration.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jnyeung
Hi,
i have a trip booked for aug on PE with HKG-HND ON CX 548 (E] and NRT-BOS AA8476 [P). Would this trip be good for a gold challenge?
thanks
JY
Originally Posted by jnyeung
Thanks for responding. I have not registered for a challenge yet. I already have the trip booked and then I came across the thread and so I am just wondering whether one can use an already booked trip for an upcoming challenge or whether any trips need to be designed after registration.
There's no requirement that the travel be booked after you sign up.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Alan Nevin
Hello All,

In Jan of this year I booked Finnair Dub - Hel - BKK - SGN - HKG - HEL - Dub for May time in Class I. At the same time I joined BA exec, is this the best one world loyalty to join if based in Dublin? If so, the trip I mentioned will leave me close to 1,000 TP short of Gold status this year. If someone could help me: Thank you!

Departure Airport(s): Dub, SGN?
BA Tier Points Required : 1,000
Max Budget: 2,000
Available Travel Dates: Any really.
Max # Travel Nights:5
AA only, or Partners Okay: Yes
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
The BA Tier Point Runs 2018 master thread has a wealth of information/ideas and is the best place for you to start. A 800-1000TP-run ex DUB should be possible for around EUR 2,000
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
Question Can I do better than LAX-XXX-SJU in F for $720?

Forgive me, but I haven't posted here in a while due to family cancer emergency. So, I did the Plat Challenge last year at the tail end of '17. I fear losing plt status at the end of 2018 (or Jan 2019, I think?) This particular MR was a favorite of mine when I could route it through JFK, but alas, that is no more. The best thing about this MR was that it was doable in around 24. It is a mix of F/J, though, I am seeing, now.

I am open to STT, PTY, etc. I've been plugging in various months on ITA and various destinations but thought I would reach out if someone has seen an AA something/route that I am unaware of. I am just learning the EQD rules now and thought if there a premium MR on a partner airline (even international dest) that it might be doable?

I've have been off of this board for almost a year (due to above cited mention).

I have zero balance in everything and simply want the quickest way to maintain Plat status for 2019. Money is not much of a concern than time.

Thank you.

MODERATOR NOTE: Merged from separate thread.

Last edited by Pat89339; Apr 4, 2018 at 9:10 am Reason: Move notation
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
If you are going for PLT

you want the most eqm and eqd you can get. The lax to pty is good for $1000 and ends up with about 18000 eqm. Also, coach international will get you eqms but you also have to think about dollars spent.if money isnt a concern, book a biz class flight to Asia on a partner. There is a thread right now on ORD-MLE/CMB.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
I wonder if it's possible to qualify for PLT with a creatively routed biz class (or two back2back trips) to Asia on a partner. Regardless, Chitink, thank you.
I now have a starting point.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA-1K 3MM, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium Life Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
AA Executive Platinum Challenge Help

I have been offered this challenge based on my United 1K status. I am very new at with working with AA for domestic and international travel. IAD is my prime airport but can go to DCA if need be. I normally fly to BKK ever other month using my United Global upgrade coupons.

AA requires 35,000 EQMs and $4,000 EQDs in three months flying on AA, BA, IB, AY, JA or Qantas. Once I meet this challenge I am not sure what they will require I fly by the end of the year. Normally it is $12,000 EQD's and 100,000 EQM's for the year. Has anyone done this before and what was the mileage and spend required based upon the month you qualified?

I may activate their challenge starting in May. I was looking at YYZ-ORD-HEL-BKK with AA and AY RT which cost about $2900. Probably 2 of these RT's would do it but I am not sure how AA calculates the EQM's and EQD's. Any good domestic MR's on AA?

Any suggestions from the Forum for MR's to meet this challenge?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:48 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Karl
Any good domestic MR's on AA?
Probably not, as the EQD earning is marginal. The best right now is the BA PE fares ex OSL/ARN/CPH to the West Coast as they are distance based so you can get 3x+ the EQD and each RT generates 2332 EQD's plus 17k EQM's and apx 25,600 RDM's for about US$700. Also, look at CX PE or business from IAD/JFK/ORD as they are distance based as well. Since IAD is new to CX, there should be some deals available. There is the CX business class fare sale which is bookable by 4/30, but only a feww good fares, though a single RT in I would just about do it for your challenge.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:20 pm

Departure Airport(s): Miami area (can be flexible)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 25,000 EQM
EQDs Needed: 3,000
Max Budget: $1200
Available Travel Dates: Rest of the year, Must include a weekend
Max # Travel Nights: 3-5
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners are ok
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N (easy to acquire)

Im seeing MIA-DFW-PVG on AA in PE from October 19-22 for $1100 but if I book via CC portal it isnt a Special Fare That would earn 25k eqm and 3.4k eqd.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Hello FlyerTalk crew! First post here - so I’ll get right to it. I’m AA Plat trying to secure Plat Pro or EXP by EOY 2018.
Travel for work but need to add runs on holidays and weekends to achieve goal. Thanks!

Departure Airport: DCA or IAD
Miles Needed: 10k each flight. 75k EOY 2018
Required Spend or Budget: $500 - $1000k
Available Travel Dates: Saturdays
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA
ChicGeekUno likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sgan317
Departure Airport(s): Miami area (can be flexible)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 25,000 EQM
EQDs Needed: 3,000
Max Budget: $1200
Available Travel Dates: Rest of the year, Must include a weekend
Max # Travel Nights: 3-5
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners are ok
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N (easy to acquire)

Im seeing MIA-DFW-PVG on AA in PE from October 19-22 for $1100 but if I book via CC portal it isnt a Special Fare That would earn 25k eqm and 3.4k eqd.
that kind of mileage with that budget is almost certainly Asia. Did you try AAVacations? Prices to China, since you're open, are in the ~$750 range for end of August. Including a hotel for 3 nights (the min), I got a special fare quote (O out and Q on the return) for $753 for 16,183 mi /EQMs and 1618 EQDs.
You could use that remaining $450 to either do another trip to China and blow out the EQDs and EQMs or a trip or two to LAX which are easy to find from MIA sub $250 (I did a quick search to verify). I see them all the time out of MCO.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Whodunit68
that kind of mileage with that budget is almost certainly Asia. Did you try AAVacations? Prices to China, since you're open, are in the ~$750 range for end of August. Including a hotel for 3 nights (the min), I got a special fare quote (O out and Q on the return) for $753 for 16,183 mi /EQMs and 1618 EQDs.
You could use that remaining $450 to either do another trip to China and blow out the EQDs and EQMs or a trip or two to LAX which are easy to find from MIA sub $250 (I did a quick search to verify). I see them all the time out of MCO.
Yeah, hoping to do it in one trip. Ive been hunting AA Vacations for a Y+ fare that earns as P* earnings. The best ive found so fare is DFW-HAN for about $1700
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:22 am

Hello - I appreciate all the help. I’m AA LT Gold, trying to attain EXP.
Due to a severe downturn in work travel I'm left far short of the usual 50k-75k miles per annum normally flown, and now need to reach this daunting task out of my own pocket. Thanks!

Departure Airport: PHL, EWR, JFK (can depart/return from any of the 3)
Miles Needed: 98,500 - flexible on pace (although the sooner, the better)
Required Spend or Budget: As economically as possible, while hitting the remaining $11,900 required
Available Travel Dates: Anytime
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshares fine, as long as they credit toward AA for status
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz
Hello - I appreciate all the help. I’m AA LT Gold, trying to attain EXP.
Due to a severe downturn in work travel I'm left far short of the usual 50k-75k miles per annum normally flown, and now need to reach this daunting task out of my own pocket. Thanks!

Departure Airport: PHL, EWR, JFK (can depart/return from any of the 3)
Miles Needed: 98,500 - flexible on pace (although the sooner, the better)
Required Spend or Budget: As economically as possible, while hitting the remaining $11,900 required
Available Travel Dates: Anytime
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshares fine, as long as they credit toward AA for status

3x from JFK-HKT on Cathay Pacific
Should Earn About
EQM: 85473
EQD: $11,396
RDM: 56982
Total cost ~$4500

CX - Premium Economy - JFK/ORD - BKK/TPE/SIN/SGN/MNL/CRK/CEB ~ $1415 r/t

All you need now is a $600 ~15k EQD trip to Europe booked via AA Vacations under a * fare
Ritz likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by sgan317
3x from JFK-HKT on Cathay Pacific
Should Earn About
EQM: 85473
EQD: $11,396
RDM: 56982
Total cost ~$4500

CX - Premium Economy - JFK/ORD - BKK/TPE/SIN/SGN/MNL/CRK/CEB ~ $1415 r/t

All you need now is a $600 ~15k EQD trip to Europe booked via AA Vacations under a * fare
Thank you very much for this guidance! Wondering if it's cheaper if I were to depart/return from 2 different airports?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.