Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA
Need help finding mileage runs from CLT to/from BOS

Hi, I'm new to all of this and for some strange reason I have this burning desire to gain status at American. I recently moved and that has caused me to have to book flights between CLT-BOS (my clients are all still in Boston) on a regular basis. I have been booking First Class as it's only $500-$550 round trip and have been making connecting flights to both double my EQM (4,000) per RT, and double my EQS (4) per RT, and $500 a flight helps in EQD. I also have the American CC to help with EQM as well. As an IT consultant I can work from just about anywhere I have access to WIFI, so I'm looking for some cheap flights (I'd prefer to stay here in the states) that I could buy to rack up the miles and segments. I have no idea how some of you are finding these so I figured it's best to ask then spend countless hours combing the web trying to do what someone else has already done and is willing to share. When I lived in Boston it was common for people to do the BOS-NYC flights back and forth as they were cheap and quick, I'm thinking either flights like that out of CLT or even longer distance ones. If anyone has any info they would care to share that would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to fly day/night/weekend/weekday, etc.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate anyone willing to help me take advantage of the system, lol.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:02 pm

Hey guys I am a EXP. Wanted to see if I did this itienary, how many eqd's and miles I would earn. Really appreciate the help guys!!

AA DFW to Tokyo Premium Economy
Cathay Pacific Tokyo to HKG - PE
Cathay HKG - Tokyo - PE
AA Tokyo - DFW

Total price is 2400

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by baothai27
Hey guys I am a EXP. Wanted to see if I did this itienary, how many eqd's and miles I would earn. Really appreciate the help guys!!

AA DFW to Tokyo Premium Economy
Cathay Pacific Tokyo to HKG - PE
Cathay HKG - Tokyo - PE
AA Tokyo - DFW

Total price is 2400

Thanks
It really depends on the marketing carrier for each leg of the itinerary. If they have AA flight numbers, then you'd get EQD similar to that $2400, minus some taxes. If they have CX flight numbers, then you'd get EQD as a percentage of miles.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:51 am

Does it matter if you book the cx through aa? Or is just who operates that flight period. Thanks
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Does it matter if you book the cx through aa? Or is just who operates that flight period. Thanks
it almost never matters who operates the flight. It's the booking flight number/marketing carrier that matters.

If you fly AA#### flight number but it's operated by CX and want to accumulate AA miles, you will get 1 EQM per mile flown.
If you have flight CX#### flight number but it's operated by AA, you will get EQMs based on the CX chart.
If you get AA### flight number operated by AA, you get 1 EQM per mile flown.
If you get CX### flight number operated by CX, you need the booking class to determine the AA EQMs you will earn.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:12 am

Perfect. Thanks
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:28 am

What happens when they have marketed as both. I went through google flights. At the end it has
American Marketed as AA 122, AA 8931, AA 8929, AA 2070 and Cathay Pacific Marketed as CX 7501, CX 873, CX 870, CX 7714

If I wanted to use the cx chart for eqms and eqds for my aa account, I should book it through CX no AA? Is this a right assumption.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
...American Marketed as AA 122, AA 8931, AA 8929, AA 2070 and Cathay Pacific Marketed as CX 7501, CX 873, CX 870, CX 7714. If I wanted to use the cx chart for eqms and eqds for my aa account, I should book it through CX no AA? Is this a right assumption.
Yes. To get the CX chart, you must book the CX flight numbers.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
AA: gunning for EXP this year, currently plat. Starting in New York, going to Africa (likely) for a short vacation, and then a short vacation in LA after that (2-3 days is fine).

Departure Airport(s): JFK/LGA
EQMs or EQSs Needed: n/a
EQDs Needed: 3000-4000
Max Budget: 2000
Available Travel Dates: Would like to leave after 3/11 and return to new york by 3/21
Max # Travel Nights: 3
AA only, or Partners Okay: yes
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): no

I saw the JFK->ALG deal, but not seeing for my dates, CAI, or Morocco in PE for around 5 nights, flying to LA from there (roundtrip if needed), and then back to New York. Oneway flights are fine too.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
My wife is a Platinum this year but is hoping to earn her million miler status this year. She only needs 20K more miles. We live in San Diego any mileage run suggestions for her? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:03 pm

Need help on getting 170 EQD in the next month

I signed up for the Gold status match because my SO and I had a trip this month, but unfortunately we had to cancel as my girlfriend was injured. Now I'm going to be about 170 EQD short by the end of the challenge (4/12). I'm looking for the cheapest way to get that amount.

Departure Airport(s): PIT
EQMs or EQSs Needed:N/A
EQDs Needed: 170
Max Budget: $350
Available Travel Dates: 3/16-3/19, 3/30-4/2, 4/6-4/9
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK, if they earn enough EQD
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y

Thanks in advance for any help, and let me know if I can provide more info.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by whackedspinach
I signed up for the Gold status match because my SO and I had a trip this month, but unfortunately we had to cancel as my girlfriend was injured. Now I'm going to be about 170 EQD short by the end of the challenge (4/12). I'm looking for the cheapest way to get that amount.

Departure Airport(s): PIT
EQMs or EQSs Needed:N/A
EQDs Needed: 170
Max Budget: $350
Available Travel Dates: 3/16-3/19, 3/30-4/2, 4/6-4/9
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK, if they earn enough EQD
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y

Thanks in advance for any help, and let me know if I can provide more info.
No need for you to pay $350 for 170 EQDs? Flying AA domestic, you just need to spend ~$200 for a trip (base + taxes). Take out taxes and you have 1 EQD per dollar spent. On April 7, you can hit DCA round trip same day (no $ for hotel) and complete this and it works within your dates.b
Same with ORD - I see one for $208 with a base fare
This isn't particularly ideal but the base fare is $176. you're out and back the same day round trip to Charlotte - https://www.aa.com/booking/passenger...%7CQQQQ%7CQQQQ.

Base fare is $176.74 which will likely net you 177 EQDs. Price is $228.90.
Use GF's explore option with AA selected and a to/from date of 4/7 and you can find something with less stops.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:10 pm

Hi everyone!

I signed up for a Gold status challenge and am currently $89 EQD short of the $1000 EQD needed by 4/4, so looking for the least expensive way to secure the $89 EQD needed. The ideal run would have me returning back to NYC the same day, but otherwise open to any and all options. Thanks in advance for any help, and let me know if I can provide more info.

Departure Airport(s): NYC (JFK, ERW, LGA)
EQMs or EQSs needed: 0, I have enough EQM to qualify
EQDs Needed: $89
Max Budget: whatever is needed to cover $89 EQD
Available Travel Dates: 3/24-3/29, 4/2-4/4
Max # Travel Nights: 0
AA only (Partners OK, if they earn enough EQD)
Current status: none

n.b.
- One way flights to Albany, NY also an option if cheaper than round trips elsewhere.
- Round trip flights to Ft. Lauderdale can be 1 or more nights if less expensive than most same day options.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC Super Elite
Here's the deal, pals. I need to fly from YVR to either Lisbon or Porto (OPO) on or around May 5. Plus or minus a day or two. Need to stay there until the 9th or first thing in the AM on the 10th. (I'll train to OPO from LIS if need be, I'm speaking at a conference in Porto.)

Then from there I need to get to Beijing to get there hopefully late on the 10th or first thing on the 11th. From Beijing I'll return back to Vancouver on or around the 14th. Will have Chinese Visa.
This seems like a great way to do a solid PE run on OW in order to max EQD. Happy to do a Cathay run from YVR to HKG then to LHR to get to Portugal or BA from YVR to LHR.

I assume I'll fly from London to PEK direct? Routing through HKG is also possible. I'm even willing to fly back to YVR from OPO/LHR and then hop on a plane to HKG from YVR to get to PEK.

Returning home, I'd honestly prefer to fly PEK-LHR-YVR to maximize miles, but flying back to YVR through HKG is okay as well.
Again, dates to leave and dates to come back are incredibly flexible - just that middle segment from OPO to PEK is set in stone.
A run like that might be pricey in PE, but that's gotta earn some serious EQD and EQM? Anyone able and willing to help me construct some options? Google Flights isn't really helping much, and BA's site isn't working for me to construct this one. OWE/EXP, so I'll have lounge access in London/Hong Kong, don't mind a stupid long layover. Even a day or two layover in London is fine.

Departure Airport(s): YVR
EQMs or EQSs needed: as many as possible
EQDs Needed: as many as possible
Max Budget: within reason
Available Travel Dates: 5/5 through 5/14
Max # Travel Nights: lots
OW partners only to max PE earnings
Current status: EXP
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CoffeeMan
Hi everyone!

I signed up for a Gold status challenge and am currently $89 EQD short of the $1000 EQD needed by 4/4, so looking for the least expensive way to secure the $89 EQD needed. The ideal run would have me returning back to NYC the same day, but otherwise open to any and all options. Thanks in advance for any help, and let me know if I can provide more info.

Departure Airport(s): NYC (JFK, ERW, LGA)
EQMs or EQSs needed: 0, I have enough EQM to qualify
EQDs Needed: $89
Max Budget: whatever is needed to cover $89 EQD
Available Travel Dates: 3/24-3/29, 4/2-4/4
Max # Travel Nights: 0
AA only (Partners OK, if they earn enough EQD)
Current status: none

n.b.
- One way flights to Albany, NY also an option if cheaper than round trips elsewhere.
- Round trip flights to Ft. Lauderdale can be 1 or more nights if less expensive than most same day options.
You can fly RT on Apr 03 to any of DC, Chicago, Boston, Charlotte for just over $170.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.