Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by melrowgo
It's tough to get that many miles in one travel night, but here's an option. (No red-eye, sorry)
AUS-ORD-SFO r/t :: $1512 AA in Bus :: 11200+ EQM :: Dec 29-30
Thank you! you gave me a good idea with the business vs first trick and found this one - https://goo.gl/flights/4f1t. 23 hours in planes for 11,372 & $1,588
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by randomqjohn
Thank you, sir. And if you don't mind teaching a man to fish, how did you find that?
No problem. I just used Google Flights for this one with the general idea that ~5,800 EQMs is a roughly a roundtrip to the west coast. With AA from markets like BDL and NYC, sometimes there are good deals to secondary markets in the west through LAX (e.g., DEN, RNO, SLC, DEN). With that knowledge, I just sort of played around with dates using Google Flights, which makes it very easy to do so. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by otmfp
Thank you! you gave me a good idea with the business vs first trick and found this one - https://goo.gl/flights/4f1t. 23 hours in planes for 11,372 & $1,588
Glad you found something useful. Double check the price before booking (unless you've already booked). I clicked on your link and it's now pricing at $2508.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by p2323
... looks like you're looking at 19 Jan 2018 -- a much less expensive fare than 19 Dec 2018. Either way, thanks again for taking your time to have a look.
Were you looking for SAN or SNA? If it's SAN, here's an option for you (though not as inexpensive as SNA):
SAN-ORD r/t :: $586 AA in Econ :: 3400+ EQM :: Dec 30
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:50 pm

Were you looking for SAN or SNA? If it's SAN, here's an option for you (though not as inexpensive as SNA):
SAN-ORD r/t :: $586 AA in Econ :: 3400+ EQM :: Dec 30
Thanks -- was looking for SAN, with Chaschas' help was able to get SAN->PHX->DEN->PHX->SAN for $631 in first class ... a few dollars more, but less time inflight and with a guaranteed upgrade will work out best.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:35 am

Glad you found something useful. Double check the price before booking (unless you've already booked). I clicked on your link and it's now pricing at $2508.
Dargh.... I have it on hold till end of day, buying it shortly... thanks again for the help.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:16 am

AA 5,650 short of Plat Pro is it worth it?

Correction on miles needed 6,650

I have hit $12,920 EQD
I have one more trip planned for 1444 miles. Which means I need 5,206 miles to hit PP.

2 questions. Is it worth bothering to try and get PP and does anyone know any good way of getting this from ORD? I have time off the next two weeks.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:35 am

So many options!

Departure Airport(s): If 12/19-12/24: MCO, if 12/27-12/31: BWI/DCA/IAD/RIC
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10,112, or 9 segments to PLT
EQDs Needed: N/A
Budget: their offer for platinum upgrade is $895, so enough under that for the time to make sense
Available Travel Dates: 12/19-12/31, not 24 or 25
Max # Travel Nights: 0
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners okay
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

Have a 2 year old and 1 year old, so wife is only giving me a leash long enough for a same day out and back, bonus if its a weekday during business hours. Red eye an option maybe if Im back before they wake up. Given the offer to upgrade it would probably only make sense if lower. Best I could find was 8 segments in a day, and not much luck finding a long enough 3xEQM flight either.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:12 am

Departure Airport(s): ORD
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 6,650 or 5,206 (I have a ORD to CUN on 12/31)
Max Budget: $500 (but cheaper if possible)
Available Travel Dates: 12/19, 12/20, 12/21, 12/22, 12/23, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners okay I think

Thank you! I am new at playing around with routes and miles. I have been trying but I can only seem to get the round trips easily.

Need some assistance finishing up my EQMs, any help greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by thndrmatt
Departure Airport(s): If 12/19-12/24: MCO, if 12/27-12/31: BWI/DCA/IAD/RIC
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10,112, or 9 segments to PLT
Budget: their offer for platinum upgrade is $895, so enough under that for the time to make sense
Available Travel Dates: 12/19-12/31, not 24 or 25
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners okay

Have a 2 year old and 1 year old, so wife is only giving me a leash long enough for a same day out and back, bonus if its a weekday during business hours. Red eye an option maybe if Im back before they wake up. Given the offer to upgrade it would probably only make sense if lower. Best I could find was 8 segments in a day, and not much luck finding a long enough 3xEQM flight either.
Finding a same-day turn for those number of miles is going to be pretty tough. I found a flight to LIH that was about $715, but it got you back the next day around noon. While it might be possible to pull this off with some obscure itinerary, it'll be a lot less grief and time to take the buy-out. Plus, wife will be much happier. (Priceless)
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by fasst1
Departure Airport(s): ORD
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 6,650 or 5,206 (I have a ORD to CUN on 12/31)
Max Budget: $500 (but cheaper if possible)
Available Travel Dates: 12/19, 12/20, 12/21, 12/22, 12/23, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners okay I think

Thank you! I am new at playing around with routes and miles. I have been trying but I can only seem to get the round trips easily.

Need some assistance finishing up my EQMs, any help greatly appreciated.
If you can do two different days, you can do two same-day trips to LAX or SFO for around $500 total. If you want to do it in one trip, $500 max is doubtful.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA EP, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
The fastest route might be simply to pay to keep your status. Have you checked how much it would cost to buy back your status?
I agree I was offered $495.00 when I had $351.00 EQD to reach PLT.

https://elite.americanairlines.com/e...ewal/login.cfm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:47 am

Departure Airport(s): MIA/FLL - if MCO or TPA have better flights I can drive up there as well
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 23,898
EQDs Needed: $800
Max Budget: $1,600 - can stretch a bit also if necessary
Available Travel Dates: 12/22-12/31
Max # Travel Nights: 0-2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Okay
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N) N

Hi everyone! My visa didn't arrive on time, so my international mileage run plans are no longer possible. I need a mileage run entirely within the US between Dec 22 and Dec 31. It can be multiple trips, it doesn't really matter to me how many legs, how many days flying. I've done some research and found some flights but haven't been able to reach the 24k. So just want to see if someone with better google flights or ITA matrix knowledge can help me get there!

Thank you in advance!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GLD, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club PLT, Hertz PC
TOL/DTW to anywhere MR to retain current status

Departure Airport(s): TOL, DTW (in that order of preference)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 4 segements
EQDs Needed: 0
Max Budget: < $200USD??
Available Travel Dates: 12/23 or 12/26-12/30
Max # Travel Nights: 0,1 (would prefer same day turnaround)
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA and OW ok
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): no

thanks all!!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by luajambeiro
Departure Airport(s): MIA/FLL - if MCO or TPA have better flights I can drive up there as well
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 23,898
EQDs Needed: $800
Max Budget: $1,600 - can stretch a bit also if necessary
Available Travel Dates: 12/22-12/31
Max # Travel Nights: 0-2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Okay
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N) N

Hi everyone! My visa didn't arrive on time, so my international mileage run plans are no longer possible. I need a mileage run entirely within the US between Dec 22 and Dec 31. It can be multiple trips, it doesn't really matter to me how many legs, how many days flying. I've done some research and found some flights but haven't been able to reach the 24k. So just want to see if someone with better google flights or ITA matrix knowledge can help me get there!

Thank you in advance!
One option is to take two flights to Hawaii to garner about 10K each, then make up the difference with a transcon flight with stops to SEA or PDX. I couldn't find a set of runs under $1600, though. I even looked at Econ flights to Guam which would give you 17.7K+, but that's about $2400 by itself.

Just to clarify, you cannot fly anywhere outside of the US or its territories, right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.