Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gbexile
I'm hoping that by taking the scenic route from the US to the UK I can bump up to Platinum status (if it's worth it), and since a lot of US to UK flights aren't cheap this late in the day, if I can hit those targets then it's a bonus...any help is much appreciated - thanks in advance!

Departure Airport(s): TUS, PHX ideally but can re-position to LAX or others
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10K
EQDs Needed: $2100
Max Budget: Less than $2100!
Available Travel Dates: Leaving US on Dec 15-16 via anywhere in the world for a few days, (Asia most likely I'm guessing?) arriving in UK on Dec 22-23.
Max Travel Nights: See above
AA only, or Partners Okay: OK
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
First, have you checked to see how much it would cost simply to buy up to PLT status? It might be less than $2100. You can check here.

The following comes out to about $2150.
PHX-DFW-NRT-TPE in Y is $896, departing on 12/18. Total 850 EQDs and 8,651 EQMS.

Then, TPE-NRT//HND-LHR in a mix of JL Y and PE is NWT 37,615 (or $1,253 according to Google). The TPE-NRT JL-coded flight is coded as K, which earns EQDs at a rate of 14% and 0.5x EQMs, and the HND-LHR BA-coded flight (on JL metal) is coded as T, which earns at a rate of 20% and 1.5x EQMs. So by my calculations, that's 1,385 EQDs and ~9600 EQMs.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: AA
it"s geggting harder now

Originally Posted by melrowgo
Just to confirm.... are you sharing this itinerary for others who might be needing it, or are you looking for assistance with the amount you'll be short?
Well, I am looking at doing this on monday, but I still will be short of 5k EQMS!!
And I am not going to spend on first class miami europe to get the 20k+ and 12k Dollars
I wish there was a faster way, expecting AA to call me after this trip to pay for the last 4.5 or 5k EQMS which they will ask $3k to 5k probably.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
jjb
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JGRITS
Departure Airport(s): ORD or MKE
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 18K EQMs
EQDs Needed: $1500
Max Budget: Less than $1500!
Available Travel Dates: ANY
Max Travel Nights: 3
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA and partners

Very flexible schedule -- can do multiple trips. Prefer to limit nights away/hotel spend as much as possible. Have Priority Pass and United Club
Is the 18,000 exact? You can do an easy MR to Hong Kong... (ORD-DFW-HKG-LAX-ORD) for $1,100... that gets you 17,927 EQM

Usually only one night in hotel, and Hong Kong airport has two great hotels at airport. My fav, Regal Hong Kong Airport (walking from terminal) and the Marriott which has a free 7min shuttle ride.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rdw72777
Most likely your trip to Lima would bring you to DFW or MIA. On one leg or the other you can probably force a PHX loop for the remaining miles. Something like ORD-DFW-LIM-MIA-PHX-ORD would get you a little over 10,000. Given your wide open dates I'd think you could get that for well under $1,500.

I mapped a true run (no vactation time on ground) on Saturday Dec 15/16 for $840 that should get you to 10k...but just play around for whatever you want. Lima is cheap so just route some extra legs in the US between ORD and other AA hubs and you'll have what you need.

http://www.google.com/flights/#searc...=ONEWORLD;eo=e
I actually ended up with a great QUICK option for tomorrow sunday... ORD-PHX-PDX-PHX-ORD for $935.75 in Business so double EQM, gets me 9,800. I also had a ton of Chase Ultimate Rewards through my Chase Sapphire Reserve card so it only came out to $623 in points as they count 50% more for travel. Might be a lot still, but its definitely the fastest way to get what I was missing for EXPLAT... I fly out tomorrow morning and back at night.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: OneWorld
Looking to get executive platinum

Departure Airport(s): MIA, FL, PBI
EQMs or EQSs Needed: EQM 10,000
EQDs Needed: no
Max Budget: 600$
Available Travel Dates: no 24th 25th or 31st
Max # Travel Nights: 3
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA Only
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: aadvantage, alaska
AA Platinum needed

I'm currently AA Platinum and looking to reach Platinum again for 2018 (just recently reached Gold level).

Departure Airport: LAX, SNA, LGB
Miles Needed: 8950
Required Spend or Budget: $410 needed but i can spend more (but less than the $1200 AA offered to keep my status)
Available Travel Dates: the rest of December, incl xmas and nye pretty much works and I can even stay a day or two if it's a new-to-me destination
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: whatever works to get the most EQMs

I also have a ton of milage points that I can use to supplement EQMs, although im still kinda fuzzy on how that works towards status levels. I also have lots of Chase rewards points that I can use if that helps. Thank you!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by egerandi
I'm currently AA Platinum and looking to reach Platinum again for 2018 (just recently reached Gold level).

Departure Airport: LAX, SNA, LGB
Miles Needed: 8950
Required Spend or Budget: $410 needed but i can spend more (but less than the $1200 AA offered to keep my status)
Available Travel Dates: the rest of December, incl xmas and nye pretty much works and I can even stay a day or two if it's a new-to-me destination
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: whatever works to get the most EQMs

I also have a ton of milage points that I can use to supplement EQMs, although im still kinda fuzzy on how that works towards status levels. I also have lots of Chase rewards points that I can use if that helps. Thank you!
Just to confirm... does the "$410 needed" mean EQDs that you need? And you're available any day except 12/25 and 12/31?
(Check the wiki for the format being used for requests. It helps clarify the need.)
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:09 pm

Just to confirm... does the "$410 needed" mean EQDs that you need? And you're available any day except 12/25 and 12/31?
(Check the wiki for the format being used for requests. It helps clarify the need.)
Oops, sorry about the rookie mistake and thanks for the quick reply!

I am $410 short of my EDQ, and I'm available all December, starting 12/16. The preferred dates are 12/24-28. I actually found a trip on 12/25 from LAX to QRO through DFW, rt, that would get me 8400 or so miles, if I'm calculating correctly, and the price is under $900 for an economy ticket. I've been wanting to go to Mexico, so might as well stick around for a couple of days while also keeping my status Can you confirm?
I just flew on Alaska the other day (LAX-PDX ow), so I'll need to make sure that's credited to my account too, to further reduce my EQM needed.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:44 pm

Oops, sorry about the rookie mistake and thanks for the quick reply!

I am $410 short of my EDQ, and I'm available all December, starting 12/16. The preferred dates are 12/24-28. I actually found a trip on 12/25 from LAX to QRO through DFW, rt, that would get me 8400 or so miles, if I'm calculating correctly, and the price is under $900 for an economy ticket. I've been wanting to go to Mexico, so might as well stick around for a couple of days while also keeping my status Can you confirm?
I just flew on Alaska the other day (LAX-PDX ow), so I'll need to make sure that's credited to my account too, to further reduce my EQM needed.
LAX-DFW-QRO-DFW-LAX is 4205 flown miles, so that's what you'd earn in Economy.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:58 pm

is 4205 flown miles, so that's what you'd earn in Economy.
Oh yeah, then I need double of that. Would buying first class double it? The AAdvantage rules are confusing
Otherwise, do you have suggestions for the 4500 and 8500+ mile runs for me?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by aparra86
Departure Airport(s): MIA, FL, PBI
EQMs or EQSs Needed: EQM 10,000
EQDs Needed: no
Max Budget: 600$
Available Travel Dates: no 24th 25th or 31st
Max # Travel Nights: 3
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA Only
MIA-LHR-MAD r/t :: $553 AA in Econ :: ~10300 EQM :: Dec 14-17 (overnight in MAD & LHR).
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by JJBAAWINGS
Well, I am looking at doing this on monday, but I still will be short of 5k EQMS!!
And I am not going to spend on first class miami europe to get the 20k+ and 12k Dollars
I wish there was a faster way, expecting AA to call me after this trip to pay for the last 4.5 or 5k EQMS which they will ask $3k to 5k probably.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
jjb
MIA-SFO-DFW-MIA :: $543 AA in Econ :: ~5100 EQM :: Dec 17 :: *** Price change forecast within hours ***
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Oh yeah, then I need double of that. Would buying first class double it? The AAdvantage rules are confusing
Otherwise, do you have suggestions for the 4500 and 8500+ mile runs for me?
You could do LAX-SLC-MIA-UIO-MIA-LAX with a quick few hours in Quito for $715 in economy. You could also stay longer for anywhere between $722 and $850.

This should get you 8,592 EQMs and about 570 EDQs.
egerandi likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: US, DL
Need 11k EQM from CLT

I’ve got spend way covered to re qualify EXP but will be about 10-11k short on EQM once my Citi 10K EQMs post.

Live in CLT
$3500 re-up offer from AA. Gah!

Departure Airport(s): CLT
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10-11K
EQDs Needed: zero
Max Budget: value, depends
Available Travel Dates: 12/19-20
Max # Travel Nights: 1
AA only, or Partners Okay: prefer AA but partners OK
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): no
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:28 pm

Departure Airport(s): BOS, JFK
EQMs or EQSs Needed: EQM 24,000
EQDs Needed: No
Max Budget: $1800
Available Travel Dates: 12/27-12/31
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y

Probably impossible at this point - but seeing if folks have ideas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.