Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by mdd100
I decided to do my running in early 2018 as I have OW Emerald through end of January.
I just booked multiple MR for January 2018 instead of worrying about it now. I'm doing ORD-HKG RT x4 on CX for 1,184/ticket in PE. I believe those prices are good until the 29th. https://goo.gl/flights/TXg7
Edit: oh wait, I see - you're going to use January to get ALL your miles in! Wow, that's awesome. Let us know how that works for you!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by RichVan
Edit: oh wait, I see - you're going to use January to get ALL your miles in! Wow, that's awesome. Let us know how that works for you!
I don't know what you originally wrote but I'm guessing you thought he was trying to qualify for 2018 in Jan. That's what I thought too.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hi everyone,

First time posting. Due to some trip cancellations I'm very much behind in requalifying fot EXP.

Departure Airport: ACT or DFW
Miles Needed: 22213 EQMs
Required Spend or Budget: No required spend (I have all the EQD I need). As cheap as possible, under $1000 would be really nice.
Available Travel Dates: Very flexible.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Anything that'll give me the AA EQMs
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hertz Gold
This is a really long shot given limited dates. Not even sure if it's worth it to go for Plat Pro at this point, already re-qualified for Plat.

Departure Airport: SFO, OAK or SJC
EQM Needed: 20,978 EQMs
EQD Needed: 1,645 EQDs
Budget: Low as possible
Available Travel Dates: All weekends between now and 12/21
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Anything that'll give me the AA EQMs + EQDs.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Originally Posted by Dean Weng
This is a really long shot given limited dates. Not even sure if it's worth it to go for Plat Pro at this point, already re-qualified for Plat.

you can get about 17500 EQM for $1270 this weekend. Only catch is that you have to book 3 separate tickets on AA.com. if booked together its going to 7K.

SJC - JFK
JFK - HKG
HKG - SJC

https://tinyurl.com/yckbn3dl
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by station
Hi everyone,

First time posting. Due to some trip cancellations I'm very much behind in requalifying fot EXP.

Departure Airport: ACT or DFW
Miles Needed: 22213 EQMs
Required Spend or Budget: No required spend (I have all the EQD I need). As cheap as possible, under $1000 would be really nice.
Available Travel Dates: Very flexible.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Anything that'll give me the AA EQMs
ACT-DFW-NRT-CGK (rt) on AA/JL in Y for $855 /\ 21,000 EQM ***Leaves 30 Nov***
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by melrowgo
I'd like to suggest a slight modification to the original post format developed by Pat89339 last year. This format has made it much easier to identify the key information needed to answer the requests. My suggestion is to include whether the poster has a Chinese visa. Often times a great MR destination is to PEK, PVG, or another Chinese destination, but these are generally moot options without a Chinese visa. (Certain exceptions exist.)

Therefore, I suggest the following:

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal, or Codeshares Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

Moving forward to next year, I would also suggest that the format be put in a Wiki with explanation as needed.
When requesting assistance, please indicate what your max budget actually is rather than "as low as possible". If unspecified you might, for example, receive a suggestion for a $1500 MR that won't be much help if your max budget is $800. Also, if your budget is $800 and that's unrealistic, it's good to learn right away before you spend a lot of time looking for MRs.

Last edited by melrowgo; Nov 28, 2017 at 11:07 pm
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dean Weng

Another option: SFO-HKG-TPE in PE on CX :: $1417 :: ~22,200 EQMs, ~2900 EQDs :: departs Friday 12/1
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriot Plat, SPG Plat, AS MVP 75k Gold, Wyndham Diamon, Caesar's Diamond,
Originally Posted by hiima
I don't know what you originally wrote but I'm guessing you thought he was trying to qualify for 2018 in Jan. That's what I thought too.
Yes that is correct. I'm running in January to get my miles in early that'll automatically qualify me for 2019 as well. I fell very short this year by EQD. My mileage is fine. This is purely an EQD run. They are all 4-5 days apart.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mdd100
Yes that is correct. I'm running in January to get my miles in early that'll automatically qualify me for 2019 as well. I fell very short this year by EQD. My mileage is fine. This is purely an EQD run. They are all 4-5 days apart.
Aren't you going to be a bit short just doing four ORD-HKG round-trips in CX PE? By my calculation that's only 93,528 EQMs.

I can see how this makes logical sense if you are very short on making EXP, since running in January is probably much cheaper than running in December (although fares tend to be cheap in early December, too). Moreover, with the potential to get extra SWUs for every 50,000 EQMs earned next year, you're not even really giving up the four SWUs you would earn by qualifying this year and next year.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: AA, BA, SN, KL, IHG, HH, BW, CC
Hi everyone, only EQDs needed here but a bit tricky since I am located in Europe and flying partner airlines gets me very few EQDs, even in J.
Thanks for any insights.

Departure Airport: BRU (possibly AMS, DUS, CGN)
EQMs Needed: none
EQDs Needed: $475
Budget: preferably < $1,000
Available Travel Dates: weekends are easiest but other days work, if not more than 2-3 days
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: codeshares okay but will need to spend more
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage
PHL Mileage runs for EQM

Howdy all,

Departure Airport: PHL (Main) but can get toJFK/EWR/BWI/DCI/IAD easily via Amtrak
Miles Needed: 9,400 for ExPlat
EQD needed: None (Hooray!!!)
Required Spend or Budget: Lowest possible, but I have a $250 travel credit on a Citi Prestiged and 150k points on Chase Sapphire that I can use so budget shouldn't be a huge deal
Available Travel Dates: Weekends or Fridays in December since I took them off, though willing to entertain mid-week ideas
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA only
Other: Have a valid passport, just got back from weeks in Asia so no interest in going to HK at the moment, current 2017 ExPlat so lounge access for turnarounds is already in place.

I guess mine is a little more open with budget/dates/location so I'm more curious for theoretical and actual trips. I'm really not looking to do anything more than fly to get miles; I don't have a huge reason to visit anywhere and have traveled a lot this year (just not all on planes or AA) so immediate returns are okay. But open to hearing ideas as I can take a handful of different day-trips or even an over-nighter if need be to get the miles. Seems like DCA/IAD to LAX is a good one but curious if there's any other cheap "true" mileage runs.

I could also do multiple runs, like on multiple different days too.

Thanks in advance :-)

Last edited by rdw72777; Nov 29, 2017 at 10:14 am
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by KipKe
Hi everyone, only EQDs needed here but a bit tricky since I am located in Europe and flying partner airlines gets me very few EQDs, even in J.
Thanks for any insights.

Departure Airport: BRU (possibly AMS, DUS, CGN)
EQMs Needed: none
EQDs Needed: $475
Budget: preferably < $1,000
Available Travel Dates: weekends are easiest but other days work, if not more than 2-3 days
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: codeshares okay but will need to spend more
BRU-LHR-DXB r/t :: 607E/$720 on BA in Econ (LHR-DXB-LXR books as PE) :: 1300+ EQD :: Dec 2-3 no overnight stay
BRU-LHR-DXB r/t :: 490E/$581 on BA in Econ (DXB-LXR books as PE) :: 800+ EQD :: Dec 2-3 overnight LHR
(GF indicates prices on both going up within 5 hours...)
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: Plt Pro / AA Plat for Life / 2MM
Departure Airport(s): MIA, FLL, PBI
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 24,819
EQDs Needed: 2,701
Max Budget: $1,500
Available Travel Dates: Weekends in Dec
Required Metal, or Codeshares Okay: Any carrier is OK
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

Quick turnarounds are key, since I can't miss much work. Would also want to travel in PE/J since this will require a lot of flying. One trip would be optimal. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Just qualified for PlatPro and realized that the real value is in ExPlat, not PlatPro, so trying to get there.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by rdw72777
Howdy all,

Departure Airport: PHL (Main) but can get toJFK/EWR/BWI/DCI/IAD easily via Amtrak
Miles Needed: 9,400 for ExPlat
EQD needed: None (Hooray!!!)
Required Spend or Budget: Lowest possible, but I have a $250 travel credit on a Citi Prestiged and 150k points on Chase Sapphire that I can use so budget shouldn't be a huge deal
Available Travel Dates: Weekends or Fridays in December since I took them off, though willing to entertain mid-week ideas
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA only
Other: Have a valid passport, just got back from weeks in Asia so no interest in going to HK at the moment, current 2017 ExPlat so lounge access for turnarounds is already in place.

I guess mine is a little more open with budget/dates/location so I'm more curious for theoretical and actual trips. I'm really not looking to do anything more than fly to get miles; I don't have a huge reason to visit anywhere and have traveled a lot this year (just not all on planes or AA) so immediate returns are okay. But open to hearing ideas as I can take a handful of different day-trips or even an over-nighter if need be to get the miles. Seems like DCA/IAD to LAX is a good one but curious if there's any other cheap "true" mileage runs.

I could also do multiple runs, like on multiple different days too.

Thanks in advance :-)
Pack your board shorts for a few hours at the beach - BWI-PHX-HNL r/t :: $712 Econ AA :: 9800 EQM :: Dec 7-8 no overnight
A few midweek choices are available from your airports for less.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.