Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Travelplz
Anyway I can get this for $500 so I get plat pro next year? I could do a special fare by purchasing through chase. Not sure it is worth just getting any $1100 ticket

Departure Airport: NYC (LGA, EWR, JFK)
Miles Needed: 10,000 EQM $1,100 EQD
Required Spend or Budget: ~$500
Available Travel Dates: Nov 24-27, dec 1-3, 9-11, 15-18, 28-31 (ideally get what I need and come back Jan 1 if the flight comes back on 31)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: No limits as long as I get the AA EQD/EQM
Have you looked at 2 trips from JFK to the west coast (SFO, LAX, SJC, SAN, etc)? A quick searched shows flights for $230ish and an extra $10-$20 for connections. If you connect, and find a special fare, you can do this twice with a quick turn and stay under $500 in actual spend. Just verify the fare is a special fare when you book.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Anyway I can get this for $500 so I get plat pro next year? I could do a special fare by purchasing through chase. Not sure it is worth just getting any $1100 ticket

I recently bought a ticket through Chase (points+cash) for travel next year and the fare details showed up no AA.com.
Does this kind of ticket still special fare?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pigx5
I recently bought a ticket through Chase (points+cash) for travel next year and the fare details showed up no AA.com.
Does this kind of ticket still special fare?
My guess is this is a published fare. This happened to me once, and I called Chase & AA & they confirmed it was published. Here's an interesting article on how to tell if you have a bulk/wholesale fare:
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...ulk-fare-code/
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'm trying to make EXP for next year.

Departing from: RIC or CHO
EQD Needed: $297
EQM Needed: 7,262

I'd prefer to bang it out in a day or two over any weekend through the end of the year. J or F would be nice.
I've found lots of routings between $800 - $1000 to places like SJU and LAX, but I'd rather spend closer to the required EQD ($297) if possible.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP

Departure Airport: NYC (LGA, EWR, JFK)
Miles Needed: 10,000 EQM $1,100 EQD
Required Spend or Budget: ~$500
Available Travel Dates: Nov 24-27, dec 1-3, 9-11, 15-18, 28-31 (ideally get what I need and come back Jan 1 if the flight comes back on 31)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: No limits as long as I get the AA EQD/EQM
Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
Have you looked at 2 trips from JFK to the west coast (SFO, LAX, SJC, SAN, etc)? A quick searched shows flights for $230ish and an extra $10-$20 for connections. If you connect, and find a special fare, you can do this twice with a quick turn and stay under $500 in actual spend. Just verify the fare is a special fare when you book.
Just be ​​​​​​​absolutely sure you're not buying a published fare, otherwise it won't post as distance-based EQDs.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:51 pm

duh...thanks I was looking outside the States for one destination all the fun places in Europe are never discounted in December.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by skydve1
I'm trying to make EXP for next year.

Departing from: RIC or CHO
EQD Needed: $297
EQM Needed: 7,262

I'd prefer to bang it out in a day or two over any weekend through the end of the year. J or F would be nice.
I've found lots of routings between $800 - $1000 to places like SJU and LAX, but I'd rather spend closer to the required EQD ($297) if possible.
CHO-CLT-SEA-DFW-TPA-MIA-PHL-CHO on AA in Y for $473 /\ 387 EQD /\ 7,300 EQM
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:32 pm

I'm debating about requalifying for EXP, and if I can do it for $1k or less, then it's worth it to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
EQD required: $3,000
Departing: ORD
Dates: 12/14 or later (preferably over a weekend or 2)
Max cost: $1,000
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:20 pm

5000 EQMs needed from Chicago

Hi friends,

I’m looking for 5000 EQMs to reach Executive Platinum on AA. Appreciate the assistance!

Departure Airport: ORD, MKE in that order of preference
Miles Needed: 5000
Required Spend or Budget: no required spend. Budget $500
Available Travel Dates: Open
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Not sure what this means but sure.

Im also traveling from Chicago to Toledo on business for the next few weeks so I could also take connecting routes to Toledo if the price is appropriate.

thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by ChicagoKevin
Hi friends,

I’m looking for 5000 EQMs to reach Executive Platinum on AA. Appreciate the assistance!

Im also traveling from Chicago to Toledo on business for the next few weeks so I could also take connecting routes to Toledo if the price is appropriate.

thanks!
I see round trip to LAX with same day turns are as low as $175. Do this twice & you are good to go.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:39 pm

I'm debating about requalifying for EXP, and if I can do it for $1k or less, then it's worth it to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
Highly unlikely for those dates. Even under ideal circumstances, it's hard to find something like that in a single trip.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by ChicagoKevin
Hi friends,

thanks!
ORD-CLT-FLL-CLT-LAX-DFW-ORD on AA in Y for $358 /\ 6,000 EQM
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:46 am

deleted

Last edited by melrowgo; Nov 17, 2017 at 1:55 am
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by swingaling
CHO-CLT-SEA-DFW-TPA-MIA-PHL-CHO on AA in Y for $473 /\ 387 EQD /\ 7,300 EQM
Thank you!!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:52 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
It can be done but it would be a bit more than $1000 and couple long weekends. For that spend, you'll need something over 3x EQD's: like a ARN-LHR-SFO/SJC/LAX RT in BA PE. These require a Sun or 3 day

Positioning that time of year gets pricy. And, the AY or BA flights don't always match up. But looks like something like:

BA/AY (can be booked as AA codeshares) NYC-ARN 12/13 lv 17:45 av 10:35+1 ret 12/24 lv 13:45 av 15:55+1 for $616
nest a BA PE ARN-LHR-LAX 12/14 lv 20:15 av 13:33+1
nest a LAX-ORD RT of your choice 12/15 or 12/16
return of LAX-ORD-LAX 12/23 early to get the
BA PE LAX-LHR-ARN 12/23 lv 17:50 av 12:30+1
Ret of the NYC-ARN RT BA/AY 12/24 lv 13:45 av 15:55+1

ORD-NYC find a cheap RT award or paid fare that works. AA is about $159 RT per GF; Other the cheapest ORD-ARN RT looks to be $909 with a combination of AA, BA and IB;
NYC-ARN BA/AY/AA (see if AA codeshare vs low fare AY/BA percentage comes out better) $616 EQD's depend on fare so could be a 10% of distance AY/BA (so about 800 EQD's,) or just do the AA codeshare for about 500+. Norwegian seems to be out of this price range, so normally I'd recommend them at about $300 RT but you need all the EQD's you can get;
ARN-LHR-LAX BA RT $765 EQD's are 2547 for this RT;
LAX-ORD AA RT $383 if you split it between the two weekends

The LAX-ORD RT can be avoided if you spend the Sun nt overstay or 3 days required by the BA PE fare. Assuming you can find the flights that match up in positioning and return. Otherwise, this would get you a couple long weekend trips. Bring your winter clothes, but then you're ChicagoDave, so it should be a brisk winter day at home.

Obviously, not exactly what you would like but then few things in life are. And ask yourself, is EXP worth it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.