Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Originally Posted by JJBAAWINGS
Thanks Flyerhandle, where do I get the conversion page on what number of EQD EMS and RDM's i can get by flying on the other airlines my friend?
Thank you
You got some direction below. If you go up a level on aa.com from that BA page, there is a listing of all the partner airlines, with their respective charts. But, then you need to understand the booking codes, and which ones qualify for one level of earnings or another. For purposes of meeting EQDs, these PE flights on certain partner airlines, as well as certain flights that qualify as "special fares" [use the search function] give you the most bang for your actual buck spent on airfare.

Do some reading, as there is a learning curve if you are going to get serious about shooting for EXP, particularly now that EQDs are part of the equation.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA
how do i quote 2 stops?

Originally Posted by Flyerhandle
This trip was suggested to me, also ex-MIA, a few pages back.

MIA-LHR-JNB/HKG on BA in PE for $1,800-$2,200 | 4,000 EQD and roughly 30,000 EQM, which will substantially plug your gaps. I may do this, as well as JFK-HKG-AKL on CX in PE, around $2,700, 5,400 EQD and 41,000 EQM.

Both give you a 2:1 $/EQD multiplier, so you could spend around $4,500 and cover the $8,000 you are short for EXP, and you would have the EQMs you need for EXP as well.
I went on the BA website, can't find having the 3 stops MIA-LHR-JNB/HKG
It's just giving me MIA-LHR-HKG. What's the trick here?
And I am assuming the return has to be also the exact same stops?
Thanks
JB
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Originally Posted by JJBAAWINGS
I went on the BA website, can't find having the 3 stops MIA-LHR-JNB/HKG
It's just giving me MIA-LHR-HKG. What's the trick here?
And I am assuming the return has to be also the exact same stops?
Thanks
JB

Ooops. I should have been more clear with a newbie. It was an optional flight, meaning either MIA-LHR-JNB or MIA-LHR-HKG, instead. Both being about the same mileage. Sometimes you will see MRs [mileage runs] listed like JFK/LGA/EWR/PHL/DCA/IAD-LHR/LGW/CDG/AMS meaning you can depart from any of the first listed airports and land at any in the second group on the fare being shown.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:58 pm

Hello Gang!

FT helped me reach explat last year, and while I didn't think I was going to get close enough to keep it, It seems like work is getting me the EQDs but with Y-class short hauls, so I'm a little short on mileage. Help would definitely be appreciated.

Departure Airport: SJC,SFO,PDX,SEA
Miles Needed: 20K
Required Spend or Budget: <$2K (ideally)
Available Travel Dates: Outgoing Thu or Fri (or Thanksgiving or Xmas)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay

Thanks!
PeteK
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PeterK
Departure Airport: SJC,SFO,PDX,SEA
Miles Needed: 20K
Required Spend or Budget: <$2K (ideally)
Available Travel Dates: Outgoing Thu or Fri (or Thanksgiving or Xmas)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay
SJC-LAX-NRT-CGK (rt) on AA/JL in Y for $758 | 19,100 EQM

SFO-HKG-TPE (rt) on CX in PE for $1,838 | 22,200 EQM

The CX option has less seat time and goes to an easier destination. Plus, the excellent lounges at HKG.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:54 am

Help a newb find an AA mileage run out of DFW?!??

I’ve had to fly a bunch for work this year and have earned platinum on AA for he first time. I’m now at $9700 EQD and 68,300 EQM. I think I’ve earned EQD at a faster pace because of two long trips on Qatar Airways.

First, would it be worth the effort to get to platinum pro for this year?

I only have one other trip planned for this year and it’s gonna net me about 400EQD AND 1000EQM.

Second, would anyone be able to help me find a great way to do an old-fashioned mileage run to get the roughly 6K EQM’s that I’d need for platinum pro?

I was hoping I could squeeze in another trip half way around the world to get to EXP but that doesn’t look like it’s in the cards for this year.

Thanks for any advice/help you guys can give.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Iwasdamon
I’ve had to fly a bunch for work this year and have earned platinum on AA for he first time. I’m now at $9700 EQD and 68,300 EQM. I think I’ve earned EQD at a faster pace because of two long trips on Qatar Airways.

I only have one other trip planned for this year and it’s gonna net me about 400EQD AND 1000EQM.

Second, would anyone be able to help me find a great way to do an old-fashioned mileage run to get the roughly 6K EQM’s that I’d need for platinum pro?

I was hoping I could squeeze in another trip half way around the world to get to EXP but that doesn’t look like it’s in the cards for this year.

please see the AA thread in the mileage run discussion forum
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:15 am

Help and advice. Mileage run out of DFW

Departure Airport: DFW
Miles Needed: 6000
Required Spend or Budget: no EQD needed
Available Travel Dates: before end of year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: yes—just need EQM’s

Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Trying to hang on to Platinum for next year. Don’t think I will get any more work trips this year. Here is what I need. Thanks!

Departure Airport: ORD
Miles Needed: 14,013 EQM
Required Spend or Budget: need $1,468 EQD
Available Travel Dates: Any time before the end of the year, but not over Thanksgiving weekend, otherwise preferably over weekends.

Last edited by MSP_Monopoly; Oct 30, 2017 at 11:08 am
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Iwasdamon
Departure Airport: DFW
Miles Needed: 6000
Required Spend or Budget: no EQD needed
Available Travel Dates: before end of year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: yes—just need EQM’s
DFW-SEA-ANC (rt) on AA/AS in Y for $653 | 6,200 EQM

Be sure to buy the AA flight numbers for maximum EQMs.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Trying to hang on to Platinum for next year. Don’t think I will get any more work trips this year. Here is what I need. Thanks!

Available Travel Dates: Any time before the end of the year, but not over Thanksgiving weekend, otherwise preferably over weekends.
I am quite new to the process, but I thought I could at least try and look.
This will put you over by about $100 EQD but it's the closest I could find for a weekend MR. Please feel free to double check my numbers. Books into V for $1565 at 15285 miles.

11NOV2017-12NOV2017; ORD-DFW-ICN-DFW-ORD; AA1611-AA281-AA280-AA1142
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by ClearlyPixelated
This will put you over by about $100 EQD but it's the closest I could find for a weekend MR. Please feel free to double check my numbers. Books into V for $1565 at 15285 miles.

Be careful. Ticket price and EQDs are not the same, as taxes and airport fees do not count.

This particular ticket would earn 1,468 EQDs.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ClearlyPixelated

This would be brutal as there is literally no ground time. Question for those that may know, is 2 hours even enough time at ICN to clear customs and go back through security? Assuming inbound is on time.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
Be careful. Ticket price and EQDs are not the same, as taxes and airport fees do not count.

This particular ticket would earn 1,468 EQDs.
Thank you for the double check! I will keep this in mind when I do future suggestions. I suppose that I am fortunate that it ended up being the exact required EQDs.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly

Ok wow I totally messed up my tracking spreadsheet and put in that I need to earn a total of 60,000 EQMs when it should have been 50,000 miles. So I only need 4,013 EQM. But still need the $1,468 EQD.

Maybe a weekend transcon in F or a weekend trip to Paris or London?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.