Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by AATinkerbell
Just finished a business class LAX- JNB RT that I thought would get me over the EXP line but no!! I thought it would be closer to 80K but its more like 60K in total...I really do have to pay attention to how its calculated I am way off!! Going to research the best way to do that, but wanted to ask here. It's likely I will just be happy with Plat Pro but had to ask with my limited time. Thanks all you are doing Santa's work!

Departure Airport(s): LAX
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 7,000 EQMs to equal EXP
EQDs Needed: 0 (over $15k already)
Max Budget: $1,500, can go more if need to
Available Travel Dates: 12/24-26 12/30-31
Max # Travel Nights: 1-2

Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Yes
Not a lot of time, but you can do this pretty easy with a LAX-MIA transcon on 12/28 for $1000. LAX-MIA-BNA-LAX.

Even shorter on 12/30 is LAX-SAN-ORD-LAX for $1050.

Both give you at least 7,000 EQMs.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Dec 18, 2018 at 9:07 am
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
If you need that many EQDs (which, after tax, is probably closer to $2500-2800 or more in actual cost), I'd check to see if you're eligible for a status buy-up. They offer lots of us these things every year, and while for many/most it's not worth the cost vs organically generated EQD/M/S's (or runs of the similar sort) perhaps in your case it is, if a possibility at all.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: American Airlines
Hi nihmrodd

I received the status buy up email from AA but they want $2400+

I was thinking that an international flight on a partner airline could generate EQD's through percentage of miles.

I appreciate your help as I am somewhat new to the whole travel rewards world.

Happy holidays
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While the $2,500-2,800 figure above could be slightly lower, it won't be by much. If you can simply pay the $2,400 and not have to fly a needless trip, that seems to be good value.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:21 pm

You are probably right Often1

Now I'm wondering if I could somehow double dip in a way by using my Aviator Red to buy up the status on 12/31.
At least in theory, I would then qualify for the Pro tier by virtue of the buy up while also having the $2400 count towards my $25000 yearly spend to get the $3000 EQD's for 2019.

The fine print says, earn $3000 EQD's after spending $25000 in net purchases that "Post" to the card between Jan 1st and Dec 31st. Anyone know whether or not I'm reading this correctly and that "Post" is the operative word here?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:01 pm

Long shot but you never know! I've tried multi-city routes and first class tickets but I can't seem to find the right combo. Appreciate any help that can be provided. Thanks!

Departure Airport(s): DEN
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10695
EQDs Needed: $891
Max Budget: $1100
Available Travel Dates: 12/29 - 12/31
Max # Travel Nights: 1
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ram_in_Vegas
You are probably right Often1

Now I'm wondering if I could somehow double dip in a way by using my Aviator Red to buy up the status on 12/31.
At least in theory, I would then qualify for the Pro tier by virtue of the buy up while also having the $2400 count towards my $25000 yearly spend to get the $3000 EQD's for 2019.

The fine print says, earn $3000 EQD's after spending $25000 in net purchases that "Post" to the card between Jan 1st and Dec 31st. Anyone know whether or not I'm reading this correctly and that "Post" is the operative word here?
If it works like the Delta Amex MQM Boosts, they will be backdated and credit towards 2018 totals even if they "post" in 2019.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:53 pm

Departure Airport(s): RIC
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget: $1000
Available Travel Dates: Any weekend in January
Max # Travel Nights: 1-2
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

I have 4 systemwide upgrades that expire 2/1/19 and would like to do a mileage run that uses them. Could leave Friday night.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by Ram_in_Vegas
Just to confirm they do indeed back date it. So if you pass the 25k mark this month The will post on or after Jan 10th but backdated to December.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:24 am

Departure Airport(s): DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 995 EQM
EQDs Needed: None
Max Budget: $250
Available Travel Dates: Any
Max # Travel Nights: 0 (same day return) / 1
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Saurabh Gupta
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 995 EQM
EQDs Needed: None
Max Budget: $250
Available Travel Dates: Any
Max # Travel Nights: 0 (same day return) / 1
AA has gotten really tight on out and back fast nonstops: they always want some oddball connection.

DFW-TUS-LAX-DFW for $234 on 12/24. You can do that same route in Basic Economy for $174.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:32 pm

DFW Plat Pro to EP 13250 needed

EQMs or EQSs Needed: 13250 EQM's needed
EQDs Needed: 0
Max Budget: $1500
Available Travel Dates: evening of Dec 20, Dec 21, Dec 22, Dec 26, Dec 27, Dec 28, Dec 29
Max # Travel Nights: Any on dates above
AA only, or Partners Okay: Any
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by mmaso
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 13250 EQM's needed
EQDs Needed: 0
Max Budget: $1500
Available Travel Dates: evening of Dec 20, Dec 21, Dec 22, Dec 26, Dec 27, Dec 28, Dec 29
Max # Travel Nights: Any on dates above
DFW-PVG-DFW depart 12/27 and return 12/29 on the non-stop is $1543.

DFW-PEK-DFW depart 12/27 and return 12/29 on the non-stop is $1350.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:11 pm

Departure Airport(s): DCA
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 5000 EQM's needed
EQDs Needed: 150
Max Budget: $600
Available Travel Dates: any before 31 DEC
Max # Travel Nights: 1
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXPL
Same-Day Short Mileage Run

It feels almost kind of silly, but truth is I can't find any decent price to get the last miles I need.

Departure Airport: CLT
Miles Needed: 1,000
Required Spend or Budget: As low as possible
Available Travel Dates: Same Day, 26th, 27th or 28th.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA

Thanks for any help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.