Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ankg
Departure Airport(s): SDF, CVG, LEX, IND
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 15000-20,000
EQDs Needed: $2000
Max Budget: $2000
Available Travel Dates: Dec 13-18
Max # Travel Nights: 1
AA only, or Partners Okay: all okay

Realized I am not too far off from Platinum Pro-looking for some creative ideas. I also have 2 AA credit cards (Aviator and Silver Elite).
Do you have a Chinese visa? do you need 15k or 20k? It's a big difference.
BA 2478, BA 4270, IB 7901, IB 7900, BA 4271, BA 4680 with a mix of metal for $1955 partially in PE is GCMAP = 15,267 mi 15-DEC through 19-DEC (1 or 2 nights overnight required).
EQD's 2058 and EQMs 16,266.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:50 am

I'm stumped on finding something with high EQM/$ ratio since I'm so close to my next tier -- does anyone have any tips for finding short runs?

Departure Airport(s): SFO and surrounding
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 2,590 to plat
EQDs Needed: done
Max Budget: $500
Available Travel Dates: prefer weekends, or any time after 12/21
Max # Travel Nights: 2, or longer if after 12/21
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y

Best I have so far: OAK-PHX-LAX-PDX-LAX-PHX-OAK (3960 EQM) for $402 on 12/27-12/30, which is not really cheaper than just booking a nonstop RT somewhere >1250mi away from SFO.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
JFK-LAX-SLC-LAX-JFK is $476 in Economy, 12/13–12/16. 6129 EQM.
LGA-MIA-MCO-LGA is $244 in Economy, same-day turnaround on 12/12. 2546 EQM.

Total: $720, 8675 EQMs, and a few days in SLC/Park City.
Thank you for this!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: American Airlines
Prefer to keep my travel inside the United States is this possible? Thank you!!

Departure Airport(s): ORD

EQMs or EQSs Needed: 14,311 EQM
EQDs Needed: $315
Max Budget: $1600
Available Travel Dates: December 7-11
Max # Travel Nights: 2
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA or partners
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:24 am

Red face AA EQM help/advice needed please!

Hi! I am 3,931 EQMs away from Platinum. Below are my flights left for the rest of the year, all in Economy Q class:

PHL to PBI - 951 EQMs
PBI to CLT - 590 EQMs
CLT to PBI - 590 EQMs
MIA to BZE - 767 EQMs

so to make 50,000 EQMs I'll need an additional 1,033 EQMs

First is sold out on the PHL to PBI leg.
AA told me to "Dual-Up" or "Y-Up" to the CLT legs - never have done this so I don't know how much this will cost.
AA has offered me Platinum for $995, which is A LOT of $$

anyone have suggestions on what you would do in this situation? I hate to lose out on Platinum for 1,033 EQMs!!

Thank you so much!!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: PAL million miler (1.6 M ), AA Platinum ( almost 1 M)
Hi

[QUOTE=Whodunit68;30497066]I'm in almost exactly the same boat. My opinion - figure out what the cost of a trip is plus the cost of upgrade (miles+cash). If that's less than what you're willing to spend, no, it's not worth it. If it's more, then yes, it is.
you didn't indicate what your available travel dates are, whether you have a visa for China, etc.
If you have Chinese visa, you can do PE on AA metal to PVG for $1358 out the 13th and back the 16th for a leisurely weekend.
If you can leave really soon, 14,520 mi * 1.5 for PE (21,780) for $980 (AA 193, AA 192) LAX-HKG-LAX on Dec 5-Dec 7. Both directions on 777. Heck If I could take the days off I'd do that.

if you can fly out on 25-Dec, you can drop by a couple hundred and you don't need to spend a night (LAX-DFW-PVG-LAX).[/QUOT

well the upgrade would be $700 plus 50k miles.. do you think it is worth it for let us say $1,200? I can do anytime in december but dec 5 is too early.. no, i dont have china visa but passed by there last month lax to pvg to mnl . Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:18 am

you totally missed answering my question.
perhaps I posted in the wrong section.
I only need 1,033 EQMs.
never mind.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by infiven
I'm stumped on finding something with high EQM/$ ratio since I'm so close to my next tier -- does anyone have any tips for finding short runs?

Departure Airport(s): SFO and surrounding
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 2,590 to plat
EQDs Needed: done
Max Budget: $500
Available Travel Dates: prefer weekends, or any time after 12/21
Max # Travel Nights: 2, or longer if after 12/21

Best I have so far: OAK-PHX-LAX-PDX-LAX-PHX-OAK (3960 EQM) for $402 on 12/27-12/30, which is not really cheaper than just booking a nonstop RT somewhere >1250mi away from SFO.
If you're free this Saturday, SFO-PHX-LGB-PHX-LAX-SFO seems to be available for $144, and with 500-mile minimums should get you 2,651 EQMs.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by lsreece
you totally missed answering my question.
perhaps I posted in the wrong section.
I only need 1,033 EQMs.
never mind.
You can do PHL-BOS-PHL-BWI for about $160 on the 27th. We're pretty pressed for time since we're right on the 21 day point which puts us in the middle of the holiday season.

You could always fly Xmas day!

Also found PHL-ROA-CLT-ROA or PHL-CLT-ORF-PHL for $234 on 12/31. Good for 1,500 miles.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Dec 4, 2018 at 10:48 am
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:52 am

Hi all, new here. I'm AA Platinum Pro and currently only qualifying for Gold next year. Would like to at least get back up to Platinum (I think a run for Platinum Pro would be too difficult or expensive...). Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Departure Airport: CLT
Miles Needed: 5,700 EQMs
Required Spend or Budget: no required spend/budget
Available Travel Dates: preferably one day trip on Sunday 12/9 or 12/16
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: codeshares ok
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA PPRO; Marriott Rewards
First time user here, so apologies and appreciations in advance. I'm currently PPro with $13K EQD, 86,831 EQM and 42 EQS. Offer was/is $2645 for EPlat. I don't have any more trips planned this year.

Departure Airport(s): SGF (Limited options and higher priced tickets generally)
EQMs Needed: 13169
EQDs Needed: 0
Max Budget: $2K
Available Travel Dates: Dec. 6-7, Dec. 18-21, Dec. 26-28
Max # Travel Nights: 1 max
AA only, or Partners Okay: Anyone that will get me my EQM's
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mulakehound
First time user here, so apologies and appreciations in advance. I'm currently PPro with $13K EQD, 86,831 EQM and 42 EQS. Offer was/is $2645 for EPlat. I don't have any more trips planned this year.

Departure Airport(s): SGF (Limited options and higher priced tickets generally)
EQMs Needed: 13169
Max Budget: $2K
Available Travel Dates: Dec. 6-7, Dec. 18-21, Dec. 26-28
Max # Travel Nights: 1 max
AA only, or Partners Okay: Anyone that will get me my EQM's
if you can go until Dec 9, you can go AA Metal to HKG for $769! This will get you around 16k miles.
standby1995 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Josephmj
Hi all, new here. I'm AA Platinum Pro and currently only qualifying for Gold next year. Would like to at least get back up to Platinum (I think a run for Platinum Pro would be too difficult or expensive...). Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Departure Airport: CLT
Miles Needed: 5,700 EQMs
Required Spend or Budget: no required spend/budget
Available Travel Dates: preferably one day trip on Sunday 12/9 or 12/16
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: codeshares ok
RDU-CLT-DFW-SFO-CLT-RDU for $570 nets 5,684 EQMs on 12/16 with same day turn (red eye).
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:05 pm

DFW - 20,500 needed for EP

Departure Airport(s): DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 20,500 EQM's needed
Max Budget: $1700
Available Travel Dates: evening of Dec 7, Dec 8, Dec 9, Dec 16, Dec 17
Max # Travel Nights: Any on dates above
AA only, or Partners Okay: Any

Seems DFW-LAX- PEK is 15k EQM's for $1405 for DEC 7-9. Anything better for 5k more miles?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mmaso
Departure Airport(s): DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 20,500 EQM's needed
Max Budget: $1700
Available Travel Dates: evening of Dec 7, Dec 8, Dec 9, Dec 16, Dec 17
Max # Travel Nights: Any on dates above
AA only, or Partners Okay: Any

Seems DFW-LAX- PEK is 15k EQM's for $1405 for DEC 7-9. Anything better for 5k more miles?
DFW-HKG-CGK-NRT-DFW on all AA-marketed flights is $1279. That would get you 20,185 EQM.

Edit: If you need more miles, you could do PE on the return, which brings the total fare to $1529 (just search on AA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.