Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Can't believe it's come to this again.

Departure Airport(s): ORD
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10.5k
EQDs Needed: 0 (woohoo!)
Max Budget: $750
Available Travel Dates: 12/13-12/18
Max # Travel Nights: 3
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners ok
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by phazedowt
Can't believe it's come to this again.

Departure Airport(s): ORD
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10.5k
EQDs Needed: 0 (woohoo!)
Max Budget: $750
Available Travel Dates: 12/13-12/18
Max # Travel Nights: 3
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners ok
you've got some pretty tight restrictions there.....lots of EQMs for a pretty low budget within a small window during the holidays and no Chinese visa. Wow.
I found trips to Asia in that window for ~$960 (TYO, BKK) with a turn that will easily give you the mileage. This routing is very close to your budget but leaves you ~500 EQMs short though with 500 mile mins you should get to 10,314. for Great Circle Mapper and is $757 return next day - https://goo.gl/xtVLVb (ORD-SAN-LAX-LIH-PHX-SFO-ORD).
Almost time to have a cocktail on the beach.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP 2015, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Diamond Marriott Silver Alamo Budget Hertz
Departure Airport: ORD, but can position if needed for good deal
Miles Needed: Plat = 19772 Plat Pro = 44772
EQD Needed: Plat = 3258 Plat Pro 6258
Required Spend or Budget: 2-4K depending on what it will end up with.
Available Travel Dates: all weekends in December but 12/7. Have 4 vacations days to play with also.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: whatever is required to meet requirements, have 1 SWU left over.
Current status: EXP
Chinese visa: No
Been to HKG, SIN and BKK recently open to new Asian cities or South America etc.

Might just be happy getting Plat, do not really see many benefits of pursing PlatPro, mainly looking at getting OW Sapphire for international travel lounge access. Any pros of getting PLAT vs PLAT pro other then earlier clearance of upgrade lists and
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Angust
Departure Airport: ORD, but can position if needed for good deal
Miles Needed: Plat = 19772 Plat Pro = 44772
EQD Needed: Plat = 3258 Plat Pro 6258
Required Spend or Budget: 2-4K depending on what it will end up with.
Available Travel Dates: all weekends in December but 12/7. Have 4 vacations days to play with also.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: whatever is required to meet requirements, have 1 SWU left over.
Been to HKG, SIN and BKK recently open to new Asian cities or South America etc.

Might just be happy getting Plat, do not really see many benefits of pursing PlatPro, mainly looking at getting OW Sapphire for international travel lounge access. Any pros of getting PLAT vs PLAT pro other then earlier clearance of upgrade lists and
ORD-LAX-HKG-JNB-HKG-LAX-ORD in CX PE (except the domestic legs, which are in AA Y) is $2590 if you fly over Christmas (12/23–26). It will get you >45,000 EQMs but only around 5700 EQDs. But then you'd only be around 500 EQDs short; just buy a first class ticket somewhere for $600.

The major differences between Plat and Plat Pro, in my mind (besides the increased RDM bonus and generally higher priority), are unlimited sticker upgrades and free same-day confirmed flight changes.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
ORD-LAX-HKG-JNB-HKG-LAX-ORD in CX PE (except the domestic legs, which are in AA Y) is $2590 if you fly over Christmas (12/23–26). It will get you >45,000 EQMs but only around 5700 EQDs. But then you'd only be around 500 EQDs short; just buy a first class ticket somewhere for $600.

The major differences between Plat and Plat Pro, in my mind (besides the increased RDM bonus and generally higher priority), are unlimited sticker upgrades and free same-day confirmed flight changes.
nice find, as usual, Mr. EPH!
Yeah those sticker upgrades and same-day flight changes have come in handy this year for us - my wife is PP (but is about to qualify for EP for 2019) and I'm EP.
The marrying status thing almost never functions properly for upgrades so she's left to upgrade with her status and when it does clear, it's nice not to have to worry about 500-mi stickers.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:58 pm

How did you calculate the AA segments in terms of EQD's? Using milecalc, I came up with 5556 in EQD's and 41,673 EQM's for the CX segments, but that will still leave me ~300 EQD's short. I've gotten screwed before where they came up with a ridiculously low amount of EQD's for the AA segment when it was an AA-purchased ticket but included flights on other carriers. I should be fine in EQM's, but cutting it close with EQD's in qualifying for EP. Since the miles probably won't post until after Dec 31, I wouldn't know for sure until it's too late to do a last minute mileage run. I'd have to position to ORD anyway so I guess I could just make sure I book AA flights that would put me at least 100 EQD's over what I should need.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:47 pm

Mileage Run MR from CMH need ~8-9K miles

close to EXP need a few more miles at the end of the year

Departure Airport(s): CMH
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 9,000
EQDs Needed: 0
Max Budget: lower is better
Available Travel Dates: Weekends in December, Last week of December
Max # Travel Nights: dont care
AA only, or Partners Okay: partner ok
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by kyparamedic
How did you calculate the AA segments in terms of EQD's? Using milecalc, I came up with 5556 in EQD's and 41,673 EQM's for the CX segments, but that will still leave me ~300 EQD's short. I've gotten screwed before where they came up with a ridiculously low amount of EQD's for the AA segment when it was an AA-purchased ticket but included flights on other carriers. I should be fine in EQM's, but cutting it close with EQD's in qualifying for EP. Since the miles probably won't post until after Dec 31, I wouldn't know for sure until it's too late to do a last minute mileage run. I'd have to position to ORD anyway so I guess I could just make sure I book AA flights that would put me at least 100 EQD's over what I should need.
The EQD for the AA segments (about 150 EQD) was a really rough estimate based on the mileage of ORD-LAX-ORD relative to the rest of the mileage. I would not hang your hat on that estimate.

If you need to position anyways, and don't need the EQM as much as EQD, I would consider JFK-HKG-JNB-HKG-JFK all in CX PE. It's the same price, no overnight needed in LAX, and will get you more EQD.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA
Smile End of year Mileage run from ABQ

I am so bad at figuring out mileage runs, and I am within 25k of Exec. Platinum.

Departure Airport(s): ABQ
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 25K
EQDs Needed:0
Max Budget: 1500 - 2000
Available Travel Dates: 12/26 - 12/31
Max # Travel Nights: any
AA only, or Partners Okay: any
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):N
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: American
AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status Challenge Runs help needed

Looking for help:

Departure Airport: DFW, AUS, OKC, Shreveport
Miles Needed: 6400
Required Spend or Budget: $800 or less
Available Travel Dates: 12/14-12/16 or 12/28-29
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: ok

For each response. Please quote the original request.

On behalf to the Mileage Run Moderator team, I would like to express our thanks to the many FlyerTalkers who rose to the challenge and helped so many members with their helpful suggestions.

These consolidates threads made managing the year end traffic much smoother.

Hopefully, all were successful with their runs.

Pat89339 on behalf of the Mileage Run Moderator team
[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:32 pm

Hope I am posting this correctly:

Departure Airport: JFK, IAD, EWR, PHL, BWI
Miles Needed: 31,229 EQM
EQD Needed: $2,000
Required Spend or Budget: <$3,000
Available Travel Dates: any time 12/10-13, 12/17-20
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: either

Looking at a few options right now that cost around $3k on CX JFK-HKG-JNB for $2,981. Looking to travel PE on CX or JAL or econ on qualifying AAV
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by toddbartos
Hope I am posting this correctly:

Departure Airport: JFK, IAD, EWR, PHL, BWI
Miles Needed: 31,229 EQM
EQD Needed: $2,000
Required Spend or Budget: <$3,000
Available Travel Dates: any time 12/10-13, 12/17-20
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: either

Looking at a few options right now that cost around $3k on CX JFK-HKG-JNB for $2,981. Looking to travel PE on CX or JAL or econ on qualifying AAV
JFK-NRT-SYD-NRT-JFK in JL PE is $2750, but the dates I'm looking at are 12/7–12/9 (12/10 return is also possible). 34,770 EQMs and 4,636 EQD.
toddbartos likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:34 am

thanks - had been looking at that run as well for a few years now to try JL PE seats on the 777/787. Appreciate the help!!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
<Deleted duplicate post>
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
DFW-SAN-LAX-LIH-LAX-SFO-DFW for $814. With the 500-mile minimums, it should be around 8800 EQMs. You leave Saturday at noon and arrive back at DFW on Sunday afternoon. A short 90 minute turnaround in Kauai.
Sorry, first responded as a quick reply instead of a quote. That is awesome. Thank you. Any guidance on construction tips in case my wife wants me gone a different 24 hours?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.