Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Steven6702
Departure Airport(s): DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 3,976
EQDs Needed: $0
Max Budget: Under $500
Available Travel Dates: Late August, sporadically throughout September, or late November / early December.
Available Travel Nights: 0 please!
AA only, or Partners Okay: Don't care.
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y, but don't think time will allow!
No overnights or red-eyes makes doing this in Econ logistically impossible, I think. You can find business class seats to either LAX or MIA -- either of which would get you over 4k EQM -- for $542 and $602 respectively. If it really truly has to be under $500, I can only suggest watching out for occasional price drops to either or maybe even to NYC.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:10 pm

Departure Airport: NYC
EQM Needed: 14,171
EQS Needed: 40
EQD Needed: $1,623
Budget: as low as possible
Available Travel Dates: 8/17 - 8/21, 8/27 - 8/31, multiple 2 - 3 day periods September - December
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA or Partners
Chinese Visa: No

Trying to get Platinum again.

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:08 pm

Need help

Departure Airport(s): TPA/MCO
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10K
EQDs Needed: $1200
Max Budget: Under under $2000
Available Travel Dates: ASAP
Available Travel Nights: 1-2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Dont care.
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

have a promotional offer and Im running out of time, need the 10k ASAP any assistance would be great

thanks!!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ECM5826
Departure Airport(s): TPA/MCO
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10K
EQDs Needed: $1200
Max Budget: Under under $2000
Available Travel Dates: ASAP
Available Travel Nights: 1-2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Dont care.

have a promotional offer and Im running out of time, need the 10k ASAP any assistance would be great

thanks!!

try tpa-dfw-sea in F there is a 1400+ flight for 8/25-26th

should get you everything
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:42 am

AA MR from CLT 20-30K EQMs for ~<$800 towards Exec Plat

Departure Airport(s): CLT (although in past MR, I have re-positioned since CLT is expensive)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 30K EQMs (for the right weekend trip could do 20K and save last 10K for a 2nd easier late year MR)
EQDs Needed: 0
Max Budget: <=$800 (if higher fare for PE or B makes EQMs more attainable in 1 MR, then open to higher ~$1200?)
Available Travel Dates: 10/20, 10/27, (backup 12/14 from CLT or MIA)
Max # Travel Nights: 0-1 Sleep in planes. Ideal leave Fri back Mon
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA preferred since I can try and use SWUs

That time of year again and it seems that my gap to fill this year is bigger. I am fine on EQDs, but will need some EQMs. Based on already booked trips, I estimate about 30K EQMs needed to renew Exec Plat. Can maybe go for 20K or do a premium fare to close the gap and see if a last minute Dec trip is still needed. Thank you @swingaling that last year found me a $573 IAH-LAX-HKG that combined with a cheap positioning CLT-IAH, basically got me ~20K EQMs. Plus got me a 12hr 1st visit to HKG and good Dim sum.

This year, looking at a few possible weekends including departing Fridays 10/20, 10/27 or possible last ditch on 12/14 if first MR is short of EQMs. Always hard to start and end in CLT as it drives the price way up, so looking for some suggestions on routes to hit the above. Last 2 MRs had me back home Monday that usually works best. Even best if I can use SWU for any long haul. Any help for domestic ping-pong type of MR or international would be much appreciated. Looked around and not much recently for CLT.

Thank you!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Luis M.
Departure Airport(s): CLT (although in past MR, I have re-positioned since CLT is expensive)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 30K EQMs (for the right weekend trip could do 20K and save last 10K for a 2nd easier late year MR)
EQDs Needed: 0
Max Budget: <=$800 (if higher fare for PE or B makes EQMs more attainable in 1 MR, then open to higher ~$1200?)
Available Travel Dates: 10/20, 10/27, (backup 12/14 from CLT or MIA)
Max # Travel Nights: 0-1 Sleep in planes. Ideal leave Fri back Mon
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA preferred since I can try and use SWUs
This will do the trick, but it's a bit pricier.

CLT-CGK on AA/JL in PE for $1,430: 32,200 EQM
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by aztimm
Depending on dates, there are some itineries PHX-PEK for $500-600. And there's some PHX-PVG for similar. These seem to be out there through much of Oct and Nov. Not sure I'd want to subject myself to that, but I did back-to-back weekends of PHX-MUC back about 10 years ago and managed to survive, in coach.
Thank you for this info I will definitely check it out. Apologies for the late thank you, the system didn't send an email that anyone had replied and I missed it.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT 5MM
Departure Airport(s): ORD
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 20K EQMs to make PP and 45K to make EP
EQDs Needed: None
Max Budget: $5,000
Available Travel Dates: Any dates between November 26th and December 15th
Max # Travel Nights: 8 but prefer shorter
AA only, or Partners Okay: Prefer AA so I can upgrade if in economy
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Yes
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by jelarv
Departure Airport(s): ORD
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 20K EQMs to make PP and 45K to make EP
EQDs Needed: None
Max Budget: $5,000
Available Travel Dates: Any dates between November 26th and December 15th
Max # Travel Nights: 8 but prefer shorter
AA only, or Partners Okay: Prefer AA so I can upgrade if in economy
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Yes
ORD-LHR-BOM for $3,300 --- 33k EQM (if you get all AA coded flights)

ORD-HEL-SIN for $3,600 --- 31k EQM
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:24 am

Departure Airport: London heathrow
Miles Needed: 21,000
Required Spend or Budget: 1,000 pounds or less
Available Travel Dates: january
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: nope

Last edited by Pat89339; Aug 18, 2018 at 8:22 am
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:30 am

September 7th platinum pro challenge

First time poster here. Thanks for any advice!

Miles Needed: 13,100
Required Spend or Budget: $1660 EQD's needed. would prefer to spend as little as possible
Available Travel Dates: 8/24 - 8/27 or 8/31-9/4
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA, BA, Finnair, JAL or Iberia

Last edited by Pat89339; Aug 18, 2018 at 9:49 am
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by ramirez60
First time poster here. Thanks for any advice!

Miles Needed: 13,100
Required Spend or Budget: $1660 EQD's needed. would prefer to spend as little as possible
Available Travel Dates: 8/24 - 8/27 or 8/31-9/4
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA, BA, Finnair, JAL or Iberia

Good luck finding a cheap fare on the last holiday weekend of the summer.

Question - -why are you limiting to those 4 partners, and are those your only available dates? If you're flexible, you could do JFK-HKG as a Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday same-day turnaround on CX. It would earn you 16k EQM and 3200 EQD for under $1000, flying Y. And for about $1300, you can fly PEY. Here's an example. Look at dates starting the 2nd week of September

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...WORLD;sd:1;t:f
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by jeffeverde
Good luck finding a cheap fare on the last holiday weekend of the summer.

Question - -why are you limiting to those 4 partners, and are those your only available dates? If you're flexible, you could do JFK-HKG as a Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday same-day turnaround on CX. It would earn you 16k EQM and 3200 EQD for under $1000, flying Y. And for about $1300, you can fly PEY. Here's an example. Look at dates starting the 2nd week of September
Thanks for the reply! The promotional status challenge I'm doing is only eligible for those partners, CX is not.

I'm ok spending whatever I have to to hit the threshold, just trying to find the best possible deal. Might just do a weekend in Vegas and then a trip to LA on the 7th with parts in J or F to hit the threshold. I had a flight booked from DEL - LAX on the 5th that hit my goals but I had to cancel that trip and kinda scrambling to fill in now.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by ramirez60
Thanks for the reply! The promotional status challenge I'm doing is only eligible for those partners, CX is not.

I'm ok spending whatever I have to to hit the threshold, just trying to find the best possible deal. Might just do a weekend in Vegas and then a trip to LA on the 7th with parts in J or F to hit the threshold. I had a flight booked from DEL - LAX on the 5th that hit my goals but I had to cancel that trip and kinda scrambling to fill in now.
The kink in your search (aside from the short timeline with a holiday weekend in it :P ) is hitting the EQD's while minimizing cost. Flying AA metal or an AA codeshare, your EQD is directly tied to the ticket price, and that $1660 EQD is going to require about $1800-2000 in out-out-pocket spend.

If your challenge requires AA metal or a codeshare, then it is what it is and you're searching for a $2000 ticket that will get you 13100 EQM - which is pretty easy to do.

If your challenge requires one of those partners, but it doesn't require a codeshare ticket, then you're looking for the cheapest 13100 mile Y or 8740 mile PE that you can find. (those partners all earn at 1xEQM and 20%EQD per airmile for Y and 1.5xEQM/20%EQD for PE)
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by jeffeverde
The kink in your search (aside from the short timeline with a holiday weekend in it :P ) is hitting the EQD's while minimizing cost. Flying AA metal or an AA codeshare, your EQD is directly tied to the ticket price, and that $1660 EQD is going to require about $1800-2000 in out-out-pocket spend.

If your challenge requires AA metal or a codeshare, then it is what it is and you're searching for a $2000 ticket that will get you 13100 EQM - which is pretty easy to do.

If your challenge requires one of those partners, but it doesn't require a codeshare ticket, then you're looking for the cheapest 13100 mile Y or 8740 mile PE that you can find. (those partners all earn at 1xEQM and 20%EQD per airmile for Y and 1.5xEQM/20%EQD for PE)
It doesn't require a codeshare ticket.

I had a ~$1500 ticket from DEL - LAX on JAL to NRT and AA to LAX and it gave me $1734 in eqd.

But yes you completely understand my struggle. Not necessarily looking for a deal, just trying to minimize the pain of the EQD process. Thanks for the help, I get the general rule EQM/EQD rules for partners but i need to be careful about fare codes with those right? Like BA has some that are .5XEQM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.