Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Originally Posted by Sjkabak
Thanks for the feedback. Still not sure what I am going to do. Perhaps if someone can help me find a good deal, I'll give it a try. Can someone please help me find the lowest possible airfare for the following:

Departure Airport: MIA, FLL
Miles Needed: 25K EQM & $3K EQD
Required Spend or Budget: As little as possible
Available Travel Dates: November 12-17 is ideal. Fastest turnaround possible is also preffered. Just trying to fly and get home.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:Any carrier that will give me the miles and dollars I need.
As to your initial question, I have personally found EXP to be invaluable this year, and will be doing whatever is necessary to maintain it. For the $2K remaining, it's a no brainer in my book. Just the four SWUs alone make that worthwhile. For me, having free same day flight change has saved me thousands of dollars already, and otherwise de-stressed other days where I was running late, and just called and switched flights. I have also had other fees and charges which I should have paid waived or drastically reduced, as well as being very well-treated overall, with almost 100% upgraded to first on every domestic flight, including an award flight I took.

I am also ex-MIA. This flight plan was suggested to me.
MIA-LHR-JNB/HKG on BA in PE for $1,800-$2,200 | 4,000 EQD The EQMs will be more than you require. I don't have the actual number, as I was only focused on the EQDs.

It's actually more EQMs and EQDs than you need, but for a good multiplier. Otherwise, you want to be looking for deals in PE on non-AA marketed flights, particularly BA, CX or AY, which give the most distance based EQDs. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by Flyerhandle
As to your initial question, I have personally found EXP to be invaluable this year, and will be doing whatever is necessary to maintain it. For the $2K remaining, it's a no brainer in my book. Just the four SWUs alone make that worthwhile. For me, having free same day flight change has saved me thousands of dollars already, and otherwise de-stressed other days where I was running late, and just called and switched flights. I have also had other fees and charges which I should have paid waived or drastically reduced, as well as being very well-treated overall, with almost 100% upgraded to first on every domestic flight, including an award flight I took.

I am also ex-MIA. This flight plan was suggested to me.
MIA-LHR-JNB/HKG on BA in PE for $1,800-$2,200 | 4,000 EQD The EQMs will be more than you require. I don't have the actual number, as I was only focused on the EQDs.

It's actually more EQMs and EQDs than you need, but for a good multiplier. Otherwise, you want to be looking for deals in PE on non-AA marketed flights, particularly BA, CX or AY, which give the most distance based EQDs. Hope this helps.
Agree with all..the EXP has me at almost 85% upgrades, SWU's clear 100% and the SDC has saved me overnights more times than I can count! Am doing LAX-JNB-LAX for approx 2k..will give me 4400 EQD and 33k EQM;s to finish me out for next yr. JL has an interesting run--JFK-NRT-SYD with quick turnaround for 2345 most days. Nets you the 4500EQD and 33 EQM..could make your EXP with three runs.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Plat
NYC AA run

Hi everyone...NYC based AA guy looking to make ExPlat for the first time...need 14,200 EQMs, EQD not a factor, looking for a quick turn. Limited days off, so looking to center the trip around one of the weekends listed below. Thanks for the help!!

Departure Airport: JFK, LGA, EWR, PHL
Miles Needed: 14,200
Required Spend or Budget: As cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: 11/3-11/5, 11/10-11/12, 12/1-12/3, 12/8-12/10
Required Metal or Codeshares okay AA pref
FYI...dont have Chinese visa
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I'm going to finish at 137,295 EQM on the year and I'd like to make a final push towards 150,000 EQM to get the extra SWUs. However, I want to keep the spend as minimal as possible! Need 12,705 EQMs more. Nowhere near $40K spend on my Citi Exec card, so that's not going to help me. Also don't want to spend more than the SWUs would even be worth.

Departure Airport: LAX/BUR
Miles Needed: 12,705 EQM (EQD Not a Factor)
Required Spend or Budget: As Little As Possible
Available Travel Dates: Nov 11-12, Dec 1-3, Dec 9-10, Dec 15-17, Dec 23-25
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Would prefer to not fly any fares that earn only 50% EQM
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TomFoolery
Hi everyone...NYC based AA guy looking to make ExPlat for the first time...need 14,200 EQMs, EQD not a factor, looking for a quick turn. Limited days off, so looking to center the trip around one of the weekends listed below. Thanks for the help!!

Departure Airport: JFK, LGA, EWR, PHL
Miles Needed: 14,200
Required Spend or Budget: As cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: 11/3-11/5, 11/10-11/12, 12/1-12/3, 12/8-12/10
Required Metal or Codeshares okay AA pref
FYI...dont have Chinese visa
JFK-HKG (rt) on AA in Y for $667 | 20,000 EQM
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
I'm going to finish at 137,295 EQM on the year and I'd like to make a final push towards 150,000 EQM to get the extra SWUs. However, I want to keep the spend as minimal as possible! Need 12,705 EQMs more. Nowhere near $40K spend on my Citi Exec card, so that's not going to help me. Also don't want to spend more than the SWUs would even be worth.

Departure Airport: LAX/BUR
Miles Needed: 12,705 EQM (EQD Not a Factor)
Required Spend or Budget: As Little As Possible
Available Travel Dates: Nov 11-12, Dec 1-3, Dec 9-10, Dec 15-17, Dec 23-25
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Would prefer to not fly any fares that earn only 50% EQM
LAX-HKG (rt) on AA in Y for $757 | 14,500 EQM
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:33 pm

Please help

Hi,
I am in need of EQD/EQM to requalify for ex-plat.
Here are the details, any help is appreciated.

Departure Airport: LAX/LGB/BOM
Miles Needed: 20,500 EQM
EQD`s Needed 5400
Available Travel Dates: Flexible

Last edited by flyer31; Oct 23, 2017 at 2:23 pm
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sjkabak
I am on track to meet the requirement for Plat Pro this year. I will be short about 25K EQM and $3K EQD. My current plans only have me barely making the Plat Pro threshold. I have looked into many option to get those extra miles and dollars and it will cost me about $2k and 3-4 days of flying around the world. I have the time, the money is a stretch but I can make it work.

My question to everyone out there is: Is it really worth it? I would like to hear people's opinions because everyone I have spoken to in thinks I am crazy for considering this yet everyone online seems to think it is worth it. Trying to make a final decision on whether to do a run or not.

Thanks!
almost in the same boat but from LAX. I will finish with 66K eqm and about $8.7K eqD including the $3k from aviator. Was about to give up on EXP but if you guys can help me with a PE run to make it, i am all for it. Can only travel 3 or 4 days at most due to 2 young kids. Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by flyer31
Hi,
I am in need of EQD/EQM to requalify for 1k.

Departure Airport: LAX/BUR/LGB/BOM
EQD`s Needed 5400
You trying for AA or AS status?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by PDXAA
You trying for AA or AS status?
AA status, have modified my posting.

Hi,

EQD`s Needed 5400
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:11 pm

AA status, have modified my posting.

Hi,

EQD`s Needed 5400
BOM-LHR-LAX//LAX-ORD-LHR-BOM on BA/AA in PE/Y for $1,991 | 28,000 EQM | 3,600 EQD

LAX-LHR-JNB on BA in PE for $2,114 | 33,000 EQM | 4,400 EQD

Last edited by swingaling; Oct 23, 2017 at 6:18 pm
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by swingaling
BOM-LHR-LAX//LAX-ORD-LHR-BOM on BA/AA in PE/Y for $1,991 | 28,000 EQM | 3,600 EQD

LAX-LHR-JNB on BA in PE for $2,114 | 33,000 EQM | 4,400 EQD
Thanks, but I will have to make 2 of these for the PQDs
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Thanks, but I will have to make 2 of these for the PQDs
I'm not sure what a "PQD" is but, this will get you darn close with EQD and over on EQM.

LAX>HKG>AKL>HKG>LAX

It books in to Y. I did this run this year in PE. You might play with the dates to find something in PE. The turn in AKL is doable, as I've done it.

https://www.orbitz.com/Flight-Inform...ayMode=regular

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...X880;sc=p;a=CX
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by PDXAA
I'm not sure what a "PQD" is but, this will get you darn close with EQD and over on EQM.

LAX>HKG>AKL>HKG>LAX

It books in to Y. I did this run this year in PE. You might play with the dates to find something in PE. The turn in AKL is doable, as I've done it.

https://www.orbitz.com/Flight-Inform...ayMode=regular

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...X880;sc=p;a=CX
Leaving from LAX, it will generate 5,150 EQD (assuming it books into Y/E/R fare classes). I did this exact trip last month.

Thanks, but I will have to make 2 of these for the PQD’s
If you want to do this cost effectively, you'll have to fly in PE (J will be too expensive). That means you'll earn EQDs at a rate of 20% of distance traveled. In order to earn 5,400 EQD on a single ticket, you'll have to travel a distance of 27,000 miles.

Trips of that length are rare and getting that done (on a single ticket) from any of your chosen airports is probably not possible. It can be done if you reposition.

The following will earn what you want in a single trip:

BOS-HKG-AKL (rt) on CX in PE for $2,733 | 40,000 EQM | 5,450 EQD

Last edited by swingaling; Oct 24, 2017 at 10:27 am
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by swingaling
Leaving from LAX, it will generate 5,150 EQD (assuming it books into Y/E/R fare classes). I did this exact trip last month.

If you want to do this cost effectively, you'll have to fly in PE (J will be too expensive). That means you'll earn EQDs at a rate of 20% of distance traveled. In order to earn 5,400 EQD on a single ticket, you'll have to travel a distance of 27,000 miles.

Trips of that length are rare and getting that done (on a single ticket) from any of your chosen airports is probably not possible. It can be done if you reposition.

The following will earn what you want in a single trip:

BOS-HKG-AKL (rt) on CX in PE for $2,733 | 40,000 EQM | 5,450 EQD
Thanks, yes 5450 EQD`s is a tall order.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.