Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FrankDFW
swingaling:

Thanks for all you do - I'm learning.

Do you know with these types of fares - do they allow you to take a day in the stopovers? Thinking about bringing the Misses and having her see some of these places.

Still have to figure out how to use my SWUs - maybe I'll use them in January though.

K
In general, yes. The EWR-HKG-SIN fare on CX allows stops in HKG; the first is typically free. The fare I priced out includes 3 days in SIN, but you can easily change the dates to give yourself more (or less) time there. It shouldn't have much effect on the cost.

Example with a 26-hr stop in HKG here. Adds about $20 to the cost.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by swingaling
38k in a single trip is only feasible if you're flying a premium fare. Multiple trips could get it done, though.

ORD-NRT-CGK(rt) on AA/JL for $765 | 19,700 EQM | **Buy the AA flight numbers**

This type of fare is getting harder and harder to find as we get closer to EoY. It's widely available next year, but that doesn't help you.

Something like the following would nearly get it done in a single trip for you.

YVR-HKG-AKL(rt) on CX in PE for $2,326 | 36,200 EQM
Thanks a bunch, swingaling! Now to convince the wife!
swingaling likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Need 50k miles on AA out of ORD by end of year

So might be crazy but I'm short 50K to keep ExPlat this year on AA. I wasnt even going to try this year, as next year I wasnt expecting to do much travel, but things have changed and I have a ton of travel scheduled for next year so its worth it.

I'm looking for weekends out of ORD... anything friday afternoon to sunday night... I was looking at my faithful ORD-HKG trips but this year they look more expensive than ever...

I was also looking at CGK but no way I can do it without taking a friday or a monday off.

Money isnt a huge factor... I'd spend $4,000 if i could do it in one or two weekends.

Any ideas?

thanks!!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Departure Airport: MIA, FLL, WPB
Miles Needed: 300
Required Spend or Budget: $1k
Available Travel Dates: 11/18-19, 12/16-17

Need about $1K EQD, same day turn, max miles earned. Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
AA run ORD

Departure Airport: ORD
Miles Needed: 50K EQM, no EQD
Required Spend or Budget: Flexible
Available Travel Dates: Now until end of year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA

So might be crazy but I'm short 50K to keep ExPlat this year on AA. I wasnt even going to try this year, as next year I wasnt expecting to do much travel, but things have changed and I have a ton of travel scheduled for next year so its worth it.

I'm looking for weekends out of ORD... anything friday afternoon to sunday night... I was looking at my faithful ORD-HKG trips but this year they look more expensive than ever...

I was also looking at CGK but no way I can do it without taking a friday or a monday off.

Money isnt a huge factor... I'd spend $4,000 if i could do it in one or two weekends.

Any ideas?

thanks!!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by chaschas

Any ideas?

thanks!!
You'll do well to leave from another city with better frequency, such as NY. ORD flights to HKG and LHR have really bad timing with respect to connections.

ORD/LAX/BOS-LHR-JNB (rt) on BA in PE for $1,800 - $2,200 | ~30k EQM | Quick turn possible

ORD-HKG-MLE (rt) on CX in PE for $1,950 | 30k EQM
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by chaschas
Departure Airport: ORD
Miles Needed: 50K EQM, no EQD
Required Spend or Budget: Flexible
Available Travel Dates: Now until end of year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA

Any ideas?

thanks!!

ORD-DFW/LAX-HKG/NRT-CGK is also a good option for about $760 for 22k EQM.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by WPHamilton
Departure Airport: MIA, FLL, WPB
Miles Needed: 300
Required Spend or Budget: $1k
Available Travel Dates: 11/18-19, 12/16-17

Need about $1K EQD, same day turn, max miles earned. Thanks!
Any ticket that costs around $1,100 will do the trick. No good workarounds for only 1k EQD and such limited dates unfortunately.

This flight to LAS will give you 1,060 EQD and 10,800 EQM. Cost is $1,178.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by FrankDFW
Departure Airport: DFW

Miles Needed: 25K EQM/4K EQD

Spend/Budget: Flexible, but prefer to keep it down

Available Travel Dates: December (1st half)

Other: I have SWUs and wouldn't mind spending some time in DPS

Also, is there a link to figure out how to find good mileage runs and estimate EQM/EQDs without trial/error on AA websites?
You can do DFW-LHR-HKG on BA PE for about $2k (with the AARP discount). If you happen to have a Chinese visa, there are similar prices for PEK and PVG. Or if you want to go further afield, there are similar prices to BKK.

These flights are a double-redeye, so if you leave DFW on a Tuesday night, you'd arrive at HKG on Thursday. There are some options to have a day in London on the way; I did that for a run to JNB 2 years ago and it was great.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: Plt Pro / AA Plat for Life / 2MM
Plat Pro vs Exec Plat - Is it really worth the ~$2k to do a MR?

I am on track to meet the requirement for Plat Pro this year. I will be short about 25K EQM and $3K EQD. My current plans only have me barely making the Plat Pro threshold. I have looked into many option to get those extra miles and dollars and it will cost me about $2k and 3-4 days of flying around the world. I have the time, the money is a stretch but I can make it work.

My question to everyone out there is: Is it really worth it? I would like to hear people's opinions because everyone I have spoken to in thinks I am crazy for considering this yet everyone online seems to think it is worth it. Trying to make a final decision on whether to do a run or not.

Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG SA, AA ExP, UA Silver, O6 Gold
Originally Posted by Sjkabak
I am on track to meet the requirement for Plat Pro this year. I will be short about 25K EQM and $3K EQD. My current plans only have me barely making the Plat Pro threshold. I have looked into many option to get those extra miles and dollars and it will cost me about $2k and 3-4 days of flying around the world. I have the time, the money is a stretch but I can make it work.

My question to everyone out there is: Is it really worth it? I would like to hear people's opinions because everyone I have spoken to in thinks I am crazy for considering this yet everyone online seems to think it is worth it. Trying to make a final decision on whether to do a run or not.

Thanks!
$2K For Plat Pro, no.
The only pro is free domestic upgrade.

$2K for ExP, Yes.
AA offers ExP four SWUs which are almost worth the amount you spent.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by hatey
$2K For Plat Pro, no.

$2K for ExP, Yes.
If I qualify for ExP in 2017, do I receive 4 SWUs in 2017 and then automatically get 4 more in 2018? I know I'd get the ExP status technically for '17 and then again for '18 but don't know if the same applies to SWUs. That would also make a difference in whether or not to invest in the MR.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG SA, AA ExP, UA Silver, O6 Gold
If I qualify for ExP in 2017, do I receive 4 SWUs in 2017 and then automatically get 4 more in 2018? I know I'd get the ExP status technically for '17 and then again for '18 but don't know if the same applies to SWUs. That would also make a difference in whether or not to invest in the MR.
4 SWUs at the moment you qualify
quote from AA
Executive Platinum members get 4 systemwide upgrades when qualifying or re-qualifying. You can earn up to 4 more systemwide upgrades; 2 at 150,000 EQMs and 2 at 200,000 EQMs.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Delta Platinum
I was thinking the same thing. I'm a lowly PLAT, (I believe it was given to me, as well), and I guess my run would be for Gold. I do enjoy choosing seats and priority boarding, but I don't know if this would be beneficial to me next year.

I spend too much time flying around in military aircraft, I guess. I have some 600k+ AA miles. Status "would" be nice, though.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by hatey
$2K For Plat Pro, no.

$2K for ExP, Yes.
Thanks for the feedback. Still not sure what I am going to do. Perhaps if someone can help me find a good deal, I'll give it a try. Can someone please help me find the lowest possible airfare for the following:

Departure Airport: MIA, FLL
Miles Needed: 25K EQM & $3K EQD
Required Spend or Budget: As little as possible
Available Travel Dates: November 12-17 is ideal. Fastest turnaround possible is also preffered. Just trying to fly and get home.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:Any carrier that will give me the miles and dollars I need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.