Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Departure Airport: Muscat, Oman, or any ME-adacent airport
Miles needed: 20,000 EQM on AA
Budget: 1-1.5k
Available travel dates: 10/12-10/16, or shorter

Did a good amount of research. I'm leaning towards MCT-BKK in J for $950 on qatar airways, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears. I saw Sri Lankan airlines had some $1300 fares to HKG, but I might want to go to BKK for the better planes (A380, 787-8, etc)
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Departure Airport: Muscat, Oman, or any ME-adacent airport
Miles needed: 20,000 EQM on AA
Budget: 1-1.5k
Available travel dates: 10/12-10/16, or shorter

Did a good amount of research. I'm leaning towards MCT-BKK in J for $950 on qatar airways, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears. I saw Sri Lankan airlines had some $1300 fares to HKG, but I might want to go to BKK for the better planes (A380, 787-8, etc)
MCT-BKK rt will only earn around 11k EQM. Were you looking for a second trip in addition? Or a different location instead? Even adding a BKK-HKG leg will only bring you to 14k total...

If you want to do the 20k in a single trip, you'll need to go to N or S America, Eastern Australia or New Zealand.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
I guess I was looking for more creative flight options within my budget, to maximize EQM/EQD.

My fallback is MCT-BKK to try the J product, and also cheap hotels. Just making sure to look at all my options before booking today.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:10 pm

AA Status Run Help

Hi there,

I appreciate any help or suggestions!

I am trying to requalify for AA Platinum. Here is my current status:

Home Airport: NYC
EQD: 2745
EQM: 26,101
EQS: 19

I have three business trips scheduled through year end and I would like to maximize the value of each for my status. These are paid for by conference organizers up to the indicated dollar amount. I am happy to add stops and/or pay up to the budget to increase my EQD.

Trip #1 : NYC > CHI, 9/24 (anytime) - 9/26 (after 1pm), Budget $350
I have found and put on Hold the following already:
AA 3056, EWR > ORD at 2:20pm,
returning 9/26 on AA 1079 ORD > DCA 1:30pm - 4:21pm and then AA 104 DCA > JFK from 5:22pm - 6:51pm
EQM: 1,829
EQD: 306
EQS: 3

Does anyone have thoughts on a better way to maximize EQM and EQD here?

Trip #2 : NYC > SFO
Arrive SFO on 10/24, depart 10/27 (early evening or overnight)
Budget $400

Trip #3 : NYC > LAX (or LGB or SNA)
Arrive in CA 12/2, depart 12/5 (early evening or overnight)
Budget $400

After these three, I will need to figure out how to get the rest of what I need for Platinum. I do have 11/21 evening through 11/26 to do a run.

Thank you for your help!

BKLNYC
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC Super Elite
Alright, I'm ready to book the last MR or two I'll need to get me over the 12K EQD. Would appreciate some advice on routings to see if I'm not missing anything:

Departure Airport: I'm YVR, so that helps with CX/BA, but can position as needed
Miles Needed: 35-40K EQM's based on rest of travel confirmed for 2017. EQDs: maybe 8K?
Required Spend or Budget: Whatever I have to
Available Travel Dates: Whenever
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: BA/CX/OW

Looks like my best bet is looking to be CX PE YVR-HKG-AKL/JNB (or SYD/MEL), but I'm seeing the odd BA YVR-LHR-JNB at around the same $2300 USD return?

Wondering if there are any flights I could nest or bounce between some other cities to make it another crazy run like I did last year to PTY (9 segments, 4 days)?

Willing to take an entire week to do a big run if need be. Also willing to try my luck on the same day AKL turn as well.

Suggestions? Or is the CX PE run from YVR going to be my best bet?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
__Duplicate post deleted_

Last edited by aktchi; Sep 4, 2017 at 4:23 pm
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:21 pm

@RichVan One strategy you can consider is YVR-CAI, and nested within it a CAI-Somewhere round trip.

Advantages: (1) If you have not been to CAI, this gives you an interesting (and inexpensive) stop. (2) You automatically add extra flights as you'd be flying to/from somebody's hub, HKG or LHR. (3) Flights are also somewhat cheaper out of CAI (though I realize that this is not a big issue for you).

From the viewpoint of EQDs earned per dollar spent, PE is generally most efficient. However, these are very long flights and if you can afford to mix some J in, I would recommend that.

If paying for J, don't bother with BA. There is simply no comparison between CX, QR, JL etc on one hand and BA on the other.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
If paying for J, don't bother with BA. There is simply no comparison between CX, QR, JL etc on one hand and BA on the other.
Thanks for the tip on CAI, that's been on my list. Maybe I'll even add a 2 day stop or something there to go see some things. What's best OW airlines to nest a J fare from there? Qatar? Royal Jordanian?

As far as BA J, yeah, those seats are terrible. Flew LHR-YVR last fall in one (got an op-up to F on the way there on the 380).

There's one personal caveat I found with BA J though: if you can get upstairs on the 747 in J, it's a great seat since there are so few passengers and 2 dedicated crew. It felt like a private jet to me!
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by RichVan
Thanks for the tip on CAI, that's been on my list. Maybe I'll even add a 2 day stop or something there to go see some things. What's best OW airlines to nest a J fare from there? Qatar? Royal Jordanian?

As far as BA J, yeah, those seats are terrible. Flew LHR-YVR last fall in one (got an op-up to F on the way there on the 380).

There's one personal caveat I found with BA J though: if you can get upstairs on the 747 in J, it's a great seat since there are so few passengers and 2 dedicated crew. It felt like a private jet to me!
Sadly, QR is not an option to/from CAI at present (if it was, it would have been the best).

RJ should be, but never came up in my searches (limited data point, don't rule it out).

BA is not exciting, but adequate and functional. If flying J between LHR and USA, I tend to prefer AA metal with BA flight number.

Good luck.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
@RichVan...

I'm doing a MR in Dec in BA PE, AUS-LHR-PVG. Well not quite a MR, since I'm staying there a few days.
BA PE seems to be one of the less expensive ways to get both EQD and EQM. I'd meet your EQM and half your EQD in just one trip.

Unfortunately the prices from YVR seem crazy. And the BA site errored out when I tried SEA (maybe SEA-LHR is seasonal?)
If this is something you'd like, I'd say to play around on the BA site and see what you find, and do a positioning flight if needed.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like details of my itinerary.

Oh and with BA, don't forget the AARP and BA Chase Visa discounts ^
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
@RichVan...

I'm doing a MR in Dec in BA PE, AUS-LHR-PVG. Well not quite a MR, since I'm staying there a few days.
BA PE seems to be one of the less expensive ways to get both EQD and EQM. I'd meet your EQM and half your EQD in just one trip.

Unfortunately the prices from YVR seem crazy. And the BA site errored out when I tried SEA (maybe SEA-LHR is seasonal?)
If this is something you'd like, I'd say to play around on the BA site and see what you find, and do a positioning flight if needed.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like details of my itinerary.

Oh and with BA, don't forget the AARP and BA Chase Visa discounts ^
Thanks for the kind guidance, @aztimm! I'm still working on it.
Another kind soul here was able to help me out on a nested BA Cairo run:
YVR-LHR-CAI (in PE)

CAI-LHR-DFW-YVR-LHR-CAI (in J (I and R, actually), all coding to BA flight numbers)

CAI-LHR-YVR (in PE except the CAI-LHR segment)

It's pricing out at around $4500 CAD all-in, and based on my napkin math would get me around 6000 EQDs, getting me *close* to the 12K spend, but not tipping me over. I have a set of flights on hold until lunchtime tomorrow to decide if I'm going to book it.

It looks like if I do a PE CX run from YVR to JNB 2x at about $2800 CAD each will net me (again napkin math) a total of ~9600 EQDs, putting me well over what I need. I could also do an AKL run if I wanted to see something new.

So based on the rest of my travel plans this year, I'd be cutting it really close if I do the Cairo run, but I'd get a bed most of it.

On the CX runs, provided I can make the same day turns (easier to do in JNB than AKL based on schedules), I can wedge these in over weekends instead of burning a whole week of vacation to do the CAI run. At least with the JNB same day turn I can grab a shower in between.

Right now I'm leaning towards the CX runs to remove all doubt as to requalifying.

Oh, the hoops we go through!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by RichVan
It's pricing out at around $4500 CAD all-in, and based on my napkin math would get me around 6000 EQDs, getting me *close* to the 12K spend, but not tipping me over. I have a set of flights on hold until lunchtime tomorrow to decide if I'm going to book it.
I paid about US$1700 for BA PE, AUS-LHR-PVG-LHR-AUS. That is with the AARP and BA Chase discounts.

From that, I'll get:
* 32k EQM
* $4268 EQD

I'm looking at another possible run in January (I like to get the year started off with a run), and AUS-LHR-KUL in PE has even better pricing. Plus the SIN do is happening then, which I've wanted to go to for years.

If you go to JNB, stay at least a night or 2. I did a run there 2 years ago. Rented a car and drove out to Pilanesburg NP. Saw a ton of wildlife there. No it isn't Kruger, but for 2 hours from town, it was extremely worthwhile.
atxtraveler likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:14 pm

@RichVan

I don't know if you've booked the MR yet, but I just completed a LAX-HKG-AKL run on CX PE over Labor Day weekend. I spent 24hrs in AKL, which was nice, especially since I had to position from PVD to LAX.

Overall, it was a nice trip and the HKG-AKL legs on the A350 were really nice. It's a huge improvement over the 777 that CX operates on most US routes. I purposely had a 14hr layover in HKR on the outbound, but it's definitely possible to have shorter connections since there are 3x daily flights to/from LAX. Admittedly, YVR has better pricing.

The AKL airport is small and easy to navigate. An immediate turn should be possible, as long as you don't check any bags. There were two fellows on my flight who did just that. Overall, I good trip and the CX PE product is quite nice. Even doing all 4 legs in PE was not a big deal.

That said, CX has quite attractive fares ex-JNB if you wanted to make this into more than a simple round trip.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:58 am

I registered for the Aadvantage re-engagement challenge to reinstate ~200K miles and I am on track to earn 10K partner miles (Thanks to the Citi card). I still have to make two round trips by the end of October. Can someone tell me the best deals on OneWorld from CLT to achieve this? No restrictions on dates. Only goal is cheaper roundtrips from Charlotte, NC.

Last edited by ngaddipati; Sep 7, 2017 at 9:18 am
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by ngaddipati
I registered for the Aadvantage re-engagement challenge to reinstate ~200K miles and I am on track to earn 10K partner miles (Thanks to the Citi card). I still have to make two round trips by the end of October. Can someone tell me the best deals on OneWorld from CLT to achieve this?
Just do CLT-NYC. You can easily do two roundtrips in a single day. Price is $148 per rt, depending on dates. This fare appears to be Basic Economy, though. Not sure if that would count toward the challenge or not.

If Basic Economy is not a valid fare class, then non-basic fares start around $185 rt.
ngaddipati likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.